What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I picked up Double Dragon IV for the Switch last week and have put several hours into it since. Amazingly fun game and I don't get the general distain for it by most people. I don't know what disappointed people were expecting, they went for a NES-style DDII sequel and delivered above and beyond exactly that. It has quite a few levels, an endless survival mode, modern or retro soundtrack, and the ability to play any mode in the game with every single fucking character. I can throw $7 in the garbage and not miss it. I guarantee if they shoehorned this into a real NES cart and charged 7 bucks for it people would shit and rub it in their hair.

In perspective it costs like $1 more than NES Double Dragon II sells for on any Virtual Console platform, and to me delivers a hell of a lot more than the $30 3DS River City sequels.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Was hitting Golden Axe (MD) yesterday, made it a mission to kill the two skeletons before beating Death Bringer. They are tough SOBs...

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I agree it's a very good game. Just picked it up for PS4. Graphics wise it did make me balk at getting it right away, but the controls feel amazing for a NES style game. Dunno if it's better then the overclocked Super Double Dragon or Gameboy Advance Double Dragon, but it's up there.

I picked up Double Dragon IV for the Switch last week and have put several hours into it since. Amazingly fun game and I don't get the general distain for it by most people. I don't know what disappointed people were expecting, they went for a NES-style DDII sequel and delivered above and beyond exactly that. It has quite a few levels, an endless survival mode, modern or retro soundtrack, and the ability to play any mode in the game with every single fucking character. I can throw $7 in the garbage and not miss it. I guarantee if they shoehorned this into a real NES cart and charged 7 bucks for it people would shit and rub it in their hair.

In perspective it costs like $1 more than NES Double Dragon II sells for on any Virtual Console platform, and to me delivers a hell of a lot more than the $30 3DS River City sequels.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Thor: God of Thunder on the NDS. There's a LOT of air juggling combo potential for a beat-em-up, which I like, since Thor has a pop-up uppercut and he can jump two screens high and throw his hammer in any direction. I only finished the first two chapters, but I'm digging it so far. You can find and equip a variety of runes too, my favorite thus far is the one you get early on that adds a shockwave effect, around Thor, when you throw the hammer, which is great for clearing crowds and wrecks the bosses' shit pretty good too if you toss Mjolnir at close range.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Been jamming on Caddilacs and Dinosaurs. Having trouble with some of the combos. Can someone chime in on this Mustapha combo?
May not post properly but its around the 1:36 mark where he starts a punch combo into a throw into a flip kick.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Been jamming on Caddilacs and Dinosaurs. Having trouble with some of the combos. Can someone chime in on this Mustapha combo?
May not post properly but its around the 1:36 mark where he starts a punch combo into a throw into a flip kick.

They're just doing a combo with a backwards throw ender (down) and cancelling the throw animation with up+ attack. It just takes a little practice timing it. But everyone knows, the real way to play mustapha is dropkick, dropkick, dropkick.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
But everyone knows, the real way to play mustapha is dropkick, dropkick, dropkick.

Just like playing Hannah is all about that knee ... People who have seen me play eventually have to leave the room, because Hannah's "Haaaa!" accompanying the knee attack gets too annoying. You can combo her rolling attack, just like Mustafa's flip kick, but it's too weak, and leaves you open to opponent's attacks during the roll.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
They're just doing a combo with a backwards throw ender (down) and cancelling the throw animation with up+ attack. It just takes a little practice timing it. But everyone knows, the real way to play mustapha is dropkick, dropkick, dropkick.

I finally got the mechanic down, the timing is tricky. When I started playing it like a SF Guile flash kick it became much easier.

Any tips on the boss of the garage stage? He destroys me each time, similar to how I always get kicked in the teeth by Rolento in Final Fight.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Any tips on the boss of the garage stage? He destroys me each time, similar to how I always get kicked in the teeth by Rolento in Final Fight.

Well, I've done like only 3 runs of C&D in about 2 years, but my strat is pretty much the same as the one linked in the michaelpf08 video. Uzi + drop kicks + trying to anticipate the boss's dashing slash by comboing him instead of drop kicking.

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Snabbed Raging Justice for the Switch and put a little time in it, went in with low expectations and it seems to be alright so far. I expected something along the lines of a 360 indie title like Streets of Fury or Burning Fists of Rage so I was happy to find a halfway decent playing game.

Leaderboards for both the regular game and survival mode give it some replay value. I don't really care too much for having a dedicated grapple button in 2D beat 'em ups and having that be the method to pick up weapons is not something I'm a fan of (at least the regular items automatically pick up).

My biggest complaint is the art style. The devs really stroked themselves over it but I've never been a fan of prerendered 3D sprites. The character models are absolutely hideous, they look like some ugly joke bullshit from 15 years ago. Immediately reminded me of State of Emergency, 187: Ride or Die, or Final Fight Streetwise.

So far it looks like it will be worth spending some time with but if they would have opted for regular spritework instead of looking like a Flash game it would've been much more appealing.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Finally getting around to Mystara, haven't had any time for it though, but it's my next game.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Snabbed Raging Justice for the Switch and put a little time in it, went in with low expectations and it seems to be alright so far. I expected something along the lines of a 360 indie title like Streets of Fury or Burning Fists of Rage so I was happy to find a halfway decent playing game.

Leaderboards for both the regular game and survival mode give it some replay value. I don't really care too much for having a dedicated grapple button in 2D beat 'em ups and having that be the method to pick up weapons is not something I'm a fan of (at least the regular items automatically pick up).

My biggest complaint is the art style. The devs really stroked themselves over it but I've never been a fan of prerendered 3D sprites. The character models are absolutely hideous, they look like some ugly joke bullshit from 15 years ago. Immediately reminded me of State of Emergency, 187: Ride or Die, or Final Fight Streetwise.

So far it looks like it will be worth spending some time with but if they would have opted for regular spritework instead of looking like a Flash game it would've been much more appealing.

The boss fights are so tedious. They have such short periods when they actually can take damage and they call so damn many adds. I like the basic minute-to-minute, but the bosses grind the game to a slog.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Finally beat Madworld last night.
It's only taken me seven years.
But I stuck to it and prevailed.
This game is so lop sided same as with many games by Platinum. If it had normal joypad controls, better camera, and slightly less stiff animation it would be perfect. Character design is fantastic, best 3d fighting game along with Die Hard Arcade.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Took me 31 years but in Double Dragon I just now noticed you can hold and release the kick button to roll barrels across the screen at enemies.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Finally beat Madworld last night.
It's only taken me seven years.
But I stuck to it and prevailed.
This game is so lop sided same as with many games by Platinum. If it had normal joypad controls, better camera, and slightly less stiff animation it would be perfect. Character design is fantastic, best 3d fighting game along with Die Hard Arcade.

You should try God Hand.

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
Bought Double Dragon Neon while its on sale. Never played it even though I love the DD series. I think the negativity at time of release made me not play it.... I gotta say, its fairly OK, deeper than it looks on the surface with some nice combo setups.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Awesome. Who are you using?

Hey man, I'm using the big blue ninja. Damn i almost had it today, made it to 7th boss but got some unlucky knock downs and lost my 1LC run. I'm having a blast playing through it though very fun game imo.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
8YsuVZHh.jpg

8ymTd7ch.jpg

One credit cleared the punisher on default difficulty, only lost one life. I didn't want to rush this one since this game is a lot of fun and still is. After I practice some more I'll probably put it on hardest but ima focus on Battle Circuit. Haven't attempted many runs but have gotten to stage 4-5. Just need to practice Yellow Iris launch otg on bosses more.

Only thing I don't like about the game is enemies throw states seem a little off. You can't hit them and go for a throw like final fight. Always confuses me since im so used to doing it on Final Fight. On the plus side you can throw them by holding up or downward after two hits and herd them left or right.

I noticed there are two different types of air suplex in the air (Down+ A). One that has no sound effect, and one that yells and does a little more. Is it just a timing thing? I never really practiced it.

On a unrelated note I find Nick Fury being able to keep a Cigar in his mouth LIT impressive while fighting. Even more so then throwing people around like ragdolls and taking on hundreds of armed men.

EDIT: also did a 1cc run with Nick Fury. He is almost identical to Frank Castle but his desperation A+B move and flash kick are not as good. Frank can hit bosses twice with it if he is up close for big damage when they are pinned to a wall. I think they removed that double hit in the JP version but you get this cool looking blue flame kick attack + flash kicks do more damage iirc.

I wish my copy was the JP version just for that sweet ass Haruki Suetsugu? artwork label

p6MutDuh.jpg

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
QMFzijP.jpg

EO8HLwH.jpg

Did a few more runs of The Punisher and got the 1CC on Hardest Difficulty. My run is in 2nd place, DJM.Quite a bit harder than normal as enemies are way more aggressive. Robo-faggers seem to get more super armor and I think Bonebreaker gets more HP? I almost timed out on him.

I guess my next challenges for this game will be a HARDEST no-miss or a no grenade run. I should have a recording setup by then.

Very fun game.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
You should try God Hand.

Shit I just saw this. I played it quite a bit some years back and had a lot of fun with it, a blast to play. Even though it's technically a fighting game it felt more like an action game. Madworld too. It's not a diss by any means. Maybe it sais more about my own likes than anything else. I like fighting games with tight but limited move sets and combo abilities, with enemies that have distinct personalities and seem to be there to fight you. Basically Final Fight.
I sound like Saner.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
But yeah god hand was definitely inspired by Final Fight. It has the El Gado/Holly wood Knife Guys.Even the ending of the game pays a homeage to final fights hit squad (2 Andores, 2 fatmen,2 poison,2 knifemen). In Chapter 8 you fight Tiger Joe, Regular Joe, two female axe warriors, two grunts, and two knifemen + cyber demon. By far the hardest part of the game to do on a KMS run.The game is all about crowd control much like beat em ups. Especially on Hard mode or level die. You need to understand enemy behaviors to do counterhits into launch + use roulette and god hand to eliminate threats on level DIE.

After doing a Kick Me Sign Run (no god hand or roulette) on hard it definitely hyperbolic time chambered by skills. Using God Hand/Roulette is way too easy now for most encounters. With this in mind some encounters definitely feel like it was designed around those mechanics.

My one major complaint about the game is that most moves are useless. Enemies getting out of juggles randomly ruins a lot of creativity.On level die it boils down to counterhits via charged punch/roundhouse into shoryuken + launch since your crowd control options are limited. Drunken Twist+up dodge spam breaks 90% of the game, but I didn't really use it. Very inefficient imo.Enemies also have too much hp, especially Azel and Dual God Hand Gene. Also axe demons are by far the most unfun enemy in the game. Food/hp/roullete/demons being pseudo random is kinda ass too (it follows a set order for demons based on your retry iirc).Also enemies clipping through one another attacking, even throwing knifes/projectiles is dark souls cheesy. Lastly, having a few load layouts for combo routes to switch on the fly would be awesome.

Leveling system for rank 1-3/DIE is also pretty dumb. Most people playing on Normal are not going to stay on 3/die for very long. The games rules change when enemies become level 3/die. Launchers do not launch them unless it is a counterhit (when they are attacking). Only exception to this is a fully charged punch/Hand Plant Kick (launches light mobs), and Double Snap Back Kick (launches elites and light).

God hand is still a blast, a shame we will never get a sequel.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
But yeah god hand was definitely inspired by Final Fight. It has the El Gado/Holly wood Knife Guys.Even the ending of the game pays a homeage to final fights hit squad (2 Andores, 2 fatmen,2 poison,2 knifemen). In Chapter 8 you fight Tiger Joe, Regular Joe, two female axe warriors, two grunts, and two knifemen + cyber demon. By far the hardest part of the game to do on a KMS run.The game is all about crowd control much like beat em ups. Especially on Hard mode or level die. You need to understand enemy behaviors to do counterhits into launch + use roulette and god hand to eliminate threats on level DIE.

After doing a Kick Me Sign Run (no god hand or roulette) on hard it definitely hyperbolic time chambered by skills. Using God Hand/Roulette is way too easy now for most encounters. With this in mind some encounters definitely feel like it was designed around those mechanics.

My one major complaint about the game is that most moves are useless. Enemies getting out of juggles randomly ruins a lot of creativity.On level die it boils down to counterhits via charged punch/roundhouse into shoryuken + launch since your crowd control options are limited. Drunken Twist+up dodge spam breaks 90% of the game, but I didn't really use it. Very inefficient imo.Enemies also have too much hp, especially Azel and Dual God Hand Gene. Also axe demons are by far the most unfun enemy in the game. Food/hp/roullete/demons being pseudo random is kinda ass too (it follows a set order for demons based on your retry iirc).Also enemies clipping through one another attacking, even throwing knifes/projectiles is dark souls cheesy. Lastly, having a few load layouts for combo routes to switch on the fly would be awesome.

Leveling system for rank 1-3/DIE is also pretty dumb. Most people playing on Normal are not going to stay on 3/die for very long. The games rules change when enemies become level 3/die. Launchers do not launch them unless it is a counterhit (when they are attacking). Only exception to this is a fully charged punch/Hand Plant Kick (launches light mobs), and Double Snap Back Kick (launches elites and light).

God hand is still a blast, a shame we will never get a sequel.

Impressed by your take and ready to give God Hand another shot