What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

mirkvid

n00b
We played through D&D 2 last week for the first time and had lots of fun. The spells in that game look great and there are a lot of cool characters to use. I think we're going to play Captain Commando next.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Not really a straight up beat em' up but I just started playing Zoku Mikami Densetsu for the first time. Haven't had enough time in it yet to judge anything, but it is a game I want to continue playing. I'm sure a lot know about the game but for those that don't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Bishin

I picked up Zoku a couple of months ago. I need to be very patient with it. The racing parts...well I'm just like "duuhhh I'm lost" and it's game over.

The belt scrolling parts...could be fun, but I haven't spent much time there yet. Obviously it's framey/choppy to the extreme..but there could be something cool there.

For whatever reason I love the intro theme!

geise

Mickey's Coach
I love the theme to Zoku as well. I also got lost as shit my first play through haha! I am really going to have to have time to sit down with it and be in the mood to play.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I repeat Final Fight, the original arcade soundtrack and the SNES/SFC version, has a fucking amazing soundtrack.
it's not subjective
and it is leagues better the the admittedly very decent but out of place Mega CD iteration

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
and it is leagues better the the admittedly very decent but out of place Mega CD iteration

Say whaaaaaa

Cant really speak for the arcade version as more hours put into the home consoles but how is the SNES version (which is missing a character for starters) better than FFCD, with a CD quality soundtrack/better graphics/multi options? The GBA version is even better than the SNES verison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6TmJEbg2U&list=PL459CDC89F6070103&index=2

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Say whaaaaaa

Cant really speak for the arcade version as more hours put into the home consoles but how is the SNES version (which is missing a character for starters) better than FFCD, with a CD quality soundtrack/better graphics/multi options? The GBA version is even better than the SNES verison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6TmJEbg2U&list=PL459CDC89F6070103&index=2

Talking soundtrack bud.
No the GBA version isnt't better, I had it at launch, it was fun, but the difficulty seems way toned down, and there's something jolting about the game can't put my finger on it.

Graphics on MegaCD version aren't better, colour palette is as important as anything else IMO.

Too much is made of the lack of 2 player the missing level and the 3rd player on the SUPER FAMICOM version (SNES version is not in discussion here).
It was one of the first games to come out for the console, it was the best looking and playing beat em up for console at the time by a country mile, and AS A CONSOLE GAME AND NOT A PORT, it's a fantastic game.
I'm not too fond of ports messing with the formula as much as they did on FFCD, unless it's an overhaul. The soundtrack on that version is undoubtedly lovely, but I like videogame music that sounds like it is being produced by the sound chip, the music from CD systems and onwards, who can argue that there aren't great tunes to be had? But it's just prerecorded music, nothing about it particularly fascinating. If Metallica had released their own OST of the FF music, would that be better or worse? Or would you maybe not give a fuck? I don't particularly care about redone music for a CD system.

Last edited:

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
...colour palette is as important as anything else IMO.

To be fair, I do remember the colours looking pretty shitty, even grainy.

Yeah the music is redone, but to me a CD soundtrack sounds better than chiptunes, each to their own I guess. I love me some slap bass..

FF still rocking on the SNES, was one of my launch title purchases, good times...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Just watched a video of the GBA version. It's pretty horrible. The title and select screens are gaudy, the colors are way too saturated, they've shrunk the screen down in size but not the characters which makes it look like shit, and various other things.

I'm not saying "I'm right you're wrong" but it really is an apples and pears scenario here. One soundtrack sounds like videogame music, and functions perfectly with the whole look of the game, whereas the other is that same music recorded and slapped on to an old game. It's not about aesthetic tastes is what I'm saying, we all have our tastes and they are subjective, but I find it ludicrous to compare these two things in terms of quality. The quality of the music as chip music goes is amazing. The quality of the music of the CD version is great but it's just prerecorded music.
In the end the reason I go apeshit when raving about the SFC version of FF isn't just nostalgia but having played it extensively ever since it came out, I've always been mesmerized by the game technically, on a mechanical level. FF is a simplified version of SF2 where you fight multiple different characters at the time instead of just one opponent. That's how I see it. This is why Capcom, Konami, and whoever where such beasts at the time. They made games that where tight as fuck back then, still hold up today because of this. They are technical marvels.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Talking soundtrack bud.
No the GBA version isnt't better, I had it at launch, it was fun, but the difficulty seems way toned down, and there's something jolting about the game can't put my finger on it.

Graphics on MegaCD version aren't better, colour palette is as important as anything else IMO.

Too much is made of the lack of 2 player the missing level and the 3rd player on the SUPER FAMICOM version (SNES version is not in discussion here).
It was one of the first games to come out for the console, it was the best looking and playing beat em up for console at the time by a country mile, and AS A CONSOLE GAME AND NOT A PORT, it's a fantastic game.
I'm not too fond of ports messing with the formula as much as they did on FFCD, unless it's an overhaul. The soundtrack on that version is undoubtedly lovely, but I like videogame music that sounds like it is being produced by the sound chip, the music from CD systems and onwards, who can argue that there aren't great tunes to be had? But it's just prerecorded music, nothing about it particularly fascinating. If Metallica had released their own OST of the FF music, would that be better or worse? Or would you maybe not give a fuck? I don't particularly care about redone music for a CD system.

That out of place version you speak of is still one my favorite games and I prefer the FF Cd music over the original arcade. Yes, the palette is off but the graphics and gameplay are closer to the arcade than the Snes/Sfc Version. The only port from that time that came really close to the arcade was the X68k version which I think is the best one overall.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
That out of place version you speak of is still one my favorite games and I prefer the FF Cd music over the original arcade. Yes, the palette is off but the graphics and gameplay are closer to the arcade than the Snes/Sfc Version. The only port from that time that came really close to the arcade was the X68k version which I think is the best one overall.

I get you, what I said about something being out of place was related to the music, felt like a strange formula (same graphics new music), but it is only an opinion.
I understand what you are saying with regards to accuracy of port. I am simply arguing that SFC FF is a decent arcade port and an excellent console game, which cuts down certain aspects to reinforce others, a gamble I think works overall. It is a very tasteful and well thought out port, that is why it has my highest esteem.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I get you, what I said about something being out of place was related to the music, felt like a strange formula (same graphics new music), but it is only an opinion.
I understand what you are saying with regards to accuracy of port. I am simply arguing that SFC FF is a decent arcade port and an excellent console game, which cuts down certain aspects to reinforce others, a gamble I think works overall. It is a very tasteful and well thought out port, that is why it has my highest esteem.

Fair Enough brother.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've always envisioned final fight one to be a remix of the arcade: more enemies, different spawns, but the core gameplay is all still there for the most part with rapid punching infinites and strike grabs..They also give more lives in that port due to extends and enemies can deal crazy damage on you compared to the arcade with one hit. Boss ai is a little different too on SNES/CD/GBA vs Arcade.

Final Fight CD is a lot more faithful to the spawns of the arcade, but some are delayed. The greatest example I can think of is when fighting the hit squad you only fight 4 people at once instead of 8, much better than SNES where you only fight three at one time iirc. I did like how SNES had enemies in a room similar to where you get the 2x chicken from the chandeliers. I've always thought the hit squad should've been placed in there vs what we got in arcade. Also you can rapid punch in SNES but can't in Sega CD due to limitations of the port, which means no true infinites and in general leaving yourself more open to counter attacks from enemies.

But yeah you do know you can play arcade Final fight on mame with the Sega CD music? Big Blue Frontend, aka bulbousbeard aka can't see the full camel on Aladdin had a video on it.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I've always envisioned final fight one to be a remix of the arcade: more enemies, different spawns, but the core gameplay is all still there for the most part with rapid punching infinites and strike grabs..They also give more lives in that port due to extends and enemies can deal crazy damage on you compared to the arcade with one hit. Boss ai is a little different too on SNES/CD/GBA vs Arcade.

Final Fight CD is a lot more faithful to the spawns of the arcade, but some are delayed. The greatest example I can think of is when fighting the hit squad you only fight 4 people at once instead of 8, much better than SNES where you only fight three at one time iirc. I did like how SNES had enemies in a room similar to where you get the 2x chicken from the chandeliers. I've always thought the hit squad should've been placed in there vs what we got in arcade. Also you can rapid punch in SNES but can't in Sega CD due to limitations of the port, which means no true infinites and in general leaving yourself more open to counter attacks from enemies.

But yeah you do know you can play arcade Final fight on mame with the Sega CD music? Big Blue Frontend, aka bulbousbeard aka can't see the full camel on Aladdin had a video on it.

That's a really cool hack thanks for sharing.
My main problem with FFOne is the reduced screen size (the screen appears to be zoomed in) but permanence of character size. Also art direction is in bad taste imo. Uneven and generally poor.
What part of the game do you fight 3 enemy at once vs 8 on the arcade? I know there was a reduction of characters on screen at the same time but there are times where you are facing 4 if not more characters at the same time I seem to recall. Could be wrong

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Oh I was talking about snes version. GBA one sends way more enemies at you, a lot of the times more than the arcade.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
btw, anyone ever try this out? Can be played on real hardware:
Looks cool as hell. I love this type of hack. Something similar was done with the MD version of altered beast and that also incorporated arcade voice samples. I wonder if anyone has made repro carts with these new attributes, I'd even love to see an original cart be gutted and with this installed on a chip.
I think Golden Axe also got similar treatment, don't recall

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Yeah its a lot easier simply due to the fact you get like 9 lives or more if you include extends. I've had Axels/Poisons hit me though for crazy damage, a few times even taking off 90% of my hp. Cid and Billy aka Poison/Roxy are a lot more aggressive in the GBA version and use their heel forward kick liberally. Here is a shitty run I did.

I've read that Sega CD and SNES cpu AI difficulty can vary quite a bit the minute you credit up for the next 16 games arbitrarily iirc, not sure if it applies to Arcade. With this in mind,I have noticed on my 1CC arcade runs that the AI can act a lot like a harder difficulty.

Also that mod is pretty cool. I wonder if its possible to put back fast rapid punches though.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah its a lot easier simply due to the fact you get like 9 lives or more if you include extends. I've had Axels/Poisons hit me though for crazy damage, a few times even taking off 90% of my hp. Cid and Billy aka Poison/Roxy are a lot more aggressive in the GBA version and use their heel forward kick liberally. Here is a shitty run I did.

I've read that Sega CD and SNES cpu AI difficulty can vary quite a bit the minute you credit up for the next 16 games arbitrarily iirc, not sure if it applies to Arcade. With this in mind,I have noticed on my 1CC arcade runs that the AI can act a lot like a harder difficulty.

Also that mod is pretty cool. I wonder if its possible to put back fast rapid punches though.
Thanks for sharing the video, was fun to watch. I would give anything for Capcom to have made a proper sequel back then (not those shitty ones for the SNES, though Mighty Final Fight (not a sequel) is fab)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
(not those shitty ones for the SNES, though Mighty Final Fight (not a sequel) is fab)

C'mon. Put things in perspective.

Mechanically FF2 is SNES FF1 sans the theme and imagery.

FF3 doesn't try to be like the first 2, which is great. That crazy engine!

Obviously a proper AC Final Fight sequel should be 100 times better than the SNES games...but if you can find a way to enjoy SNES FF1, then finding at least some enjoyment in 2 or 3 shouldn't be out of the question.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
C'mon. Put things in perspective.

Mechanically FF2 is SNES FF1 sans the theme and imagery.

FF3 doesn't try to be like the first 2, which is great. That crazy engine!

Obviously a proper AC Final Fight sequel should be 100 times better than the SNES games...but if you can find a way to enjoy SNES FF1, then finding at least some enjoyment in 2 or 3 shouldn't be out of the question.

Can't deny that logic. Fair game. Mechanically it's faithful and that in itself makes it a worthwhile play

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
So yesterday I was playing Abodox while my daughters were in the kitchen with my wife. Eventually my 5 year old came into the room and wanted attention, and Abodox requires a lot of focus, so I asked her if she wanted to play a game together. We played TMNT 2, and she loved it, picked it right up. We made it through the first few levels before we called it quits. Earlier tonight we played TMNT 3, and got to the 3rd level before finishing up.

After playing them both for the first time in ages, I can say that the 3rd game is so much better than the 2nd. The second level which takes place in the ocean on surfboards and then on an aircraft carrier is awesome. Much more diverse game level wise, but especially enemy-wise. It seems like almost every group of enemies you encounter is different than the last instead of having just a handful of the same ones with palette swaps in the 2nd game. I'm going to sit down and play through the 3rd game for real in the next few days. I really dig it.