What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Fuck reviewers, looking back at all those magazines from back in the day I can't help but laugh at the lack of knowledge...great screenshots and cool presentation but poor reviews. Even choice of games is poor, just what was trendy at the time I guess.

The KOF '95 review was so sick though, it had this spread shot of the AOF stage like a T you know bottom elevator and stuff, so rad...good times.

Reviews are biased, all of them, specially from those fuckwads that get free shit, they have no business reviewing shit, they're biased 'cause it's free, the impartiality goes out the window...lame and unethical, trendy douches.

Oh of course. But you know that there are competant people out there, who know better, that still say "Uhh Golden Axe III is terrible. Uhhh I think, right?". There is no doubt that the game's poor word of mouth reputation is more influenced by baseless reviews as opposed to a playing experience.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
How can you bypass a golden axe game with a black panther in favor of douchenet reviews?! HOW?!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
How can you bypass a golden axe game with a black panther in favor of douchenet reviews?! HOW?!

Seriously! I don't see how people aren't stimulated by the game at least on a superficial level. The graphics are good. The music is excellent!

I mean sure, black panther BC attack kind of breaks the game..but it's not like that fact was ever stated in any of those silly reviews.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Seriously! I don't see how people aren't stimulated by the game at least on a superficial level. The graphics are good. The music is excellent!

I mean sure, black panther BC attack kind of breaks the game..but it's not like that fact was ever stated in any of those silly reviews.

Hey I know, BC is where is at, cheapness knows no bounds when it comes to the cheapster of all cheapsters.

We should play some games soon. I got some knights of valor you could try and Gladiator, you gotta try them. Gladiator cemented my crowd control saavyness, of course it's tailored for it but it makes you more aware of crowd control technics.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hey I know, BC is where is at, cheapness knows no bounds when it comes to the cheapster of all cheapsters.

We should play some games soon. I got some knights of valor you could try and Gladiator, you gotta try them. Gladiator cemented my crowd control saavyness, of course it's tailored for it but it makes you more aware of crowd control technics.

I'm down. I've yet to play Gladiator.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Recently, I've been having an absolute blast with Sengoku 3 for the SNK Neo•Geo MVS. It's just a really fun little beat 'em up game. Plus, it's made by Noise Factory: a company that has really come to impress me. :cool:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
is that a beat´em up ? mhm

always and forever KOF 98 and 2002, till the end of time...

Every 2 pages or so there has to be someone who doesn't know the difference between fighting and beat 'em up games :shame::keke:

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I played through Bucky O'Hare the other day. I have a Simpsons cabinet in my basement with the Simpsons, Turtles in Time, and Sunset Rider's pcb's in it. Bucky O'Hare is one I always wanted to snag, never had an oppurtunity to grab it though.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I just played a few minutes of Golden Axe on the Sega Smash Pack for the Nintendo GameBoy Advance. It was fun enough. But, I have the sinking feeling that the original version on the Sega Genesis is far, far superior. ;)

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
For a while I've been playing Batman Returns on the SNES. It's a pretty fun game, but of course it is, since it's made by Konami.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Every 2 pages or so there has to be someone who doesn't know the difference between fighting and beat 'em up games :shame::keke:

The eternal struggle of language barrier can be easily overcome by following the universal rules of understanding and thus without delay I will reiterate the answer to all knuckle buster meaning...

You fucken brits. Beat 'em ups stands for Brawlers, you know final fight, D&D, stuff like that. I know you guys use the term to describe fighters which is dumb but so is the term beat 'em ups, too loosey goosey. Call it Brawlers, bad ass man call them Brawlers, Brawlers is where is at.

Take One

Dude: "Today I played a beat 'em up!"
Pal: "What the fuck is that supposed to mean you fucken fuck?"
Dude: "...aaarrrgggh..."

Take II

Dude: "Today I played a brawler!"
Pal: "Dude, you're awesome!"

Let the words do the work for you, don't settle for anything less, sound awesome!

A lesson never to be forgotten...

DeusVult

Another Striker
played Nekketsu Oyako on the sega Saturn for the first time seems okay, system doesn't seem to have many scrolling beat em ups

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I 1cc'd Rushing Beat Ran.

I don't know how casual fans of the genre are entertained by this game or series...

As far as RBR goes, this version doesn't have the labyrinth non-sense from Brawl Brothers, but it's still a messy mixed bag of cool ideas and poor programing (which may be unintentional or is an intentional way to ramp up the difficulty).

You have 6 characters. You have only three safe tools in the game. All of the safe tools belong to one character. Punching comboing enemies beyond the first stage will get you killed. Relying on grapples will get you killed. Running attacks will more often than not get you killed.

Douglass Bild is the only useable character in the game because his jump attack has a huge hitbox and is almost always safe. The hitbox on this attack can be exploited because of plane switching jumps and diagonal plane switching jumps. Directly lining yourself up with a character is dangerous so you can diagonally hop plans with jump attacks safely.

So once you have an enemy down, the factor of "ground control" comes into place. Enemies can be hit when they're down, with a unique pursuit attack (useless), a punch combo (useless) or a regrab (unsafe). Bild can take advantage of the ground with his running kick and a flame breath attack. Both moves are fairly safe and do absurd damage.

So, out of the 4 stages in the game two of them are filled with stupid gimmicks that make this style of play a huge chore to undertake (roof tops where you have two inches of space to fight on, land mines, electric floors). The health ups are poorly distributed and there are no extends.

The boss fights are dumb because your punch combo will go right through them. Straight on jump attacks will go right through them. Plane hop diagonal jump attacks go through them too unless you're Bild. If you try to grab them you'll get grabbed first. If you successfully land a grab there is a high chance the grab will be reversed beyond a stage 2 boss fight.

So the game revolves around hurding a crew of three enemies to one side, knocking them down with a jump attack, and Yakuza kicking them or yoga flaming them when they're down. There is no other way.

One helpful gimmick in this game is the ikari mode. When you take enough damage you'll flash red and you'll be invincible for maybe 45 seconds. This is very helpful in safely moving your sprite to the appropriate side of the screen, as well as for boss fights. Ikari mode grabs are great in these fights. Two ikari ddts + yoga flame does maybe 35% damage. When you're not in ikari against the bosses, you need to land diagonal plane hop attacks and cross your fingers that they'll connect.

Don't get me started on the aesthetics either. I can appreciate honky tonk art style in a lot of games, but it doesn't do it for me here.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I got the 1cc for Crest Of Wolf on the PC Engine.

It's really not that bad. It's a little tedious, but the game is easy and you start with maybe five or six lives, and receive extends on every stage (all five of them).

The easiest tactic is to jump attack all day. The hitbox on your jump kick takes up multiple planes, so you can be on a plane almost 1/4 inch south or north of an enemie's, and the jump kick will connect.

I used Tony because his mohawk is cool and the tattoos on his head are even cooler. The game's ending/credits theme is pretty fantastic too, even though the music in the game is bad overall.