What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Yesterday I played a credit on the Punisher and I reached the 3rd boss, the tank. One credit on Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and one on Oriental Legend super special 205. OL is, in my opinion, more difficult than the average Capcom beat em up. It has great visuals with vibrand colours and a lot of going on simultaneously on screen.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Been playing Double Dragon II arcade over the last few days. The controls took a while to get used to as I played a lot of DD1 recently. I do think DD2 is a step up from the original, as some enemies require radically different strategies to tackle. Learning it bit by bit; so far I can get to the end of stage 3 consistently.

I think my biggest hurdle here is, of all things, the time limit. I can't play it safe and finish stage 3 on time, and stage 4 looks even tighter on time. No extends either, so gotta be aggressive in a controlled fashion.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Been playing Double Dragon II arcade over the last few days. The controls took a while to get used to as I played a lot of DD1 recently. I do think DD2 is a step up from the original, as some enemies require radically different strategies to tackle. Learning it bit by bit; so far I can get to the end of stage 3 consistently.

I think my biggest hurdle here is, of all things, the time limit. I can't play it safe and finish stage 3 on time, and stage 4 looks even tighter on time. No extends either, so gotta be aggressive in a controlled fashion.

It's impossible to beat Double Dragon II without getting a time over death in the last stage on defaults. Since there isn't enough time to beat the last stage, you have to die from a time over since a normal death doesn't reset the timer. I've cleared a few times and have a video if you need some strategies.

The thing that is important on stage 3 is clear the screens quickly, you can do this by damaging enemies evenly before giving the final blow, so they all die in one attack string consecutively so you can scroll the screen before the other spawns come out, you can move along faster as the timer on stage 3 is pretty tight.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Nice video!

Is 2 lives the default settings? I picked up the PS4 Arcade Archives release, which seems to think 3 lives is default. It would not be the first time Arcade Archives has fishy settings, for example Rygar defaults to easy difficulty.

Pasky

Ya 2 lives, no extends. That's according to the arcade manual. I'm guessing the PS4 release made it easier then haha. You should have a way easier time then.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Playing the Simpsons, Japan 2 player version. I forgot how much I love this game and its charm. Made it to Moe's Tavern and lost both lives on the boss. This is one that I'm definitely going to put all my efforts into a 1cc, I feel its possible, or at least up to Mr. Burns.

Pasky

Playing the Simpsons, Japan 2 player version. I forgot how much I love this game and its charm. Made it to Moe's Tavern and lost both lives on the boss. This is one that I'm definitely going to put all my efforts into a 1cc, I feel its possible, or at least up to Mr. Burns.

It's really shit to play for 1CC. Great fun when you're with friends. 1CC strats are basically jump kicks the entire game, really boring to me personally. I have a lot of nostalgia for the game also, but Konami beat em ups man... Some are good, most are just trash (gameplay wise) designed around credit feeding for Americans.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
It's really shit to play for 1CC. Great fun when you're with friends. 1CC strats are basically jump kicks the entire game, really boring to me personally. I have a lot of nostalgia for the game also, but Konami beat em ups man... Some are good, most are just trash (gameplay wise) designed around credit feeding for Americans.

Yeah the jump kick is way overpowered, but I have history with the game and I remember spending a lot of quarters on this thing. It's not super deep or anything, but I really love it.

MissFaith

New Challenger
Smashing through Knights of the Round on SNES and still love it. Every time I play this game it reminds me of those lush Crapcom D&D beat em ups on JAP Saturn. Must buy a PS soon as these are for download now, cant justify the original game price.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I was playing Sengoku 3 over the weekend and remembering all the faggits here that bitch about it and fail to recognize how good the game is, burn you fuckers, burn for your sins!

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I was playing Sengoku 3 over the weekend and remembering all the faggits here that bitch about it and fail to recognize how good the game is, burn you fuckers, burn for your sins!

S3 is Gaia Crusader's spiritual sequel. Its a bit harder to crowd control though, still love the game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
GC has more combo driven setups. S3 has more linkers that involve dashing and jumping attacks. Both great games though.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Ya 2 lives, no extends. That's according to the arcade manual. I'm guessing the PS4 release made it easier then haha. You should have a way easier time then.
Thanks, I manually changed the setting to be correct. :)

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Man, September can't come soon enough. I can't wait to get my hands on Paprium. That game's looking and sounding smooth as hell. Watermelon games should really try out Neo Geo development. If they can squeeze that much out of a Sega Genesis, I'd love to see what they can do for the Neo Geo.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I returned to King of Dragons yesterday

That's one of my favorites, still looking for a board. I really wish I could play it with 3 players one day. The difficulty is balanced just right, great music, backgrounds, really good stuff from Capcom.

I took a break from the cabs yesterday and played Double Dragon Advance. Next to SNES Double Dragon, its probably my favorite in the series, if not being a little too easy.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Pardon my ignorance, but did I miss something with Watermelon games? I mean yeah, they took ages to finally show off their game, but I wasn't aware of what else they might've done.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pardon my ignorance, but did I miss something with Watermelon games? I mean yeah, they took ages to finally show off their game, but I wasn't aware of what else they might've done.

This game is a sprite ripped cash grab of dubious (or at least unproven) quality.

Unfortunately the Neo Geo already has it's share of homebrew cash grabs of dubious quality. You already want this developer to start contributing to the existing problem?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
They really haven't showed off any gameplay. I do liked the concentrated 90s theming it oozes but that is about all we know about it.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Oh wow, blast from the past. I remember at that time I was putting in serious time with Guardians in mame. I was easily able to 1cc it with Girulian back then. I've forgotten most of those combos though.

Eventually I want to be able to do this combo:

This is more intense

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
That's one of my favorites, still looking for a board. I really wish I could play it with 3 players one day. The difficulty is balanced just right, great music, backgrounds, really good stuff from Capcom.
Simple gameplay that makes you come back all the time. Great variety of bosses and stages. Finding an original pcb can be a little difficult even though it is just an uncommon board. It took me a long time to find. Make sure you find one still on battery because patched versions aren't 100% complete and have serious bugs.

This is more intense
Awesome skill. Seems to be entertaining way to play too.

Last edited:
Man, September can't come soon enough. I can't wait to get my hands on Paprium. That game's looking and sounding smooth as hell. Watermelon games should really try out Neo Geo development. If they can squeeze that much out of a Sega Genesis, I'd love to see what they can do for the Neo Geo.

+1 to that!! Same thing here, but Ive talked to one of the creators and I think they will stick to Gen or SNES for the next project.