What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Uhh, no, that didn't need to be fixed.

MAME is what's universally important.

Fightcade is mainly for fighting games.

fixed again.

In this day and age to get any multi player beat em ups going you need an online component. If not why care about Capcom porting it if it's digital? That's about as silly as people picking up the steam version of Baseball Stars 2. If you like it more power to you, but most people I know prefer to play beat em ups with a friend.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
fixed again.

In this day and age to get any multi player beat em ups going you need an online component. If not why care about Capcom porting it if it's digital? That's about as silly as people picking up the steam version of Baseball Stars 2. If you like it more power to you, but most people I know prefer to play beat em ups with a friend.

Truth.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
fixed again.

I'm not concerned with steam or capcom porting anything.

If I like it more power to me? What?

The anecdotal instance of what your friends like has nothing to do with me disagreeing with your grandiose claim of fightcade being more important than MAME.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
fixed again.

I prefer playing beat em ups alone.

I prefer to play fighters offline against other people.

Now I'm playing with power!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm not concerned with steam or capcom porting anything.

If I like it more power to me? What?

The anecdotal instance of what your friends like has nothing to do with me disagreeing with your grandiose claim of fightcade being more important than MAME.

You realize fightcade and MAME are basically the same thing right? An emulator engine running a rom. This argument is about as stupid as PS2 versions of 2d fighters are superior to xbox OG games that went online. I guess MAME could use Kaillera, but it's a lot harder to get games in that way.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You realize fightcade and MAME are basically the same thing right? An emulator engine running a rom. This argument is about as stupid as PS2 versions of 2d fighters are superior to xbox OG games that went online. I guess MAME could use Kaillera, but it's a lot harder to get games in that way.

This isn't a failure for me to realize anything.

I see value in the concept of preservation (MAME), you see a greater value in playing games in this genre online with people (Fightcade).

I don't see the value in the latter, therefore I found your need to "fix" wachenroder's post silly.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ No... your argument is the preservation of a game (MAME) or the preservation of a game with an extra online option (fightcade).

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
*sigh* Your argument is you play MAME to play said game "offline" on your pc. Fightcade allows that. It also allows that without logging in to fightcade by simply using the Final Burn software without anything touching the Fightcade client. Fuck you can also quick link that to your desktop for easy access. Ergo it's doing the same thing for the game being talked about, it just has an added feature to which you can play it online as well.

Now if you happen to prefer MAME because it handles more software then Final Burn can that's great, it makes sense, but the argument for this particular subject (Aliens vs Predator) was that MAME is better then Fightcade or preferred over it even though it is doing the exact same thing for the one particular title we are talking about except Fightcade has an added benefit of online play. Hence preservation vs preservation w/ a bonus.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hence preservation vs preservation w/ a bonus.

Sure, that statement makes sense, but it appears you're creating an "argument" for me.

I just think "fixing" his post into "fightcade" was silly because the relevance of an online multiplayer component for the genre is purely subjective. I suppose I do understand the "more features to the emulator the better" notion though.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Fightcade doesn't use lagless mame. So whether there is a online component or not, mame is the better choice for playing games in general.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Robo Army arrived and I've really been enjoying it. It's definitely more in the league of Burning Fight than Ninja Combat.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Last week I played The crystal of Kings and Aliens vs Predator on my supergun. Great time with those

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I just picked up a boot of the Japanese version of streets of rage 3, Bare knuckle 3. Played through it on normal with a buddy and only lost a few lives never even used a continue. I knew it was easier then the american version but thats just ridiculous. Oh well great version still!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Fightcade doesn't use lagless mame. So whether there is a online component or not, mame is the better choice for playing games in general.

I popped in KOF '98 (one I know the timing to pretty well) and throw it in Final Burn and MAME. To me I don't see any input delay at all. If there is any we are talking 1 frame at best. What I do see though is Final Burn doesn't seem as smooth. Like they drop frames here and there. I started screwing with the settings to see if I can adjust it, but never seemed to be as good as MAME. Pretty close, but MAME is better.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Picked up King of Dragons CPS1 a month back and finally got around to giving it a session over the weekend. Great game, especially the mythological bosses.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Picked up King of Dragons CPS1 a month back and finally got around to giving it a session over the weekend. Great game, especially the mythological bosses.
Does you King of Dragons have a battery? If not, does the level 4 boss, Hydra, have a tail on the background or it's just the 3 heads?

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
I really need to get a 3DS. Streets of Rage 2 in 3D would be awesome. Not to mention the other Sega games. I'm back on Violent Storm on the supergun. One of a small handfull of Konami beat em ups I like. It plays really well and has a decent amount of moves to break up the monotony. Also the scoring is quite crazy. I'm also not sure what causes the items to be different almost every time I play it. There's also parts where the enemies can break the boxes and you get nothing.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm back on Violent Storm on the supergun. One of a small handfull of Konami beat em ups I like. It plays really well and has a decent amount of moves to break up the monotony. Also the scoring is quite crazy. I'm also not sure what causes the items to be different almost every time I play it. There's also parts where the enemies can break the boxes and you get nothing.

Break up the monotony? If that's your attitude, maybe you should reconsider owning the board.

Anyways, yes Violent Storm IMO, is Konami's best output in the genre (Metamorphic Force, and Vendetta are very good, the rest I find poor).

Regarding score..certain moves yield obscene amounts of points. Wade's up + punch uppercut is worth a thousand and change. Not sure what region your board is, but with Japan defaults you'll pretty much earn an extend every stage with heavy uppercut use.

You'll need them for that second loop...