Omega Neo Geo CMVS VS Analogue CMVS Slim

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I received my Omega today (only took 2 days to get to me) and I have to say it's a lot lighter than what I expected. It functions perfectly, but I perhaps expected that the plastic would be a bit thicker on it. I'm overall pleased with it, but at the moment, I only have a Neo Geo CD controller to use with it and the contoller port seems to be shorter than the plug on the controller, although it does fit and work. http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/Zach_Spears/P1000973_zpse11d00f1.jpg

They probably are using an off the shelf db15 connector that is not as deep as the original Neo Geo connector. It will make it easier for you to get an extension cable if you want. The ones that fit, without needing modified, in the original Neo Geo deep port are expensive.

Honestly, the reasons I went for the Omega instead of the AI (besides the price) is that I plan on making my own MVS arcade cabinet this summer. I'm not familiar enough with how the MVS works to attempt my own CMVS right now, but hopefully I will be ready once I have the money put back for this project. Also, we are moving soon and trying to build that cab in my current place would just be a hassle. I admit to being nostalgic to the AES-inspired design of the Omega, but I do like the wooden look of AI also. I just can't justify the price tag of the AI, given my current plans and money situation. I am very thankful to even own ANY cmvs, considering it's been a big dream of mine for a long time.

Boat200

New Challenger
I've got the Omega, and super happy. Build quality is excellent. The style is inline with the AES, and fits nicely with other consoles on the shelf. shadow is super at answering questions- sticks by the product, it seems.

Oneeventhorizon

Rugal's Thug
I have an Omega as well. It's a fantastic product. Well built and aesthetically pleasing. You really can't go wrong.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just ordered the Omega myself, I prefer the slick look of the plastic design and looking at photos of the interior it is a far more slick and better designed piece of kit, in my humble opinion. To each their own though but the Omega is more competitively priced and from what I hear, an amazing product. Hopefully mine will arrive to me in the UK in a couple of weeks.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I just ordered the Omega myself, I prefer the slick look of the plastic design and looking at photos of the interior it is a far more slick and better designed piece of kit, in my humble opinion. To each their own though but the Omega is more competitively priced and from what I hear, an amazing product. Hopefully mine will arrive to me in the UK in a couple of weeks.

Can anybody in the EU with a Omega verify whether when connected via RGB Scart when powering on the Omega it i) automatically switches the TV into RGB mode / selects the correct RGB AV input ii) switches to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Can anybody in the EU with a Omega verify whether when connected via RGB Scart when powering on the Omega it i) automatically switches the TV into RGB mode / selects the correct RGB AV input ii) switches to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio?

I can't attest to it myself but what I can say is that the cable provides +12v for 4:3 aspect ratio and the blanking resistor for rgb enable.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I can't attest to it myself but what I can say is that the cable provides +12v for 4:3 aspect ratio and the blanking resistor for rgb enable.

Great news, this is often overlooked, especially on systems modded for just 5V.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Great news, this is often overlooked, especially on systems modded for just 5V.

The omega is dual powered 5v/12v for other reasons but having 12v available for 4:3 aspect ratio was certainly a nice bonus.

Moria/the man

New Challenger
I'm liking my Omega. However if you get the one with built in Memory, you can't do the controller reset for the 161 in 1 cart, FYI
Good Luck!

Last edited:

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I got rid of my cmvs a few years back unfortunately and I'm looking to start collecting again.. whats the price difference between these two?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'm liking my Omega. However if you get the one with built in Memory, you can't do the controller reset for the 161 in 1 cart, FYI
Good Luck!

Thanks for the heads up. My view is that apart form maybe the baseball games where you are playing a whole season the whole memory card thing is basically redundant - bottom line is we are talking about arcade games here, which take c.a. not more than 50min - 1h to complete.
Any way to disable the memory card on a VMC system?

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up. My view is that apart form maybe the baseball games where you are playing a whole season the whole memory card thing is basically redundant - bottom line is we are talking about arcade games here, which take c.a. not more than 50min - 1h to complete.
Any way to disable the memory card on a VMC system?

There isn't a "clean" way to disable the vmc. You'd have to install a switch to toggle the memory card function. However, if you play with the 120 in 1 cart, it will still allow you to return to the game select menu with a vmc installed.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Ah so the 120in1 is fine, thats a relief as I have just ordered one of those in anticipation of my Omega arriving :)

kracken34

n00b

Hi, my first post here :-)

I also ordered the Omega 2 weeks ago. Can't wait so relive my arcade-memories (I bought a CD a few month ago, but it's just not the same...)

My questions to all Omega-orderers: How long does ist normally take until the unit is shipped? (As I said, it's 2 weeks now and quick availibility was one of the reasons for choosing the Omega instead of the Analogue.)

Greetings from a 41 year old "newbie" from Vienna.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
kracken, dont worry, you will get it still much quicker than if you ordered from analogue. also, you will be supporting a good guy instead of the asshole of analogue and you will save money not only with the price of the unit but also with shipping and import taxes. Not to mention, omega is better hardware all the way through. Welcome.

MVSbuddy

n00b
I recently received my Omega; top-notch. The craftsmanship is superb as is the detailing on the chassis. It looks and feels like a AES right out of the box.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Analogue's delivery time are insane ... it says 6-8 week on the site but you will probably wait double that time . Some people waited up to 6 months for the slave in his basement to finish the wood carving.

Both are subject to delays but the Omega is always shipped much faster then the Analogue.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Analogue's delivery time are insane ... it says 6-8 week on the site but you will probably wait double that time . Some people waited up to 6 months for the slave in his basement to finish the wood carving.

Both are subject to delays but the Omega is always shipped much faster then the Analogue.

For reference, I ordered mine when the site said 10-12 weeks and it ended up taking about 21. Christoph clearly never updates the estimate on the site. Order only if extremely patient.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I don't know why anyone would by an Analogue unit. Seriously, support the guys here that aren't out for a quick buck. Shadow and Xian Xi are both pros and quality forum members that make killer CMVSs. Support the guys that actually care about the Neo.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
For reference, I ordered mine when the site said 10-12 weeks and it ended up taking about 21. Christoph clearly never updates the estimate on the site. Order only if extremely hipster and dumb.

ftfy

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I received my Omega last week and I am thoroughly impressed. My unit arrived to me in about 4 weeks from when I placed my order, including the 2 weeks shipping time to the UK from US. I really love the plastic enclosure, top quality work and it looks extremely sleek, really not out of place at all when sat next to a PS3. Thumbs up to the Omega!