What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Knights of the Round. This game is really nostalgic to me, especially the SNES one. The music really does the game justice and the battling is so relaxing for some reason.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
KOTR is amazing sweet little gem nobody mentions these days good call! Have you played King of Dragons on the SNES? If not try it out its amazing as well.

Knights of the Round. This game is really nostalgic to me, especially the SNES one. The music really does the game justice and the battling is so relaxing for some reason.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
KOTR is amazing sweet little gem nobody mentions these days good call! Have you played King of Dragons on the SNES? If not try it out its amazing as well.

King of the Dragons is great as well. But I think the port of Knights of the Round is closer to the arcade. Something about Knights of the Round and that desolate first stage(with the music makes it so somber). And in the arcade there is a battle going on in the background on the 2nd stage. It is super epic in every way.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm playing Crows for the first time in years. I've never put serious time into it before, and I still don't know how to play it properly.

The combo edit feature is somewhat language heavy, but I don't even think being able to read Japanese would advantageous here.

The "custom combos" are really just life draining desperation moves that don't combo at all, are hard to land, and leave you extremely vulnerable when completing all of the "combo's" frames.

So, I've come to the conclusion that just jump kicking and landing the occasional throw and foot stomp is the only safe route to take. The AI is incredibly tame and stupid. I've only played one credit today after three years and I think I got as far as killing the fourth boss maybe? It's the farthest I've ever got before.

I find the movement style in this game extremely bizarre, and I can't imagine what it's intended function is. Hitting up will make your character walk backwards to the higher plane at an angle. Hitting up-forward will make your character move in the desired direction, but it feels like you're walking slowly against a strong gust of wind.

EDIT:
It's cumbersome to play using nothing but jump attacks but the standard combos are useless. I'm want to play the game until I clear it, but I don't know if I have the patience. I'm using a different character for my next run and his sprite looks like Ashton Kutcher which hardly resembles his portrait in the character select screen. "Dude Where's My Hitstun?" The other guy looks like Kunio Kun Beavis.

Last edited:

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Final fight 2.....

Punisher on genesis

How is Punisher on the Genesis? Is it a decent port of the arcade? I have been thinking of picking it up since it never came out on the SNES. But the price is kind of outrageous at the moment. Final Fight 2 is great. It really has a different feel than the first one. It feels less of an arcade game to me and seems larger in scope. Especially the levels.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Had a party over and we played '89 TMNT 4 player. Even on a 65" screen it's a pain in the ass to keep track of your character. Is there a 4 player game that is easier to keep track of the character? I was tempted to play Sunset Riders instead but went with the one everybody knows.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Had a party over and we played '89 TMNT 4 player. Even on a 65" screen it's a pain in the ass to keep track of your character. Is there a 4 player game that is easier to keep track of the character? I was tempted to play Sunset Riders instead but went with the one everybody knows.

Yeah bootleg version with palette swap characters.

Yellow Skin = Leonardo
Pink Skin = Michaelangelo
Gray Skin = Donatello
Blue Skin = Raphael

psychobear85

B. Jenet's Firstmate
How is Punisher on the Genesis? Is it a decent port of the arcade? I have been thinking of picking it up since it never came out on the SNES. But the price is kind of outrageous at the moment. Final Fight 2 is great. It really has a different feel than the first one. It feels less of an arcade game to me and seems larger in scope. Especially the levels.

It's actually decent, but for the price it's going for now I wouldn't bother.

DeusVult

Another Striker
I've been playing Batman Returns on the SNES lately. It has some pretty good music and plays nicely. I finally figured out what those damn test tubes were used for and how to use them. :scratch: Apparently this game has 2 desperation moves. One's just some super punch and the test tube is a screen-clearing item.

was this game released on any other format?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I got the 1cc for CROWS The Battle Action For Segasaturn.

Ughhhhhh.

Not fun.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Arcade Ninja Gaiden. Most brutal continue screen ever.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I keep it classic: playing almost every day some Streets of Rage. Mostly 1 and 2, but also love Bare Knuckle 3. Color scheme on SoR 3 dislikes me.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Color scheme on SoR 3 dislikes me.

I know I'm really in the minority on this one, but yellow shirt and black jeans Axel + higher difficulty makes me enjoy SOR3 over BKIII.

Out of all the lame localizations that have occurred in our lifetime, I find it very bizarre how so many say "SOR3 is one of the biggest localization travesties of all time!). Really overblown IMO.

Plus, if I want a white tee and blue jeans, I'd be playing SOR2/BKII (which is a superior game to 3/III).

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
I've been enjoying the HD version of "X-Men" for the PS3 very much. No beat-em-up I've played more, and I still love playing through it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know I'm really in the minority on this one, but yellow shirt and black jeans Axel + higher difficulty makes me enjoy SOR3 over BKIII.

Out of all the lame localizations that have occurred in our lifetime, I find it very bizarre how so many say "SOR3 is one of the biggest localization travesties of all time!). Really overblown IMO.

Plus, if I want a white tee and blue jeans, I'd be playing SOR2/BKII (which is a superior game to 3/III).
Cobra Kai all the way! SOB2 has sweet chinmusic! I can't help but love 3 though, same thing with Golden Axe 3. SOR2 is so easy breeze with the turner upper Blaze mamacita style.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Cobra Kai all the way! SOB2 has sweet chinmusic! I can't help but love 3 though, same thing with Golden Axe 3. SOR2 is so easy breeze with the turner upper Blaze mamacita style.

Golden Axe III is excellent for what it is. It's certainly one of those games that received poorly thought out reviews early that plagued it's reputation for a very long time.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Fuck reviewers, looking back at all those magazines from back in the day I can't help but laugh at the lack of knowledge...great screenshots and cool presentation but poor reviews. Even choice of games is poor, just what was trendy at the time I guess.

The KOF '95 review was so sick though, it had this spread shot of the AOF stage like a T you know bottom elevator and stuff, so rad...good times.

Reviews are biased, all of them, specially from those fuckwads that get free shit, they have no business reviewing shit, they're biased 'cause it's free, the impartiality goes out the window...lame and unethical, trendy douches.