MS 3 Boot

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So after discovering my local OP had a bootleg KOF 02 cart I decided to go through my carts. He and I often buy from the same vendor.

Wouldn't you know it the MS3 cart I took in yesterday was a straight up boot. I am new to the world of MVS collecting so you guys would have probably noticed as soon as the guy dropped it off.

It had tell tale signs, a peeling label, capacitors visible through the grates, different screws, and the list goes on. Though the label was not close to the original as far as serial number placement, etc it was holographic.

The guy was pretty cool about it, he is going to verify the rest of the carts he took in and then let me have first crack at what I want.

Some photos of the abomination.
IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
IMHO, boots seem to move around in pairs.

Looks like you found the other one.

Heh, at lest this one is cleaner (than '02).

Glad you're working things out with your seller.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
nerdy, ALWAYS open carts, if a seller wont open a cart for you, thats a red flag of its a boot, that pisses me off to no end, is it so hard to undo 4 screws and take a picture? youll send me pics of the outside of the cart all day. no screwdriver handy? :/

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You don't have to open it if it looks good on the outside and you can see the proper chips through the vents.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah, off labels are usually a good sigh that the cart may have been tampered with.

If the cart case is not Clear or Translucent, then just hold the cart. at an angle and look though the vents.

You can see the chip layout on the top board enough to compare it with the MVS SCANS page.

And, if you have good eyes or a good flashlight, then you can get the NGH# of the roms too and compare those to the MASTER LIST.

Doesn't take long--a few minutes, at most.

Last edited: