Hellos from a new builder/modder

joshie

n00b
I am here primarily because I like making and modifying electronics. I want to hopefully document some of the things I do for other people to benefit from.

I come from other older consoles, primarily SNES modding, programing, and cart creation. Once upon a time I was too poor to screw around with the Neo Geo, but recently realized this is not the case anymore :)

I specialize in inexpensive/time saving alternative guides for those who have a smaller budget and range of tools (and would be curious if anyone here does as well, especially housing for CMVS/Joysticks). I like to use "found objects" to repurpose for housing.

I think first up on the plate for me would be to rearrange the bits in unibios to optimize the pinout using 27C322 eproms, since I have those laying about (thanks SNES), and again, if anyone has tackled this problem, ping me.

Otherwise I am into music creation, as well as game creation, both of which I have been lazy with.

::waves::

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I am here primarily because I like making and modifying electronics. I want to hopefully document some of the things I do for other people to benefit from.

I come from other older consoles, primarily SNES modding, programing, and cart creation. Once upon a time I was too poor to screw around with the Neo Geo, but recently realized this is not the case anymore :)

I specialize in inexpensive/time saving alternative guides for those who have a smaller budget and range of tools (and would be curious if anyone here does as well, especially housing for CMVS/Joysticks). I like to use "found objects" to repurpose for housing.

I think first up on the plate for me would be to rearrange the bits in unibios to optimize the pinout using 27C322 eproms, since I have those laying about (thanks SNES), and again, if anyone has tackled this problem, ping me.

Otherwise I am into music creation, as well as game creation, both of which I have been lazy with.

::waves::

well you seem promising.

welcome to the fold. enjoy your stay.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Nice, the more people doing new stuff for the Neo the better. Welcome aboard!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Welcome! More tech guys are always needed. Since you mentioned SNES and eproms... I don't suppose you dabble with SNES repros do you? I've been on the hunt for someone who can put some English translated chips on some of my SFC RPGs, the guy who was doing it vanished. I do soldering work and random tinkering myself, but I don't have a eprom burner.

joshie

n00b
Welcome! More tech guys are always needed. Since you mentioned SNES and eproms... I don't suppose you dabble with SNES repros do you? I've been on the hunt for someone who can put some English translated chips on some of my SFC RPGs, the guy who was doing it vanished. I do soldering work and random tinkering myself, but I don't have a eprom burner.

Yes I do. I also recommend leaving your SFC RPGs in tact and using a game like Madden 96 to put the translated roms on. (These madden games are meaningless and have great tech inside).
However, if you solder and have confidence, I would recommend buying a cheapo programmer (willem) and some roms to burn. Those combined with the madden 96 doner carts are a relatively cheap way to make your own repos.

I, however, could also do it I suppose :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yes I do. I also recommend leaving your SFC RPGs in tact and using a game like Madden 96 to put the translated roms on. (These madden games are meaningless and have great tech inside).
However, if you solder and have confidence, I would recommend buying a cheapo programmer (willem) and some roms to burn. Those combined with the madden 96 doner carts are a relatively cheap way to make your own repos.

I, however, could also do it I suppose :)
oh nice, thanks for the heads up on that, my local guy has about 40 of those madden carts, any other good cheap carts to sack?

joshie

n00b
Off the top of my head I can think of Madden 95/96 (as these come with the 64kb sram battery for saving), and support the address space for virtually every game ever made for snes. There are others with the same capabilities but not the same price tag (I think I negotiated a grab bag of 30 madden 95/96 for a dollar a pop).

I used these for Seiken Densetsu 3 and Sailor Moon Another Story, which require the most of these carts, as well as some lesser sized games.

If you go the willem route, usually someone has a listing on ebay that bundles the 16bit eprom adapter (you need this to use the common 27c322 eproms).

Last edited: