What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I 1 life cleared Anesan on the PC Engine.

I've never played a beat 'em up that had as dumb of an AI as this one.

However, it's incredibly easy to die. Some enemy attacks can kill you in one hit. Thankfully I discovered how to buy items, and buying a black robe granted me a life bar longer than a quarter inch.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I 1cc'd Rushing Beat Ran.

I don't know how casual fans of the genre are entertained by this game or series...

As far as RBR goes, this version doesn't have the labyrinth non-sense from Brawl Brothers, but it's still a messy mixed bag of cool ideas and poor programing (which may be unintentional or is an intentional way to ramp up the difficulty).

You have 6 characters. You have only three safe tools in the game. All of the safe tools belong to one character. Punching comboing enemies beyond the first stage will get you killed. Relying on grapples will get you killed. Running attacks will more often than not get you killed.

Douglass Bild is the only useable character in the game because his jump attack has a huge hitbox and is almost always safe. The hitbox on this attack can be exploited because of plane switching jumps and diagonal plane switching jumps. Directly lining yourself up with a character is dangerous so you can diagonally hop plans with jump attacks safely.

So once you have an enemy down, the factor of "ground control" comes into place. Enemies can be hit when they're down, with a unique pursuit attack (useless), a punch combo (useless) or a regrab (unsafe). Bild can take advantage of the ground with his running kick and a flame breath attack. Both moves are fairly safe and do absurd damage.

So, out of the 4 stages in the game two of them are filled with stupid gimmicks that make this style of play a huge chore to undertake (roof tops where you have two inches of space to fight on, land mines, electric floors). The health ups are poorly distributed and there are no extends.

The boss fights are dumb because your punch combo will go right through them. Straight on jump attacks will go right through them. Plane hop diagonal jump attacks go through them too unless you're Bild. If you try to grab them you'll get grabbed first. If you successfully land a grab there is a high chance the grab will be reversed beyond a stage 2 boss fight.

So the game revolves around hurding a crew of three enemies to one side, knocking them down with a jump attack, and Yakuza kicking them or yoga flaming them when they're down. There is no other way.

One helpful gimmick in this game is the ikari mode. When you take enough damage you'll flash red and you'll be invincible for maybe 45 seconds. This is very helpful in safely moving your sprite to the appropriate side of the screen, as well as for boss fights. Ikari mode grabs are great in these fights. Two ikari ddts + yoga flame does maybe 35% damage. When you're not in ikari against the bosses, you need to land diagonal plane hop attacks and cross your fingers that they'll connect.

Don't get me started on the aesthetics either. I can appreciate honky tonk art style in a lot of games, but it doesn't do it for me here.

Which is your favorite in the Rushing Beat trilogy, andsuchisdeath? I haven't played any of them; but, I'd like to get into that series. Honestly, though, I've heard some mixed reviews about them. :conf:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Which is your favorite in the Rushing Beat trilogy, andsuchisdeath? I haven't played any of them; but, I'd like to get into that series. Honestly, though, I've heard some mixed reviews about them. :conf:

I haven't played the first and third titles as extensively as Ran, so I really can't say.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Back to playing Yakyuu Kakuto League Man recently. I did finally buy a Denjin Makai board last week, so I'll be playing that once it arrives.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Back to playing Yakyuu Kakuto League Man recently. I did finally buy a Denjin Makai board last week, so I'll be playing that once it arrives.

Love Denjin Makai and the sequel. The first one is a really hard to find board.

Spending the afternoon on Aliens Vs Predator. Been awhile, need to get a movelist for the characters.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
My bad, I meant Denjin Makai II. I think I've only ever seen one Denjin Makai for sale as long as I've been collecting, and I was too broke at the time to buy it.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Almost 1cced King of Dragons. Those last 3 stages are brutal.

Been playing two crude dudes on the genesis. I like how goofy the character designs are and how you can just pick up and throw everybody. Also the A.I is pretty brain dead so the game is a bit to easy. Still enjoyable though

Last edited:

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
Last week, i started The fist of the north star: a ken's rage 2 on PS3, so far i prefer the first part.

another game that I have and i want to play soon is PS3 - Dragons Crown, looks like a great classic beat 'em up, although I still prefer Capcom/SNK/Sega 90' beat'em¡¡¡

When Final Fight on Neo Geo AES??? :buttrock:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Playing Knights of the Round on Capcom Classics. I don't see how its possible to 1cc it.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I played through Turtles in time with my daughters. One of them played the whole game through while the other one took turns with me playing a couple levels. Everyone had good fun. Its one of the few beat em ups that are suitable even for small kids as there is no gore or anything like that and the controls are simple and game is very approachable with no precision platforming or anything like that. Very credit spammable to play through by anyone.

Then a bit later I played it through with my nephew... except that I would not be able to play more than couple levels before being replaced by the dynamic girl duo. :) I wouldn't have guessed little girls liked Turtles so much :)

As for myself, I quite enjoy the game too, though I should try to finish it with fewer lives... currently Im not a whole lot better at it than the girls are. Button mashing...

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
C'mon now.

Looks like there is a guard command and all sorts of stuff in there. May check out a FAQ on it, but those bosses are just raw. Especially the samurai and the final.

Played some more DND: Shadow over Mysteria, really great game.

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Aggressors of dark kombat has my attention at the min.Getting ass whipped but still trying..:)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Looks like there is a guard command and all sorts of stuff in there. May check out a FAQ on it, but those bosses are just raw. Especially the samurai and the final.

I figured maybe there was a guard macro. What other funky stuff is in there? This guy's videos are very legit based from the ones I've watched in the past.

I'm not a KOTR expert though.

Last edited:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Just played Streets of Rage 3 for the first time. Is it me or the game is freakin' hard?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I figured maybe there was a guard macro. What other funky stuff is in there? This guy's videos are very legit based from the ones I've watched in the past.

I'm not a KOTR expert though.

Yeah, theres a guard by pressing attack and back at the same time, but timing is tricky. Also, each of the characters have slightly different playstyles. Percevial can dash, ect. Gonna do some more reading up on it, but SOM and King of Dragons are taking my attention lately.

Just played Streets of Rage 3 for the first time. Is it me or the game is freakin' hard?

Yeah the USA version is pretty hard. Try a translated Bare Knuckle 3 rom, its better balanced.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Yeah it's a bit hard when compared to the first two titles. I think BKIII is too easy though.

@radiantsvgun, I totally misread your posts regarding KOTR.

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Popped one of these:
2uzbhcj.jpg

So i could finish Turtles in Time on hard mode:
2ahb289.jpg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've finally got around to learning the Punisher.

I like it, but I could live without the crosshair shooting gimmick.

My runs are ending at the stage 5 boss.