Finally!

trunxkam45

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi all!

I've frequented this site a lot in the past and only just registered. I love the neo geo and am ashamed to admit that I did play a lot of these games on mame back when I was a plucky young teenager. Having since graduated college I took up a small hobby of game collecting. I do not boast the biggest/best collection out there but am pretty proud of my haul. Especially when I picked this up last month:

Van.jpg

That beast barely fit in my odyssey. I was studying for the MCAT that day but could NOT ignore the fact that someone was selling this beauty for $175 plus 7 games(I was tense as all hell that day since the seller almost sold it to someone else but I guess he/she couldn't make it at the last second):

MVSCarts1.jpg

KOF 2000, Football Frenzy, Baseball Stars Pro, Super Sidekicks 2, Neo Cup 98, 3 Count Bout, and Bust A Move. He said some might be bootlegs.

The seller told me the sound was not working and only 2 slots worked but the 3 count bout cart was causing both those issues. Without that game in there, the sound works and I can run three games! lukemorse1 suggested using sandpaper for the 4th slot to get it working. In addition to that I replaced the 2nd player C and D buttons since the original ones were sticking. A little bit of work goes a long way but there's still a bunch of stuff I'd like to fix.

ButtonOverlay1.jpg

1. Get the marquee lamp working. I replaced the tube light but that didn't work so I ordered a few starters to see if that'll help.
Marquee1.jpg

I like the bust a move marquee but have ordered a custom made one from emdkay as a tribute to my favorite youtube show about videogames, "Continue?".
2. Possibly get a new 1 p stick and overlay. Works well but not as sharp as the 2nd player one. Not too big a deal but for the perfectionist in me.
3. Fix that 3 count bout cart. I tried cleaning it with alcohol and using a white eraser but no luck. Still no sound/only 2 slots work when it's in.
4. Check out the sides here. Crudely painted lettering which is admittedly much better than I could do. Yet I would still prefer a nice new coat of red paint and applying side decals. And what's with the DOVES?! Also those stickers have gotta go. Any ideas?
Side1.jpg

Side2.jpg

Most of these issues are aesthetic. I would like this thing to look and work as awesome as possible. It's been a little difficult to study for the MCAT/work on my applications for med school with this huge thing staring back at me. I never thought I'd own one of these machines. And I can't believe I got it for around half the cost of my ps3. :buttrock:

NeoGeoMVS1.jpg

NOTHING matches the awesomeness of booting this beast up and having the KOF 2000 opening blaring in your living room. (except maybe the 97, 98, and 99 openings)

Sorry for the super long introduction and all the pictures but I just HAD to share my story!

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Nice cab man! Good luck with the MCAT! The studying can be pretty grueling. Are you interested in a particular specialty in medicine?

BTW-Those doves rock! :)

trunxkam45

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Haha yea man tell me about it! Well I have always been interested in vector borne diseases but in terms of specialty there's a few I'm interested in:
Family medicine has its benefits because it is the most fundamental form of care. Probably the best in terms of building connections with patients and offering a better feel for someone's medical history. Anesthesiology is really competitive and crucial for surgery but not the most interesting in terms of actual work. But given the pay, the demand in hospitals, and off time, it is very enticing. And I don't mean that in an incredibly materialistic manner. One anesthesiologist I know spends a lot of his off time leading international relief efforts to places like Haiti, Indonesia, the Philippines, and more recently Gaza, and Somalia(first US doctor to visit Somalia actually).

The possibilities are really endless and I'll get a better feel once I'm in(fingers crossed!). I know I can play it safe by riding the wave and working hard for a nice steady income in a good area, but that would leave me feeling unfulfilled. I will not sit by and just let my fate be chosen; I must carve my destiny with my own two hands. A Khan is nothing if not a dreamer.

And the doves are NOT staying!

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
lol @ doves.
I love the bam marque.
Welcome to boards guy.

jon713

Camel Slug
Hey welcome!

The control panel looks pretty clean, congrats on your first Neo should be a good project to work on. You should get in that motherboard and replace the battery or take it out all together, could be slowly destroying your board. So it has a 4 slot inside?

5 out of those 7 games kinda look legit but cant be 100% sure until you open them up. Great deal too 175 is sweet! I paid 400 for my conversion, with a 2 slot which only one worked and a 100in1 multicart. So I know how you are feeling to finally have one in your house. I paid too much now that I know a bit more about the hobby. Keep us posted with your restore!

Last edited:

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Haha yea man tell me about it! Well I have always been interested in vector borne diseases but in terms of specialty there's a few I'm interested in:
Family medicine has its benefits because it is the most fundamental form of care. Probably the best in terms of building connections with patients and offering a better feel for someone's medical history. Anesthesiology is really competitive and crucial for surgery but not the most interesting in terms of actual work. But given the pay, the demand in hospitals, and off time, it is very enticing. And I don't mean that in an incredibly materialistic manner. One anesthesiologist I know spends a lot of his off time leading international relief efforts to places like Haiti, Indonesia, the Philippines, and more recently Gaza, and Somalia(first US doctor to visit Somalia actually).

The possibilities are really endless and I'll get a better feel once I'm in(fingers crossed!). I know I can play it safe by riding the wave and working hard for a nice steady income in a good area, but that would leave me feeling unfulfilled. I will not sit by and just let my fate be chosen; I must carve my destiny with my own two hands. A Khan is nothing if not a dreamer.

And the doves are NOT staying!

Sounds like you have some ideas about a specialty you'd be interested in. Good luck with those apps. and interviews as well bud!

trunxkam45

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks! There's a few things I kind of need help with:

Is there a way to lock the panel so it doesnt come up with every upward motion? The seller was showing me the flange thing which I guess hooks into these slots but I really don't get it.

The coin doors look like they're just missing bulbs for the lights. Any idea what type of bulb I should get?

Can I replace the battery on the mobo with a standard quarter sized battery? I saw this guy put up a 15 minute video on the subject but I've no idea how to use a soldering iron. http://youtu.be/6jTdP2M4-xk

I'm thinking of replacing the happ joysticks with seimitsu's. Any recommendations here? Also I assume 4 way joysticks would be better given that's the way the current stick is wired?

And finally, multi carts. I'll be honest, I'd rather own the individual carts but these seem more economical. I was eyeing the 138 in 1 but saw it has an additional jamma hookup. What's the deal? Do I need a second slot with an MVS-Jamma adapter?

Thanks!

Last edited: