noob AES owner from the uk saying hello

pheonixman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi Everyone

First post just to introduce myself, I recently got an AES for the first time :lolz: After not being able to afford one when i was a kid probably like most :lolz:
Takes me back to how hard games used to be (Demon/Dark souls excluded), i have been gaming for 20+ years now and still do most recently i started to get into fighters again like SF4,Third strike and Blazblue so i think that’s what prompted me to get the neo finally after all that time as i love fighting games and have always wanted to play the Samurai Showdown series (yet to get).

Can anyone recommend some other platformers/shooters etc which might be worth me checking out? Game I have so far are AOF2 and 3 Count Bout

Cheers
pheonixman

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Welcome to the AES club! I recently got my AES this past summer and I gotta tell you, I will never look back.

Take your time when it comes to purchasing games. Look for games you absolutely want to play and in the condition you are after. If you are patient, you will get the games you want in time.

GAMEFAN

jon713

Camel Slug
Hey congrats on the new AES, I got one myself about a month ago and its great but overly expensive. If you want to check out the rest of the NeoGeo library I would get a MVS setup or even a multicart, games are more affordable. (or mame it just to see what you want to purchase)

Only reason I bought an AES was just to finally have one at home. Like you I always wanted this as a kid but I'm keeping the games to a minimum. Currently have 7 but 3 are on their way....(I really just wanted to get The King of fighters 94-98)

Welcome!

Last edited:

NeoGeo-Qatar

Neo Jihad
10 Year Member
Welcome pheonixman ..

&
Congrats .. enjoy that awesome system :buttrock: .

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Buy Samurai Shodown 2, Fatal Fury Special, and King of Fighters 94 these are all affordable AES carts.

pheonixman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey Everyone

Thanks for all you welcome comments and advice on what games i should get much appreciated :), i'm trying to get into the neo geo scene purely as i love retro games and have picked the neo as a console i would like to collect for, i know some games are expensive and some affordable but i look at it like if your going to get some sweet games why not include the neo.
Although i don't have as much time these days to play everything i still have the bug and buzz off games i should have played years ago.

pheonixman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey congrats on the new AES, I got one myself about a month ago and its great but overly expensive. If you want to check out the rest of the NeoGeo library I would get a MVS setup or even a multicart, games are more affordable. (or mame it just to see what you want to purchase)

Only reason I bought an AES was just to finally have one at home. Like you I always wanted this as a kid but I'm keeping the games to a minimum. Currently have 7 but 3 are on their way....(I really just wanted to get The King of fighters 94-98)

Welcome!

Good advice on playing the games before buying to avoid disappointment although i don't like mame and emulators in general and prefer the real hardware, i was the same just needed one at home i can play, the thing i love about retro and the neo is they are just so easy to pick up and play and it's more social like the old days when you and your mates got together to take down that last boss or go at it for a few hours on a fighter.

pheonixman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Welcome to the AES club! I recently got my AES this past summer and I gotta tell you, I will never look back.

Take your time when it comes to purchasing games. Look for games you absolutely want to play and in the condition you are after. If you are patient, you will get the games you want in time.

GAMEFAN

Yep i agree i have noticed you have to be patient with the games for this console as soo many people selling on ebay and the likes for profit. I've already made a list of games i'm going to try and get over the next 12 months but hey i'm in for the long haul.

I'm a noob to the neo scene also.i didn't really think this through, hind sight being 20/20 I would have bought a consolized mvs. Oh well, I love my aes and I just scored real bout fatal fury special for a decent price ( compared to some of theses ridiculous buy it now prices) . Good luck with your aes collecting :)

jonnyturbo

New Challenger
Buy Samurai Shodown 2, Fatal Fury Special, and King of Fighters 94 these are all affordable AES carts.

I got those exact three when I got my AES bout a week ago, all great games and won't break the bank.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Hi Everyone

First post just to introduce myself, I recently got an AES for the first time :lolz: After not being able to afford one when i was a kid probably like most :lolz:
Takes me back to how hard games used to be (Demon/Dark souls excluded), i have been gaming for 20+ years now and still do most recently i started to get into fighters again like SF4,Third strike and Blazblue so i think that’s what prompted me to get the neo finally after all that time as i love fighting games and have always wanted to play the Samurai Showdown series (yet to get).

Can anyone recommend some other platformers/shooters etc which might be worth me checking out? Game I have so far are AOF2 and 3 Count Bout

Cheers
pheonixman

Fatal fury special isn't bad, quite cheap too. I got a copy for sale aswell :lolz:
Welcome aboard buddy.

jon713

Camel Slug
Good advice on playing the games before buying to avoid disappointment although i don't like mame and emulators in general and prefer the real hardware, i was the same just needed one at home i can play, the thing i love about retro and the neo is they are just so easy to pick up and play and it's more social like the old days when you and your mates got together to take down that last boss or go at it for a few hours on a fighter.

I feel ya, MAME rigs are so crap to me now, after owing the originals will never go bootleg again.

I'm a noob to the neo scene also.i didn't really think this through, hind sight being 20/20 I would have bought a consolized mvs. Oh well, I love my aes and I just scored real bout fatal fury special for a decent price ( compared to some of theses ridiculous buy it now prices) . Good luck with your aes collecting :)

Yea, ebay right? Ebay sucks now, a bunch of overpriced games. Most of my collection has been purchased here in this forum, good people that want to pass on their games for them to get played and not to just make a buck!.....But not everyone is like that here, but for the most part its a safe place to buy quality games etc.

pheonixman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I feel ya, MAME rigs are so crap to me now, after owing the originals will never go bootleg again.

Yea, ebay right? Ebay sucks now, a bunch of overpriced games. Most of my collection has been purchased here in this forum, good people that want to pass on their games for them to get played and not to just make a buck!.....But not everyone is like that here, but for the most part its a safe place to buy quality games etc.

After owning the neo for probably 3 weeks now I’ve started to understand how this console has become a target for bootlegs and fakes etc and has got me a bit paranoid, it's putting me off buying expensive carts as i would be gutted if i found out it wasn't original. I think i will try and do the same but i'm in two minds as to if i should get jap or euro/us carts at the moment, something keeps pulling me towards the English versions of the games.
My shortlist for this year
Samurai Shodown
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Samurai Shodown 2
Last Blade
Viewpoint
King of Fighters 95
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Last Blade 2
Soccer Brawl/Top Hunter/Blues Journey
3 Count Bout
Art of Fighting 2

I like most people will pay what something is worth but some prices are stupid money and they are just trying to rip off people trying to get into the hobby like myself.
That’s what I am hoping to maybe pickup some games on this forum and maybe I could return the favour 1 day to another noob just getting into the scene.
On another note can anyone recommend any other games i should checkout when just starting out?

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Why not collect jp versions? MOTW's & Last Blade 2 US will be around £2k instead of £500.

pheonixman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Why not collect jp versions? MOTW's & Last Blade 2 US will be around £2k instead of £500.

I am seriously considering it, although i have seen MOTW's(Jap) sell for £250 on ebay but not sure if it was cool and also LB2(Jap) is on ebay now for £164. I feel i need some english in my collection though :)