What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
You gotta use that slide

Yeah,you're probably right. Based on how shitty my scores have been I know I'm doing something wrong. Still, seems like a really tough game in comparison to something like Silent Dragon.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Yeah,you're probably right. Based on how shitty my scores have been I know I'm doing something wrong. Still, seems like a really tough game in comparison to something like Silent Dragon.

No. Once you realize all the broken shit like aerial dash canceling with elvis and the Lucha character, knuckle bash is stupid easy. It's also really short.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
night slashers

really enjoying this. it's been a while since i played it last, but i don't remember it being this good. nice presentation and visuals with great sprites and special moves. will be playing this more often.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
No. Once you realize all the broken shit like aerial dash canceling with elvis and the Lucha character, knuckle bash is stupid easy. It's also really short.

agreed. i got pretty far in like 15 minutes of practice and advice from andsuchisdeath. not super hard.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
night slashers

really enjoying this. it's been a while since i played it last, but i don't remember it being this good. nice presentation and visuals with great sprites and special moves. will be playing this more often.
It's a great game. I play it often too

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Tried out two that I had never spent serious time with, Die Hard Arcade (SS) and Anetto Futatabi (MCD). Took me a minute to get the QTE button presses down in Die Hard Arcade since they display in Japanese on my system. I ended up really liking this one, having the action taking place on a 2D plane makes all the difference. After a few nights with it I made a quick run through Sega Ages: Dynamite Deka for the PS2, it was equally as great. I haven't had a chance to check out the extras like Altered Beast mode but will check them out ASAP.

Annet Again though.... good Lord is that a shoddy mess. There's a tiny redeeming quality in the one magic that has the squished scaling effect on enemies like Sengoku does, beyond that it's a sad excuse for a game. Hardly any sound effects, uninspired stiff nonsensical enemies, boring combat and difficulty spikes capped off with only one life per level. Even with my expectations held low I couldn't force myself to finish this one.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Just picked up an Arabian Magic pcb, I dig the style and aesthetic of it but all in all not the greatest as far as gameplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Care to elaborate? I've played like maybe one credit years ago.

Well, my first negative is jump attacks. The hit detection on them is off and most of them do not knock down the enemies making it fairly worthless. The character who has the morning star for a weapon does have a good knockdown air attack but he's the only one out of the four playable characters.

None of the characters have any variety to their attacks either although they do differ enough from each other. No matter who you pick you'll be doing the same attack combo over and over. You can grab enemies but your choice is either hit them once and knock them down or throw them. You'll be throwing them most of the time as it knocks down other enemies in their path.

Power ups are absolutely terribly done. They are often side by side (this is a 4 player coop game but it's usually two power ups). So either someone's not getting a power up or on one player one of them is wasted. The two power ups I recall is a bit of lightning that flies from your weapon across a quarter or so of the screen or a fireball of sorts that goes full screen. Either of them only lasts a certain amount of hits, and it's a crazy low amount like three. In a beatem up that's power up enough for one or two enemies. I think the fireball one lasts more like 5-6 hits but it's still gone in 3 seconds. The treasure chests/barrels/jugs that you smash open to find these contain jewels for points the majority of the time so not only do power ups last a very short time you rarely get them too. Once or twice a level. There's a life up you can get but it too is rare, maybe one per level. Then there's an item or two I've seen only in one or two spots throughout the entire game, a screen clearing one and another that makes you invincible. All of these items are not random, they are in the same place/level every time. I have no idea why they created the screen clear item to give it to you one time in the second level.

Enemy diversity is pretty weak even for a genre that reuses sprites for enemies commonly. This could be worse, as there is enough variation level to level to change it up, but within a given level you'll be fighting the same two or three bad guy characters.

Levels can be very short as well, some levels you are at the boss within 30 seconds.

All that aside, there is certainly more depth I've not uncovered. I think there are more moves but I need to look at a manual to find out for sure. I've seen one or two in attract mode that I never pulled off.

There is a fantastic parry system that works pretty well and is one of the things that sets this game apart, many enemies and bosses have it too so they can parry you.

The magic attack is a great idea and works well but you rarely ever pick up a magic lamp. You start each life with one and a couple of bosses will go in a lamp after you beat them so you can use them as a magic attack one time afterwards. If you run out you can go a few levels without one assuming you don't die.

There are some very creative levels though including one on a flying carpet and there's a few different areas with traps or hazards that is a nice touch.

As a whole of they had spent more time polishing what they had this could've been a much better game, as is it's a fun run through with a friend from time to time.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Care to elaborate on that?

Sure.

Whenever I hear about a game's alleged deficits, I always enjoy hearing a verbal explanation of what they are, so when I experience
these deficits first hand, I won't instantly attribute them to my own shortcomings. It's always great to know what you're getting into, at least for me. That's not to say that I can't appreciate experiencing the unknown and must be primed and educated on everything before I take a dive.

So, I appreciate The Chosen One for taking his time to detail specific shortcomings in the game. I think it's cool, and I want to thank him for doing so.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^well done, nice elaboration...

Edit: I'd love to elaborate my admiration for your elaboration about TCO's elaborate answer per your request but I feel there's just so much elaboration, perhaps elaborating things further may become far too elaborate for its own good and thus leaving us elaborating in circles.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been playing Legionnaire the past two days. I really want to figure out an effective way to use Alfred (I thought I did, not really though) but I should just learn the game with Frank first. This character is leagues above the other two in every way (strength, wide hitbox on attacks, brief combo with quick recovery, combo ender sticks out long with some invincibility).

I got to the start of stage 5 and I haven't played the game in about two years, so we'll see.

I have to note how the final boss who swoops down from a helicopter at the end of
stage 3 is basically Jonah Jameson's head on Rugal's body.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
How do you like Legionnaire? I've known about it but have never played it. It looks decent.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
How do you like Legionnaire? I've known about it but have never played it. It looks decent.

It's fun. Like I mentioned previously, using the Frank character seems to be the only viable path to any success.

I'd say that the difficulty is moderate on the side of easy when using this character. There are really only a few enemy types that are nightmarish. The last stage 5, is by far the toughest, because they'll throw all of these enemy types at you at once (not super surprising).

The most interesting mechanic in the game by far is the dash. If you double tap jump, any character will do a forward dash. Upon colliding with an enemy it becomes a throw. It's pretty safe and the recovery is ok. The damage is somewhat weak, but it's a move that has to be utilized in order to set up safe crowd situations. If you have two enemies behind you, and one in front, you can do a punch, punch, throw to safely bowl over the other two.

There is also a dash follow up move which is important to use as well. Double tap jump, punch produces a move with a relatively wide his box and great priority that sends enemies flying. If you can set up a crowd that's close together, you can dash attack them into the corner all day. You can also do a back dash (jump, back + jump quickly), back dash throw, or a back dash attack that allows you to keep your desired faced position. Not super useful, but it looks pretty cool.

Beyond these attacks, you have a standard chain combo with either a neutral or an up on the stick position finish that respectively sends the enemies flying across the screen, or knocks them down close to your character. It's definitely important to know which combo ender is needed for particular situations.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Been playing New Zero Team again. This game makes you learn about crowd control. It's fun but the music is kinda odd. Enemies will gang up on you really quickly if you let them. Probably manage a 1cc within a few days.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
^ It's a really fun game.

Which character are you using?

I use Ace. As far as the music goes, it has a really Raiden-ish feel to it. Same company so I guess its to be expected. Its challenging without being frustrating. I have noticed the AI is setup to gang up on you if you try to focus on one enemy at a time. Crowd control is a must and Ace is setup for it pretty well.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I use Ace. As far as the music goes, it has a really Raiden-ish feel to it. Same company so I guess its to be expected. Its challenging without being frustrating. I have noticed the AI is setup to gang up on you if you try to focus on one enemy at a time. Crowd control is a must and Ace is setup for it pretty well.

Right, seibu beat 'em up, pretty surreal. I agree, the game is challenging but not frustrating.

I do think Ace is the second to worst character in the game, however I did manage to clear the game with him and made a video *don't blame you if you don't want to see and want savor the joy of devising strats *

Spin is by far the easiest character to clear the game with in my experience, followed by Big 0. Ace seems marginally better than Speed. Can't remember exactly why, maybe his neutral position combo ender has quicker recovery.

Is the default on your board hard with no extend? It appears that mine was, so all of my runs were done on that setting.

Pretty sure OG Zero team grants an extend(s) by default, but just wanted to be sure New didn't.

Last edited: