What Shooter/Shmup do you despise the most?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I don't "hate" the Gradius games. I just don't like it tha you just can't relax and play them for shits n' giggles. You pretty much NEED to have to memorize everything because once you die you're pretty much fucked. They programmed them so they'd give you a mid start point with next to no power ups and a ton of enemies swarming at you from all sides. But stuff like Lifeforce (2 player on NES was what my brother and I lived on) and the Parodius series where they give you some power ups back are alright with me. I haven't had a lot of time on Otimedius, but I can tell it falls into the category with other Gradius games where you need to memorize everything.

With Grave I'll agree on the arcade Contra's. They don't hold a candle to the fun the NES versions have. I also couldn't stand Ghost Pilots. I got the MVS cart for 20 bucks when I first got my two slot motherboard and I just couldn't believe how slow it was and how many damn stages there were. I credit fed the game and got sick of it and ended up selling it for about 60 bucks, so I made out with that. I'll agree also with Skyshark. I play it a lot when I go up to Funspot. U.N Squad Arcade I also agree on. Nowhere near as fun as the SNES version.

Also, when I went to OMFG's apartment, I still have to say I can't stand Ibara and that also goes for....((Here come the flames))....Ikuraga.. Sorry. But I just like to fly and shoot. I get way too confused having to change the ship's colors back and forth. Almost all of my deaths in that game happen because I hit the damn change button at the wrong time.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
@ EG - sorry dude, I just can't get into them :(
BTW, I quite like TF AC :D

After more thinking... Ghost Pilots - I don't hate it, it's just so dull and boring and repetitive, that it's irritating... kind of like Super Spy, but with WW2 planes.

Capcom's 194X series - really do not understand why these have received so much love over the years, I really don't; but to each his own I guess.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Haha! It's all good.

Dude, TF AC is rough looking, I have to give it more time I guess.

With Ghost Pilots I feel the same way. I played it a lot when I was just getiing started with my MVS setup but I just kept asking myself; "WTF?! This is a god damn Neo, why is this game so tedious?!" Of course not all Neo games are created equally, but the mayority of the titles are good even if it's due to the fact that a lot of them are very repetitive (fighting series, shooting series, etc.) either way the library isn't horrible per say.

I got an idea, least favorite Neo games thread, I'm doing it! You guys better chime in!;)

Mero

New Challenger
There's some shooters out there that I'm not particularly keen on/don't like much, but the only one I can think of that that I really absolutely fucking despise is DFK.

Cannot stand that game, it will never darken my disc tray again.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
Being a huge shmups fan it is hard to really say but if I had to pick one then it would be Gradius. It is not a terrible game, just the least favorite of mine.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Haha! It's all good.

Dude, TF AC is rough looking, I have to give it more time I guess.

With Ghost Pilots I feel the same way. I played it a lot when I was just getiing started with my MVS setup but I just kept asking myself; "WTF?! This is a god damn Neo, why is this game so tedious?!" Of course not all Neo games are created equally, but the mayority of the titles are good even if it's due to the fact that a lot of them are very repetitive (fighting series, shooting series, etc.) either way the library isn't horrible per say.

I got an idea, least favorite Neo games thread, I'm doing it! You guys better chime in!;)

Tedious is an excellent word to describe Ghost Pilots :)

Gotta remember that TF AC is basically an early Megadrive game, so it's gonna look a little rough for an arcade game! Still, I think it plays well; takes a while to get into it tho.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Gradius has come up a lot in here, my wife loves it, I'm not so wild about it, one thing I prefer in the newer shmups to the old ones is firepower, even if that's not enough to keep me alive, I still like to be shooting out alot of my own bullets.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
yea ive noticed that gradius is getting beat up alot in here, but i still stand behind it as my fav hori shmup

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
People who don't like Gradius I'm guessing missed out on the whole 80's shmup scene.. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

One I really couldn't get I to AT ALL was Triggerheart Excelica. Man did I want to like this game... I can't believe how many people recommend it. Also couldn't get into Karous. It's sad when I get shmups for dreamcast and have to force myself to play them.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
People who don't like Gradius I'm guessing missed out on the whole 80's shmup scene..
I think you are right Chem, at least for me, I didn't play gradius in the heyday, so I had to adjust to it later, I do like it though, just not as much other hori's.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Radiant Silvergun yet.

I think it's over complicated with shit looking bosses, pompous classical music and above all, dull. Oh so very dull. The daft Engrish is the only thing I like about it.

I saw the first post in this thread was Curse on the Megadrive. Well I'd prefer to play that over RSG any day. I mean at least it's a real shooter and has some pretty catchy music.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree on the "overated, does not warrant the price tag". RSG is still a decent enough game if you learn the 3 color system and its chains, memorization is abosultely necessary to play the game for score, once you get the hang of it the game is actually quite good, it ain't no Sokyugurentai though. That's one of my fav STV shmup. Shienryu is also great if you like Raiden flavor shmups.

Thanks to the XBL release I hope to see the prices come down for the absurd price tag this game holds, I own the Saturn disc and all but I acquired it over a trade years ago, fuck the "collectors/investors" I hope the game is worth 5 bucks some day.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
People who don't like Gradius I'm guessing missed out on the whole 80's shmup scene.. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

One I really couldn't get I to AT ALL was Triggerheart Excelica. Man did I want to like this game... I can't believe how many people recommend it. Also couldn't get into Karous. It's sad when I get shmups for dreamcast and have to force myself to play them.

Yes & no.

I can't really get into Karous (& it's ilk), so I'm w/ you there.

However, I'm as 80's as they come having played Asteroids, Gyruss, Skyshark, & countless others (along w/ Gradius) upon their coin-op release.

Just. Never. Liked. Gradius.

Period.

Running into environmental shit kills me? And I'm totally underpowered upon respawning? Unfun, mang.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
And I'm totally underpowered upon respawning? Unfun, mang.
Agree with that, I think some people might see challenge there and like that, I see headache and frustration. because I suck.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I never liked Gradius until I got really into Parodius. Now I love both. The only shooter I can't stand is Psychic Storm for PCE. It looks cool but man the music is god awful, levels have long gaps where nothing happens. Yo can literally just stay in the same position shooting for half the levels and never have to dodge a thing. Then you get to the boss and there is no way to dodge their bullets and you die so fast you are like WTF was that and the whole psychic special move makes no sense whatsoever.

VGCMax

n00b
While there aren't many shooters I dislike, the terrible 'Castle of Shikigami' series comes to mind. I've managed to collect all 3 in the series, hoping that the next one would be better than the last but was disappointed every time. I'm not sure what it is exactly; they just feel cheaply made. Almost, 'doujin' like. *sigh*

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
How dare you?

But seriously, Zaxxon 3D on the Master System was really awesome for the time. I was loving that.

Oh wow, I literally played that just yesterday, fixed my 3-D glasses and played a couple of games and that was one of them, mos def revolutionary for the time

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Those w/stigmata-ism, need not apply.

I just felt like doing that.

Anyway I say Ikaruga is my least favorite puzzl...er, I mean shooter.

(fuck the word shmup)

(and double fuck that work spelled with a 'c', schmup)

(and triple fuck those that say/spell it shump)

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Well player, sir. I'm listening to stigmata-a-gogo 7inch, after that edit.

I'm starting to hate Pink Sweets.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...but I spend the entire time shooting w/ those peashooter Rose Crackers, in order to have enough charged main shot to plow through enemy buckshot every 4 seconds or so.

I feel like I'm shoveling snow off my driveway.