What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
played injustice on the ps4 ...but that wasnt that hot...maybe i give mortal combat x a shot

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Grinding out Ninja Baseball Batman with Jose. Trying to get a time I'd be satisfied with.

Steveotron

n00b
Playing Mortal Kombat X on the XBOne. Really enjoying it, forgot how bad I was though, need an arcade stick of some sort. Anybody else playing on XBOne? Anybody using a stick?

Acromite53

n00b
Streets of Rage! I still love playing this game. The music is rocking too. I really need to find a copy of the 3rd one to play. I heard people don't like it as much but I still want to give it a try. You can play as a kangaroo in that game!

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Streets of Rage! I still love playing this game. The music is rocking too. I really need to find a copy of the 3rd one to play. I heard people don't like it as much but I still want to give it a try. You can play as a kangaroo in that game!

Same here, i need to get the 3rd one to. It sucks because it has the worst music ever.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Played a good session on TMNT '89, a very short one of The Simpsons arcade, and couldn't get anyone to play X-Men. 1 out of 3 is good in baseball at least.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Brawl brothers and sengoku 2. Loved the rushing beat games and miss Jaleco terribly.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Brawl brothers and sengoku 2. Loved the rushing beat games and miss Jaleco terribly.

Some Brawl Brothers advice.

Spoiler:
You have 6 characters. You have only three safe tools in the game. All of the safe tools belong to one character. Punching comboing enemies beyond the first stage will get you killed. Relying on grapples will get you killed. Running attacks will more often than not get you killed.

Douglass Bild is the only useable character in the game because his jump attack has a huge hitbox and is almost always safe. The hitbox on this attack can be exploited because of plane switching jumps and diagonal plane switching jumps. Directly lining yourself up with a character is dangerous so you can diagonally hop plans with jump attacks safely.

So once you have an enemy down, the factor of "ground control" comes into place. Enemies can be hit when they're down, with a unique pursuit attack (useless), a punch combo (useless) or a regrab (unsafe). Bild can take advantage of the ground with his running kick and a flame breath attack. Both moves are fairly safe and do absurd damage.

So, out of the 4 stages in the game two of them are filled with stupid gimmicks that make this style of play a huge chore to undertake (roof tops where you have two inches of space to fight on, land mines, electric floors). The health ups are poorly distributed and there are no extends.

The boss fights are dumb because your punch combo will go right through them. Straight on jump attacks will go right through them. Plane hop diagonal jump attacks go through them too unless you're Bild. If you try to grab them you'll get grabbed first. If you successfully land a grab there is a high chance the grab will be reversed beyond a stage 2 boss fight.

So the game revolves around hurding a crew of three enemies to one side, knocking them down with a jump attack, and Yakuza kicking them or yoga flaming them when they're down. There is no other way.

One helpful gimmick in this game is the ikari mode. When you take enough damage you'll flash red and you'll be invincible for maybe 45 seconds. This is very helpful in safely moving your sprite to the appropriate side of the screen, as well as for boss fights. Ikari mode grabs are great in these fights. Two ikari ddts + yoga flame does maybe 35% damage. When you're not in ikari against the bosses, you need to land diagonal plane hop attacks and cross your fingers that they'll connect.

Also there is a code for Brawl Brothers that runs the game as the Japan version (no labyrinths).

From gamefaqs "To play as the easier Japanese version, sequentially and repeatedly press B, A, X, Y at the white screen with the Jaleco logo until it disappears. If done right, you'll arrive at a glitched screen. Now, press Start, then Down three times and Start again. You'll be at the options screen and when you exit, you'll see the Japanese title screen. Now start your game and enjoy the original version of the game."

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Some Brawl Brothers advice.

Spoiler:
You have 6 characters. You have only three safe tools in the game. All of the safe tools belong to one character. Punching comboing enemies beyond the first stage will get you killed. Relying on grapples will get you killed. Running attacks will more often than not get you killed.

Douglass Bild is the only useable character in the game because his jump attack has a huge hitbox and is almost always safe. The hitbox on this attack can be exploited because of plane switching jumps and diagonal plane switching jumps. Directly lining yourself up with a character is dangerous so you can diagonally hop plans with jump attacks safely.

So once you have an enemy down, the factor of "ground control" comes into place. Enemies can be hit when they're down, with a unique pursuit attack (useless), a punch combo (useless) or a regrab (unsafe). Bild can take advantage of the ground with his running kick and a flame breath attack. Both moves are fairly safe and do absurd damage.

So, out of the 4 stages in the game two of them are filled with stupid gimmicks that make this style of play a huge chore to undertake (roof tops where you have two inches of space to fight on, land mines, electric floors). The health ups are poorly distributed and there are no extends.

The boss fights are dumb because your punch combo will go right through them. Straight on jump attacks will go right through them. Plane hop diagonal jump attacks go through them too unless you're Bild. If you try to grab them you'll get grabbed first. If you successfully land a grab there is a high chance the grab will be reversed beyond a stage 2 boss fight.

So the game revolves around hurding a crew of three enemies to one side, knocking them down with a jump attack, and Yakuza kicking them or yoga flaming them when they're down. There is no other way.

One helpful gimmick in this game is the ikari mode. When you take enough damage you'll flash red and you'll be invincible for maybe 45 seconds. This is very helpful in safely moving your sprite to the appropriate side of the screen, as well as for boss fights. Ikari mode grabs are great in these fights. Two ikari ddts + yoga flame does maybe 35% damage. When you're not in ikari against the bosses, you need to land diagonal plane hop attacks and cross your fingers that they'll connect.

I've never spent much time with this game growing up, but from the way you just described this, it sounds like this game gets almost unplayable past stage 2.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've never spent much time with this game growing up, but from the way you just described this, it sounds like this game gets almost unplayable past stage 2.

Yeah, the game pretty much sucks IMO.

It's very difficult to ascertain what's safe and or effective. Including Bild's, most of the character's moves in the game won't provide enough hit-stun to allow you to finish combos. If you try a throw heavy approach, you're going to get grabbed by the enemies first from the stage 1 boss and beyond. There might be effective routes other than what I've illustrated above, but I've never seen a display of them.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Yeah, the game pretty much sucks IMO.

It's very difficult to ascertain what's safe and or effective. Including Bild's, most of the character's moves in the game won't provide enough hit-stun to allow you to finish combos. If you try a throw heavy approach, you're going to get grabbed by the enemies first from the stage 1 boss and beyond. There might be effective routes other than what I've illustrated above, but I've never seen a display of them.

Sup bud
Didn't know about slash's hit box and attacks being that beastly. I usually use Kazan and Lord J.
I've been using that code since 1994 :) it makes the sewer level and the elevator level completely linear and not like the mazes they are.

The music is fantastic and it's not that bad of a beat Em up. The other 2 games are slower paced. Own those bad boys boxed USA and JAPANESE copies.

Guys play the UC COPS on snes?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The other 2 games are slower paced. Own those bad boys boxed USA and JAPANESE copies.

Guys play the UC COPS on snes?

Yeah, I really don't care for the first RB. Shura/Syura/Peacekeepers is alright. It's a little more forgiving than Ran/BB, barring the the pirate boss on the Golden Gate bridge where I did some ghetto time consuming trick to kill him. SFC Undercover Cops is surprisingly acceptable for what it is, but It's obviously no equivalent or substitute for the arcade original.

On a different note, I recently 1cc'd Shadow Force by the skin of my teeth.

shadowf.jpg

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I spent a little time playing Annette Futatabi yesterday and it's every bit as bad as I remember it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I just copied everything from a video with what appears to be the best character in the game. And the "Japan" version is easier.

*blushes*

IN all honesty I think this is the best time to be a gamer, all these tools we have just leave very little room to not be good at the games, all it takes it's some dedication. I love learning from videos, so yeah I didn't learn it on my own, I know, sometimes that's extremely rewarding but there are some things that we'll just never be able to figure it out, that's what's cool about videos, it's almost like watching someone play the game at the arcade over their shoulder.

Congrats!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
IN all honesty I think this is the best time to be a gamer, all these tools we have just leave very little room to not be good at the games, all it takes it's some dedication. I love learning from videos, so yeah I didn't learn it on my own, I know, sometimes that's extremely rewarding but there are some things that we'll just never be able to figure it out, that's what's cool about videos, it's almost like watching someone play the game at the arcade over their shoulder.

Congrats!

Yeah I agree. I expressed my take on videos awhile back in this thread.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...out-looking-up-strategies-watching-videos-etc

Clearing Shadow Force happened to be the fast track to the path of least resistance. Eventually I plan on doing a much better run with a different character.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Got the 1CC today for Warriors of Fate/ Tenchi Wo Kurau II, Saturn port.

2,507,300 with 4 lives in stock using Kan-U.

Hey dumbass, ever heard of making sure a port's default settings match the arcade's defaults?

Anyways, I got a legit Warriors Of Fate 1cc today. Arcade defaults, normal with one extend at 300,000.

I died twice on stage 8, but smelled like a rose everywhere else. Now I probabbly smell like B.O. Time to hit the showerz.

wofscore.jpg

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I always wondered how many people filled their mouths saying and posting 1CC runs on ports, most of them don't even realize the ports are usually easier.

Same thing with Neo Turf Masters, all the fuckers playing it on AES mode fail to realize that it defaults to a much easier level than MVS. Same thing for Pocket NTM, it's default setting is easy, doesn't count for me, normal or bust.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Who knows, but probably not that many these days.

I'm going to assume that if someone said to themselves "Hey, I'm going to take up arcade game X for serious(ish) play", that person would probably go to MAME. Or maybe buy the board, game depending.

Last edited: