What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Talk about an overstatement.

You again! :) You are a cute fellow whining around here and there.

Let me play along, what does make it an overstatement?
How can you say it is not? What makes your point legit?
What do you want to invoke by your post?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Back on IGS crack with Shen Jian (The Gladiator). Learning the game and having lots of fun, can get to stage 3 on 1 credit taking the hard route. Only had a few credits with it so far, super fun game.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You again! :) You are a cute fellow whining around here and there.

Let me play along, what does make it an overstatement?
How can you say it is not? What makes your point legit?
What do you want to invoke by your post?

99% of the tools in this game are ineffective, it uses a hideous color palette, it's sprite style is questionable.
It's a nightmare to play.

That mess you and your friend creditfed through was not a piece of art!

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Gaia Crusaders. Its a little repetitive and easy, but I love the combo system. Close to a 1cc on it already.

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
99% of the tools in this game are ineffective, it uses a hideous color palette, it's sprite style is questionable.

Although you are almost right with the 99% of ineffective tools, it´s a blast to play and gives me the best feeling of cutting through your opponents in any video game. As I love swords and cutting this is a strong plus for me. Also the nostalgia comes in effect of course since I had this game on release. Anyway, the art aspect is more related to the presentation:

The music, setting, graphics, trippy hallucinogenic time travels combined withe the old japanese woodprint styles and psychadelic music is unique and makes it a piece of art. The japanese mystic creatures and 3rd boss summoning and transforming into a water dragon underlines the great art direction this game offers.

Art is a quite subjective thing though as you can see with modern art easily. So yes, all of this is my opinion and you cannot change it. If you dont like the game thats fine, I love it :) You should start enjoying your Neo Geo games instead of whining around everywhere - I am here to celebrate the great Neo Geo games I love.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Although you are almost right with the 99% of ineffective tools, it´s a blast to play and gives me the best feeling of cutting through your opponents in any video game. As I love swords and cutting this is a strong plus for me. Also the nostalgia comes in effect of course since I had this game on release. Anyway, the art aspect is more related to the presentation:

The music, setting, graphics, trippy hallucinogenic time travels combined withe the old japanese woodprint styles and psychadelic music is unique and makes it a piece of art. The japanese mystic creatures and 3rd boss summoning and transforming into a water dragon underlines the great art direction this game offers.

Art is a quite subjective thing though as you can see with modern art easily. So yes, all of this is my opinion and you cannot change it. If you dont like the game thats fine, I love it :) You should start enjoying your Neo Geo games instead of whining around everywhere - I am here to celebrate the great Neo Geo games I love.

The game contains aesthetics you enjoy. To label this game (or any for that matter) "a work of art" is short sighted. Where does one draw the line when determining which games constitute as art and which ones don't?

There are ways to objectively assess a game through certain criteria, independent of the subjective thrills derived from looks, sounds, themes.

Sengoku 2 is a broken game. You are foolishly blinded by your romanticism.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Art is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. To each their own.

Thats not to say, if its anything like the first game, the controls are clunky and gameplay is mheh...

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Art is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. To each their own.

THIS!
andsuchisdeath, I explained thoroughly why I regard it as art. Neither is this foolish nor blind.

Montatez, the second part is quite different then the first. Mostly you have swords all the time.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I love Sengoku 2 as well, but artistic preferences aside, andsuchisdeath definitely knows how broken the game really is:

Andsuchisdeath has posted a lot of solid gameplay in his youtube channel. It is worth a watch if gameplay mechanic exploration is also of interest to you imho.

Edit: Back on topic, it's been more Ikkitousen Xross Impact on psp for me.

Last edited:

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
I love Sengoku 2 as well, but artistic preferences aside, andsuchisdeath definitely knows how broken the game really is:

Andsuchisdeath has posted a lot of solid gameplay in his youtube channel. It is worth a watch if gameplay mechanic exploration is also of interest to you imho.

Edit: Back on topic, it's been more Ikkitousen Xross Impact on psp for me.

Playing the game like this explains why he has no fun with it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Whats up Luciano. I see what you're getting at, but andsuchisdeath didn't say it wasn't fun though. The opinion that you and I share about Sengoku 2's enjoyability is subjective. He said it was broken, and has demonstrated it on video. I absolutely love these games, but I can admit they aren't all without flaws.

Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favorite beat em ups of all time...but my enjoyment of it still doesn't change the fact that it is possible to simply infinite jab-stun everything in the game.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

"Fun" is subjective.

Example: There's a vocal majority who say Burning Fight is trash. However, I find it fun. And I, much like ASID, could give 2 runny shits what someone else might think.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
"Fun" is subjective.

Example: There's a vocal majority who say Burning Fight is trash. However, I find it fun. And I, much like ASID, could give 2 runny shits what someone else might think.

I like burning fight as well. Decent game for sure. Especially the hobos.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Whats up Luciano. I see what you're getting at, but andsuchisdeath didn't say it wasn't fun though.

Correct. Luciano is too busy presenting cliches about subjectivity (as if it's a concept I've never heard of) to read what's being written here.

I'll get to the "fun" topic in a bit...

Let's say Sengoku 2 is "art" for a moment (IMO video games being regarded as art is ludicrous).
If one of art's purposes is to convey...than Sengoku 2 conveys oversight and neglect.

Developers specifically made these games to generate profits in game centers. They were all designed to be cleared on 1 credit. If it's impossible to clear this game through the use of all of these tools and gimmicks found within (a huge flaw), than what exactly was this "work of art" conveying? Total disregard I suppose.

You might have "fun" "playing" Sengoku 2, but you don't understand the true nature of it's being. To have such a lack of understanding of this game and to call it a "work of art" is silly! Appreciating the art within this game is a different statement, and one rooted purely in the subjective that no one can dispute.

So before you speak ill of collectors and preach the virtues of playing one's games, Luciano, take a look at yourself first.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Correct. Luciano is too busy presenting cliches about subjectivity (as if it's a concept I've never heard of) to read what's being written here.

I... I was defending you.... :(

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I... I was defending you.... :(

That post wasn't in regard to yours!

Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favorite beat em ups of all time...but my enjoyment of it still doesn't change the fact that it is possible to simply infinite jab-stun everything in the game.

Right! The majority of my favorite games are extremely flawed. But I discern between the concepts of "I love" and "great".

My favorite film of all time could be a rip off of a movie released 3 years prior, only filled with numerous plot holes. I still love it regardless, but I understand the error in calling it a "masterpiece of film".

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Whats up Luciano. I see what you're getting at, but andsuchisdeath didn't say it wasn't fun though. The opinion that you and I share about Sengoku 2's enjoyability is subjective. He said it was broken, and has demonstrated it on video. I absolutely love these games, but I can admit they aren't all without flaws.

A mess and a nightmare to play indicates not having fun with the game, doesnt it?

Let's say Sengoku 2 is "art" for a moment (IMO video games being regarded as art is ludicrous).
If one of art's purposes is to convey...than Sengoku 2 conveys oversight and neglect.

Your cute accusations are without a fundament. You seem to take everything here quite personal and accuse everybody of things you do yourself. See the World Heroes Perfect thread.

Developers specifically made these games to generate profits in game centers. They were all designed to be cleared on 1 credit.

Although I understand and enjoy the concept of a 1cc you are destroying your own claim here. Read what you wrote.
And again, I play games on 1cc as well, mostly shmups.

If it's impossible to clear this game through the use of all of these tools and gimmicks found within (a huge flaw), than what exactly was this "work of art" conveying? Total disregard I suppose.

I described earlier where I see the art in the game and it is not the gameplay, although I enjoy it.
Also you destroy your claim by showing you made a 1cc.

You might have "fun" "playing" Sengoku 2, but you don't understand the true nature of it's being. To have such a lack of understanding of this game and to call it a "work of art" is silly! Appreciating the art within this game is a different statement, and one rooted purely in the subjective that no one can dispute.

Having fun with a game is enjoying the pure nature of a game. A game is meant to be played. Playing should be fun, things every child understands and does. Again, I called it a work of art and I told you why. Since we all agreed art, fun and one persons thoughts on things are subjective. Again you destroy your first sentence with the second.

So before you speak ill of collectors and preach the virtues of playing one's games, Luciano, take a look at yourself first.

I cannot see anything I wrote about collectors in this thread. In another thread I just said that games are meant to be played. When you got offended I tried to get calm you down with humour. Sorry for hurting your feelings, of course you can do whatever you want with your games, but hating games and playing them like a nightmare seems not so fine for me. Having games and not playing them seems to defy the essence of them. This is my opinion and I just shared it.

Finally if you are not having fun with games thats fine and your problem. Playing them with friends, enjoying them and having fun is mine.

Streets of Rage 2 is the shit! Maybe my favourite Beat em Up as well. And the music is a piece of art ;)

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Why is Streets of Rage 3 not as revered as Streets of Rage 2? And let's put aside any issues from the localization of Streets of Rage 3 - let's talk Bare Knuckle 2 vs 3.

Shouldn't 3 have everything that made 2 great and more?

I only briefly played a rom of SOR3 many many years ago.

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Why is Streets of Rage 3 not as revered as Streets of Rage 2? And let's put aside any issues from the localization of Streets of Rage 3 - let's talk Bare Knuckle 2 vs 3.

For me its the music, level design and overall style as well as the feel of the game. Gameplay wise its actually superior, you have many more options and other engine improvements.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy

I wont argue with peoples claims that SoR 2 is a great game to them because it truly is a great game but for me 3 was and is the greater game. I like the soundtrack more, i like the gameplay more, and i like the difficulty more (pertains to SoR 3 not bare knuckle).

Straight up in my opinion 3>2. It always has been for me.