What Shooter/Shmup do you despise the most?

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
No polls.

Just Shooters/Shmups you can't stand and why.

Shumps can be discussed later.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
probably Curse for the Sega Mega Drive, I dont know what Micronet was thinking, but everything about that game is trash. Music, Art, Speed.....utter garbage :/
other than that I can at least play just about any old shmup...

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
*insert loli rant*

I've typed out the loli rant like twice at least here... so I won't bother. But yeah sometimes good gameplay still isn't enough to make me forgive a theme that bugs me that much.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Arrow Flash for MegaDrive because the sticker art is so nice but the game is so lame.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Carrier Airwing...for not continuing the Area 88 motif.

Man, now that I think about it...I'm still waiting for a top-down Area 88.

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
Mars Matrix, it's ugly as sin and the scoring makes absolutely no sense to me?

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
even has a kid i never liked the father...Space Invader (the original). always found it to slow for my taste...and i can't stand it today.
Another more recent one has to be Soldner-X.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
even has a kid i never liked the father...Space Invader (the original). always found it to slow for my taste...and i can't stand it today.
Another more recent one has to be Soldner-X.

ohhhh yeah soldner-X, I don't hate it...I love the graphics and the music, I just wish I enjoyed playing it...

geise

Mickey's Coach
Darwin 4081 on the Mega Drive. There is just absolutely nothing I like about this game.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
its the poor mans sidearms :lolz:

¡HYPERDYNE LOVE!
4453763b-ad56-f6ca.jpg

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Generally speaking, I hate most Konami shmups....sorry

There are a few ok ones here and there like Gradius 5, Salamander 2, and one of the Parodius games (can't remember the name..Sexy? - i had them awhile ago on the PSP collections).

Never played Otemedius and i have no desire to...looks totally lifeless.

Twinbee is probably their most consistently good series, but its been a long time since i played any of them.

But overall, i find Konami shmups boring and a chore to play.

Missile

Another Striker
Mars Matrix, it's ugly as sin and the scoring makes absolutely no sense to me?

i love Mars Matrix, it's a big ugly beast of a game with a big ugly industrial soundtrack to match. i can imagine a lot of people hating it. i just like the way it plays. i havent bothered too much with trying to get big scores on that game so can't answer that about the scoring, just trying to survive is enough for me.

I can't think of any shooters i really hate but Forgotten Worlds on the Amiga was one i bought and hardly played, not a bad conversion in some ways considering the hardware but you had to hold the joystick button and move the joystick to rotate. you normally ended up twisting all over the place when you didnt mean to.

Any schmups where you lose all your speedups when you die really annoy me. Even better just dont bother with speedups in the first place - glad Last Hope Pink Bullets went that route. Its forgiveable on R-Type but not on the games that came after.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Gradius springs instantly to mind. Never been a fan, and really don't like those mid-80's Konami shooters at all (Gradius/Salamander et al).

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Gradius springs instantly to mind. Never been a fan, and really don't like those mid-80's Konami shooters at all (Gradius/Salamander et al).

I'm w/ you on this. Matter of fact, any STG that I have to worry about the environment killing me gets down vote.

Dodging bullets & baddies is bad enough...just to have bumping into a rock kill you?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner

Another vote for Gradius. I just can't get into the style or gameplay of those shmups despite efforts to the contrary.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Heh, I originally played Gradius as Nemsis (an alternate name Konami used in some territories) and really could not get on with it at all.... a few years later, one xmas, my parents bought me Gradius and Rush 'n' Attack for the NES (bare in mind that NES carts were mega expensive in the UK in the late 80's)... I had to ask them to return Gradius; never opened it as I knew I would hate it... took it back to toys r us and swapped it for Rad Racer :)

Any hoo, anytime after I heard Konami and shmup in the same sentence I switched off. I was half-tempted to look at Parodius series, but never brought myself to try them... would like to try Axelay at some point, however.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Wow, that's so funny, I hold gradius in such high regard too. Axelay was ok but I was more impressed with gradius 3 even with all the slow down. To each his own I guess :D

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Wow, that's so funny, I hold gradius in such high regard too. Axelay was ok but I was more impressed with gradius 3 even with all the slow down. To each his own I guess :D

Well, I guess, if everyone thought Gradius was pants then I guess Konami wouldn't have made all the sequels they did!!

I don't really rate either Gate of Thunder or Lords of Thunder either.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
What's with all the Gradius hate?! WTF?! WTF?! x 100!!! Best Gradius is the first one! Life Force NES 4LF!!!!
Also, Mars Matrix is amazing! I can only assume the complainers are playing it on a PC or a DC, it looks way better in a cab! The score system is easy, kinda like Dangun Feveron, in fact is exactly like Dangun were each ship is worth 1 x gold combo which also increases your level of power. One button 4 functions what else could be asked out of a game?! Tremendous game, I wish more games shared the no hit box collision on enemies like this game does. Not a game for everyone I'm sure but people are so god damn biased towards pre-rendered sprites, I don't get it.

I share the dilike towards Soldner-X, great potential but sucky execution. One of the games I regret purchasing, same thing with 1942 and Commando 3 both DLC games and horrible at that.

Aero Fighters 1, played it after 2 and purchased on the quick for cheap money. I didn't remember the game being so god damn bad, well it's a test PCB now so not all is lost.

Radirgy, horrible, couldn't get into it, same thing with

Karows. Chaos Field was way better.

Metal Black, so ugly, so god damn ugly! Gameplay doesn't atone for how bad this game is.

Blast Wind, an overated game, nothing exceptional about it, if it wasn't that god damn expensive it wouldn't be listed here but god damn is this game crap, def not worth the price tag.

Star Force NES, I've tried, I really have I used to play this game a lot when I was a kid but this game and Star SOldier are both really lame. Yes they do the job but I rather play 1943 or Skyshark on the NES. Both meh games and still far better than the star series.

Paladin, a side scroller shump, sucks!

Ghost Pilots, I want it to like it but this game is seriously bad, if I wanna play an old WW2 type of game I'll play Skyshark, much better and yet kinda lame game.

Outzone, I wanted to love it, I really did but this game is lacking better controls. It could have been awesome like CYBattler but no they had to go dumb.

Contra and Super Contra PCBs, no where near as fun as the NES counterparts. No code no problem, it's the game that sucks not the lack of lives.

Gun Frontier, ugly, lame, slugish, over priced piece of shit. Cool art concept that's about it.

Sol Divide, oh what a joke! This game is bad, not in a so bad I wanna play it, no, just bad I suck at life for playing this.

Philosoma, oh what an overhyped piece of crap! Cool concept lame-o-rama!

Space Shot, do I really need to explain this one?

UN Squadron PCB, the problem is that is not UN Squadron SNES.

Iridion, sucks! The sequels were much better.

Thunderforce AC, oh so lame, don't play it! Don't do it!

Gratia Second Earth, ubber lame viewpoint wannabe.

THere's plenty more I just can't think of them right now.

Tarma, don't you be talking about my Lords of Thunder, that's my game! If I was a wrestler I'll have that heavy riff intro pass the Gates of Babylon riff. I'd be so awesome, I'd have an armor that hot chicks would take off before the match! I'd be the greatest!

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Also, Mars Matrix is amazing! I can only assume the complainers are playing it on a PC or a DC, it looks way better in a cab! The score system is easy, kinda like Dangun Feveron, in fact is exactly like Dangun were each ship is worth 1 x gold combo which also increases your level of power. One button 4 functions what else could be asked out of a game?! Tremendous game, I wish more games shared the no hit box collision on enemies like this game does. Not a game for everyone I'm sure but people are so god damn biased towards pre-rendered sprites, I don't get it.

I totally agree with the whole Mars Matrix on a cab vs. DC or PC. It's amazing that the game only utilizes one button. Playing the game with the volume pumped up on the cab is the way to go.

As for a game that I can't stand is Daioh (US version). Just like Radiant Silvergun, the US version has 6 buttons. Each of the 6 buttons are used for individual attacks and pickups are stored/used by its own button. Another thing that sucked about this version is that it requires a custom harness to use the extra buttons. The Japanese Version scales the game down to power up pickups replacing previous pickups and uses only 3 buttons (shot, bomb, special weapon). Overall, the gameplay is similar to other Athena titles.

For those that are on the fence about Konami shmups, I'd give Detana Twinbee or Parodius Da! a try if you haven't yet.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
As for a game that I can't stand is Daioh (US version). Just like Radiant Silvergun, the US version has 6 buttons. Each of the 6 buttons are used for individual attacks and pickups are stored/used by its own button. Another thing that sucked about this version is that it requires a custom harness to use the extra buttons. The Japanese Version scales the game down to power up pickups replacing previous pickups and uses only 3 buttons (shot, bomb, special weapon). Overall, the gameplay is similar to other Athena titles.

thats funny too, as i just got daioh recently, i just bridged a jumper and turned it into the jp version, the us is kinda cool, but i like power ups better :D

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hey Pedro! You do know that you can play Raidant silvergun with just 3 buttons right? The 6 button saturn default button setup is just that, an option. You can change it to arcade and play the game with 3 buttons and combine them for all 6 weapons. As far as Daiho I know what you mean, I just play thge jap rom, fuck that mess!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Gradius II for the Famicom was actually one of the first import titles I ever mail ordered. Can't believe Konami never released it stateside until the VC.