Samurai Shodown 64 - Videos Inside!!!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
On another board I read an interesting take on B1...someone posited that B1 was to the AOF series, what Garou was to Fatal Fury.
Only the stars of both AOF and FF made the cut and nobody else....but the style and gameplay was drastically altered.

Personally, I really liked the idea of SNK dipping its toes into the world of MMA and non fireball based combat....I wish they would release another one...even as a budget title, but lose those fucked up controls.

I think it could succeed where Virtua Fighter is failing: B1 has far more relatable and believable characters....and not with some bullshit like Italian Muay Thai fighters named Brad Burns(?)
Srsly, wtf.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
On another board I read an interesting take on B1...someone posited that B1 was to the AOF series, what Garou was to Fatal Fury.
Only the stars of both AOF and FF made the cut and nobody else....but the style and gameplay was drastically altered.

I don't see that at all. Garou was still a sequel set in a continuing game world/ story.

As far as I can tell, Buriki One has absolutely nothing to do with any previous SNK titles. Ryo's inclusion was most likely just as a treat for die hard SNK fans. Guess you could think of this Ryo as an alternate universe version

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I don't see that at all. Garou was still a sequel set in a continuing game world/ story.

As far as I can tell, Buriki One has absolutely nothing to do with any previous SNK titles. Ryo's inclusion was most likely just as a treat for die hard SNK fans. Guess you could think of this Ryo as an alternate universe version

Well, I see why you would think that....B1 is a much more drastic departure than MOTW is. And I agree MOTW is a continuation and a reboot at the same time....like SF3 was....

B1 was more like a foray into previously unexplored territory. Not so sure about the alternate universe thing since b1 characters showed up in KOF XI and Mr. Karate II has appeared in other games as well.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I agree 3D-wise but that system had some beautiful 2D stuff as you probably saw in SS64:WR.

If they wanted to use the system for 2D games it could have been great. My issue is that they didn't see 2D as marketable any longer. That's like if all artists decided to do sculpture because drawing and painting wasn't cool.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^...or comic illustrators deciding not to use inks anymore 'cause it's cool and it can be digitally "enhanced"...not!