Twinkle Star Sprites boot.

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Picked this up off eBay for what I thought was a good price. Seller had 100% feedback and it wasn't too underpriced so I presumed it to be legit. Just wanting to verify before I hit this guy up for a refund.

The program board has an extra chip and the character board is totally different than what's on MVS-Scans. Is there more than one version of this game, or do I have a conversion?

4h4bj6.jpg

357hijc.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I believe this is the one that had no serial numbers on it for 80 USD,correct? That's a dead giveaway that it's not legit and that price is pretty accurate for an eprom version.
If you're not sure,you should always ask. Yes,the seller should have specified all details but not sure if seller is at fault here.
No,I am not the seller.
BB

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
A legit Twinkle Star will run at least 140-200 USD. So I agree with BB, 80 USD is spot on for an eprom version. Didn't see that auction, but if it wasn't described as 100% original, I would've assumed it to be a boot. Hopefully you and the seller can work something out. Curious to see what the cart shell and label looked like.

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Ask and ye shall receive.

25pn509.jpg

inuzxy.jpg

I have no idea what the deal is with the inside of the case being ground down like that, but there were shavings all over the inside. Maybe he used a dremel to clean the edge connector? Who knows. I've contacted the seller requesting a refund. Thanks for the confirmation guys.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Doesn't matter whether the seller specifies boot, original, or otherwise. Any kind of boot hardware or software isn't permitted on ebay at all regardless of disclaimers, the price, or anything else.
That it's a bootleg alone is standing to get money back.

Not allowed: Unauthorized or pirated copies of things like:
Movies or videos
Music CDs, MP3s, MP4s
Photos
Software
TV programs (including CDs or DVDs containing shows that were taped from television)
Video games

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
MP is right.

In general, eBay does not permit bootleg or pirate games to be listed and sold on their site--even with seller disclaimers.

eBay Buyer Protection supersedes and overrides the seller's listings disclaimers.

If the seller does not take it back, then file a eBP claim, asap.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The seller is probably negligent for not covering his arse by stating that the cart was 100% working and stressing that the potential buyer should message him if he or she had any questions.
I just feel that the no serial # on the label & the buy it now price was a dead giveaway.I'm fully aware of the policy but that doesn't change the fact that boots are sold on eBay all of the time so with that being stated,the seller should have dotted every "i" and crossed every "t"
BB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think I saw this auction. Didn't it say eprom cart in the title? And iirc it end at only like $40 or so.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hmm, I swear that was the one that I saw. Ya it is, it has the same round sticker on the top of it. I guess he bought the one I saw for $40 and flipped it.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The seller could have probably flipped the cart with no problems if he had just given a little more detail into what he had. The fact that it went for 40 USD in the first auction was a good deal. Right place,right time.
BB

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
The seller is probably negligent for not covering his arse by stating that the cart was 100% working and stressing that the potential buyer should message him if he or she had any questions.
I just feel that the no serial # on the label & the buy it now price was a dead giveaway.I'm fully aware of the policy but that doesn't change the fact that boots are sold on eBay all of the time so with that being stated,the seller should have dotted every "i" and crossed every "t"
BB

I completely agree. I rarely buy on ebay and usually only from people that show open carts. More boots than real carts there. The price and the vagueness in the auction is an easy pass decision.

As far as boots not being allowed, I only say that form the perspective that the buyer has a legitimate claim to be covered. As to the initial purchase, that's something else :)

As a side note, whenever I see, "100% working copy", it's a boot. Reason being is that the sellers understand boot vs. legitimate and they want to throw that 100% in there. At least, that is my observation. Most people not in the know about bootlegs just say that the cart works, not that it is, "100%" anything.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The initial purchase is not covered by eBP, only the last or most recent transaction is covered.

BB is correct: eBay sellers sell boot boards on eBay all the time. This is achieved when (1) eBay does not pull the listing before closing or if (2) the buyer does NOT file a eBPC after closing.

Some gamers want to buy boot boards--if the cart. plays ok and the price is not too much.

But, it sounds to me like you really want to buy an original cart.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
its the same guy that bought xian's $40 eprom cart and this is a flip. the feedback for the winning bidder in the $40 auction and the seller in the $80 auction is a match.

so he bought a clearly labled eprom cart then listed it very ambiguously.

i am declaring shenanigans. If i were you witchboard, i would call ebay right now and open a paypal dispute followed with some bad feedback if the seller doesnt comply with a refund. thats inexcusable.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Screenshot2011-12-22at105905PM.png

I pulled this off of your sellers feedback. it links right to the $40 eprom auction.

i want to message this guy and ask why he is selling boots as real?

Also.
He bought this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330640661893#ht_1244wt_1141
And is now selling this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-MVS...Video_Games&hash=item3f11912c4c#ht_500wt_1156

bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180727142385#ht_500wt_1156
selling
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-AES...Video_Games&hash=item3f11911890#ht_500wt_1156

bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200663618425#ht_2860wt_1141
selling:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-Aes...Video_Games&hash=item3f11911ca8#ht_500wt_1156

dudes a flipper if i ever saw one.

Last edited:

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Some gamers want to buy boot boards--if the cart. plays ok and the price is not too much.

But, it sounds to me like you really want to buy an original cart.

I'm fine with my carts being in gamer condition, but I don't want any boots. If I wanted a bootleg, I'd just buy one of those xxx-in-1 carts and be done with it.

its the same guy that bought xian's $40 eprom cart and this is a flip. the feedback for the winning bidder in the $40 auction and the seller in the $80 auction is a match.

so he bought a clearly labled eprom cart then listed it very ambiguously.

i am declaring shenanigans. If i were you witchboard, i would call ebay right now and open a paypal dispute followed with some bad feedback if the seller doesnt comply with a refund. thats inexcusable.

He pretty much said he's not giving a refund and told me to open a dispute, so I did. I also referenced the original auction where it was described properly indicating he knew what he was selling. We'll see how it goes.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I
He pretty much said he's not giving a refund and told me to open a dispute, so I did. I also referenced the original auction where it was described properly indicating he knew what he was selling. We'll see how it goes.

bullshit. i want to harrass this fucker now, yet i dont want to fuck with your dispute. use the links i provided earlier to show what he is doing. plus the fact that you have where he bought a boot then sold it as not a boot.

just selling a boot is a no-no on ebay as it has been stated.

i just hope that this fucker isnt on this board. I hate these kind of sellers.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm fine with my carts being in gamer condition, but I don't want any boots. If I wanted a bootleg, I'd just buy one of those xxx-in-1 carts and be done with it.

The only problem I see is that you destroyed the item basically and they can deny you just for tampering with the item. If you had any doubts you should post here especially if it's deciding to rip open a cart that looks like it was sealed close. At least that way you don't tamper with it. Let us know how it goes though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Good, get ebay to give you your money back. I don't have a particular problem with selling bootlegs as long as the seller knows what he is buying, and there was no indication in that auction that it was a fake. Then just keep the cart, or sell it cheap to someone on here that doesn't mind a boot and use the combined money to buy the real thing.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Good, get ebay to give you your money back. I don't have a particular problem with selling bootlegs as long as the seller knows what he is buying, and there was no indication in that auction that it was a fake. Then just keep the cart, or sell it cheap to someone on here that doesn't mind a boot and use the combined money to buy the real thing.

i suppose it would be considered inappropriate to mention that i am currently selling off my 17 AES copies of kizuna encounter. they work, they're real, and they're cheap- but no returns.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The seller doesn't have a leg to stand on especially if you used a CC which offers extra protection. I figured he would be annoyed but not flatly deny you a refund..... WOW.
BB

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
He should have held on to that cart if he got it for only $40. That's a steal either way. Just looking at those pics I can say that the cart is worth $40 in parts alone.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
He should have held on to that cart if he got it for only $40. That's a steal either way. Just looking at those pics I can say that the cart is worth $40 in parts alone.

Totally man, $40 is a bargain. Yeah the guy knows he bought a boot and should have labelled it as so when he flipped it on, but it's not the worst crime in the world. The shonky label and rediculously low price should have set the alarm bells ringing from the start ;-).