What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Right, seibu beat 'em up, pretty surreal. I agree, the game is challenging but not frustrating.

I do think Ace is the second to worst character in the game, however I did manage to clear the game with him and made a video *don't blame you if you don't want to see and want savor the joy of devising strats *

Spin is by far the easiest character to clear the game with in my experience, followed by Big 0. Ace seems marginally better than Speed. Can't remember exactly why, maybe his neutral position combo ender has quicker recovery.

Is the default on your board hard with no extend? It appears that mine was, so all of my runs were done on that setting.

Pretty sure OG Zero team grants an extend(s) by default, but just wanted to be sure New didn't.

Mine was set on hard with no extends too. Interesting run, thats pretty similar to how I play. I made it to the final stage today, but one thing I didn't realize until I put more time in, your health does not refill after a boss. You really need to manage those health items and learn their locations. Also, the bigger enemies do a lot of damage, its key to not let them touch you at all.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gear Fighter Dendoh (PS1/2001) -- I didn't like it as much as MadStalker, but it's nevertheless a great single-plane mecha-brawler featuring pre-rendered sprites, hand-drawn backgrounds and some 3d versus fighting intermezzos

Technically it's blessed with a constant 60fps during the brawler part and a shaky 30fps for the 3d fights. The latter are fortunately short enough not to disturb the whole game.

The best part though are the controls, which offer a perfect combination of precision & an intuitive approach for the player. The audio-visuals get better with each level and the wordy japanese cut-scenes can be easily skipped with your start button.

All in all: Highly recommended!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Currently I'm shooting for a Batman Returns SNES no continue run but the thing is I find myself just doing drop kicks a lot more than anything else, reminds me of my days of Double Dragon NES against the dual Abobos in mission 3, so...I dunno, maybe that's nto the best way and I could watch replays and what have you...but I figure why not ask the brawlers here for some advice. Is spamming drop kicks frowned upon? I'm still trying to crowd control as usual...

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Knights of Valour 2: New Legend - This one is a pleasure to play. I miss some kind of a throw mechanic, but I've enjoyed the selectable upgrades. It's a long game as well, with plenty of branching paths. I have only started playing it, completing it once. I did take different paths for the first two choices you get, but I still haven't been to most stages shown during the attract mode. The game definitely has some serious replay value.

I haven't played the PGM versions of KoV2, so I'm curious about the differences. Is the PGM2 version the "ultimate" one? I know there's the regular one, and the Nine Dragons. Does anyone know what was added over the two installments which came after the original release?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
9twYYEv.jpg

Sorry for the karou picture, I had to take it fast. I managed to 1 credit clear Final Fight with Cody.

I haven't played this in a few weeks so I decided to coin it up and play a round of it. To my surprise I managed to get the clear with Cody on my first attempt in ages. Hit squad got owned and didn't get any confirmed kills off me.

Only character I still need to clear with is Guy as I already cleared with Haggar.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
9twYYEv.jpg

Sorry for the karou picture, I had to take it fast. I managed to 1 credit clear Final Fight with Cody.

^ Awesome. I'll do it one of these days...

I've been playing the SNES port of Knights Of The Round and I finally have the hang of things after quite a few years of off and on playing.

I'm able to reach the final stage now. I'd like to eventually start playing AC KOTR. Not that the port is an adequate prep course for it though.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
^ Awesome. I'll do it one of these days...

I've been playing the SNES port of Knights Of The Round and I finally have the hang of things after quite a few years of off and on playing.

I'm able to reach the final stage now. I'd like to eventually start playing AC KOTR. Not that the port is an adequate prep course for it though.

KOTR is a tough one. You need to learn that guard mechanic really well to get a 1cc. Pasky can probably chime in with more advice.

Now that I'm done with New Zero Team, I am slowly working on King of Dragons. Would love to find a board one day, but as for now, playing the Capcom classics on the psp.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
KOTR is a tough one. You need to learn that guard mechanic really well to get a 1cc. Pasky can probably chime in with more advice.

Now that I'm done with New Zero Team, I am slowly working on King of Dragons. Would love to find a board one day, but as for now, playing the Capcom classics on the psp.

You need to learn it well on the port too :keke: Granted, it's KOTR lite and I'm pressing X, but still.

Did you clear NZT with Ace?

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
I have gone back to Metamorphic Force with the dumb idea that I might be able to 1cc it lol! Guess it's time to me to get a rom burner and burn me a JP set. The countdown makes the game near impossible. I can get to level 4, but then I run out. Claude is who I typically use.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Knights of Valour 2: New Legend - This one is a pleasure to play. I miss some kind of a throw mechanic, but I've enjoyed the selectable upgrades. It's a long game as well, with plenty of branching paths. I have only started playing it, completing it once. I did take different paths for the first two choices you get, but I still haven't been to most stages shown during the attract mode. The game definitely has some serious replay value.

I haven't played the PGM versions of KoV2, so I'm curious about the differences. Is the PGM2 version the "ultimate" one? I know there's the regular one, and the Nine Dragons. Does anyone know what was added over the two installments which came after the original release?
New Legend version has character save feature, maybe using cards. Other than that I don't know. I have Nine Dragons on PGM

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I have gone back to Metamorphic Force with the dumb idea that I might be able to 1cc it lol! Guess it's time to me to get a rom burner and burn me a JP set. The countdown makes the game near impossible. I can get to level 4, but then I run out. Claude is who I typically use.

Oh, playing as Max (DROPKICK) on a JP set, ...very 1cc'able.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Does Yakuza 0 count? Yakuza is still the shit! Even with this sorta dated battle system.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
JarofMayo and myself played Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon. We both managed to 1CC it on default difficulty and settings.

Our next step is to turn up the difficulty or do deathless.

Final scores were 1P Rei-606,000 and 2P Sailor Jupiter 398,600

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Back in the arcade days I use to blow my first quarter on this game every time. Easy 1cc.

I usually hit a wall on the dreamland stage with the devil barts, but I managed to get through it and went all the way to burns. Made a lot of mistakes on the TV station and Smithers. Smithers has two patterns, but this weekend I'll probably get the 1cc.

Who do you usually use? I use homer.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I usually hit a wall on the dreamland stage with the devil barts, but I managed to get through it and went all the way to burns. Made a lot of mistakes on the TV station and Smithers. Smithers has two patterns, but this weekend I'll probably get the 1cc.

Who do you usually use? I use homer.

Its been a lot of years, but Bart was my man. Homer was my second choice.

If I recall isnt Homer's reach shorter then some of the others? If not it must have felt that way.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Its been a lot of years, but Bart was my man. Homer was my second choice.

If I recall isnt Homer's reach shorter then some of the others? If not it must have felt that way.

Homers jump attack (attack+jump at the same time) has a decent reach, can nail groups that way. I'll try bart this weekend too.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
There is a guy close to me that has the full cabinet in his shop, I have been wanting to see if he would part with it.

If only I had the room....

Luck by the way you'll get it. Good game, great game.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Generator Rex: Agent of Providence on the NDS (I believe it's also available on 3DS too). It's based on a Cartoon Network animated show which in turn was based on a short-lived Image comic book. The main character can change his body into all sorts of mechanical constructs which you can freely switch between on the fly (a sword, giant fists, big stomping boots, and a huge cannon are the main four). I've only played through the first few stages thus far, but, it's pretty cool. I particularly liked the gigantic first boss, which had kind of a Shadow of the Colossus feel because you have to run up his arm and attack a face on his shoulder.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Played through the Final Fight arcade last night. It took me a few credits; hey, I'm not andsuchisdeath. What's incredible about it is that you frequently take on up to 7 or 8 dudes at a time and there's no slowdown. I will say that the music is pretty meh for the most part, and the sound effects are ear sores. It really makes you appreciate the kick ass music and sound of the Sega CD version.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^ That's flattering but I've never 1cc'd Final Fight.

So you're no pasky, chu chu flamingo, liquid snake, *insert countless other people*

I mean, Final Fight OST is pretty legendary but the enjoyment of music is obviously very subjective.
Is it fair to compare CPS1 music from 1989 to a 1993 arrange?