Will people buy PSP VITA when it comes out in Feb next year?

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Haven't had any issues yet Kiselgof...played all evening yesterday and my hands felt comfortable.

I am highly impressed with this thing. It's way better than the PSP is. Nintendo's handhelds are a joke.

My main gripes would be the memory card pricing obviously, and the rear touchpad. I like the front touch screen, but the rear one was unnecessary in my opinion.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Mikhail, PS Vita is pretty large, so I think you'll be fine with it.

I'm super impressed with the system. But, I guess I haven't really been blown away by any games yet. Really can't wait for Lumines. Why that didn't come out here first is beyond me.

I've been playing some sudoku game I got off PSN more than anything. Love the system though. Just waiting for some games that I can get into.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Messed around with a Vita at Target tonight.

Not impressed at all.

Feels cheap - screen isn't that gorgeous.

Same old crap as far as I'm concerned.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Crazy talk.

Dude, the Retina display shared by Apples products blows that screen out of the water.

The buttons are freaking tiny, as are the sticks.

Big, bulky hunk of shit unit.

This will be a flop for sure - the graphics aren't even really a step up from the PSP.

This isn't pocket gaming.

3DS is.

Looks like Nintendo got it right again.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Dude, the Retina display shared by Apples products blows that screen out of the water.

This will be a flop for sure - the graphics aren't even really a step up from the PSP.

3DS is.

The graphics are already a step-up from the PSP...I imagine we should see even more once we get to the 2nd gen games. Do you have a PSP at all right now? There's a very noticeable difference with the screen displays.

It depends on what you want out of a handheld.

The 3DS doesn't do anything for a lot of people, me included. The only selling point of the 3DS for me is the Kid Icarus game. Beyond that, there isn't anything that I could fathom playing now or in the future.

Nintendo handhelds and consoles do one thing for me nowadays, they act as a good dust collector.

I could have done without the rear touch pad on the Vita...it's dumb as shit. Other than that I've been playing non-stop for the last week.

3DS is.

I could do with bigger buttons and sticks but overall I like the size and shape. Wipeout really shows what it's capable of. The resolution of the retina LCDs is better but the colors and blacks are better with OLED.

Seeing Wipeout on it was a holy shit moment. I still can't keep the damn car on the track but hey, it still looks great.

I agree that the rear touch pad is dumb though.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
I could do with bigger buttons and sticks but overall I like the size and shape. Wipeout really shows what it's capable of. The resolution of the retina LCDs is better but the colors and blacks are better with OLED.

Seeing Wipeout on it was a holy shit moment. I still can't keep the damn car on the track but hey, it still looks great.

I agree that the rear touch pad is dumb though.

Wipeout looks amazing. I was really impressed with how the game looks. Dynasty Warriors Next is also a lot of fun assuming you don't mind the formula of the game. They made some nice use of the touch screens. I am just up to a part in the Campaign mode where you have to use both the front and rear touch to do something. I do not like it at all. To be honest I couldn't even figure out what the hell to do.

The only games I have are DW Next, Wipeout, and Hot Shots Golf. I am enjoying all 3 of them. I also did grab the Motorstorm RC free download, but I don't care for it. The controls remind me too much of RC Pro-Am for the NES, and that was a game I despised back in the 80s.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

3DS is.

I gotta agree with Tonk on this one.

I will eventually get a Vita, but I am not that excited about it and I don’t foresee anything that is going to get me excited about it.

I don’t remember who said it, but for me the PSP and Vita are just providing watered-down console experiences. Yeah God of War, Resistance and Syphon Filter etc etc were cool on the PSP, but I could have lived w/o any of those games. I assume we are going to get Vita sequels of God of War, Resistance and Infamous - and I’m sure they will impress on a technical level, but I just can’t get excited for that stuff. The best games of the psp era were Locoroco, Patapon and Lumines….so maybe there’ll be some interesting updates to those games…but a portable version of UMVC3 – ugh, pass…

I probably play(ed) my ds 10x more than my psp. Yeah Nintendo has some rehashes of their console experiences too like Mario Kart 7, but even with those, they get so much right. I own every version of Mario Kart, yet 7 still feels awesome somehow. Even the downloadable games like Pushmo and Mighty Switch Force are pretty awesome. There is just some magic about Nintendo, they may not be the same they were years ago, but they know how to make fun games….especially when it comes to handhelds. Even Starfox 64 3D, which I played to death on the n64 still feels fresh and fun somehow.

I know I come off as a Nintendo fanboy, and that’s fine. Like I said, I will get a Vita eventually, but I feel pretty confident that I am going to get way more play time out of my 3ds…just like I got more out of my DS than my PSP.

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
The controls remind me too much of RC Pro-Am for the NES, and that was a game I despised back in the 80s.

Whoa there! ..don't drag RC Pro-Am into this. That game is pure gold. My sore thumbs back in the 80's can attest.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I also did grab the Motorstorm RC free download, but I don't care for it. The controls remind me too much of RC Pro-Am for the NES, and that was a game I despised back in the 80s.

Tried changing the controls in the options menu?

My biggest problem with the game is the viewing angle, which sadly cannot be changed. Hard to determine if I'm going to hit the side of the track or not sometimes as a result. Still a fun game to me though (especially since it was free).

Last edited:

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Even the downloadable games like Pushmo and Mighty Switch Force are pretty awesome.

Just wanted to do a quick +1 for Pushmo. I normally don't mess with many of the downloadable games but Pushmo looked interesting. I have finished about half of the puzzles so far and it is quite fun. I am also curious about Mighty Switch Force, the armadillo western game, and some other game who's name escapes me but it looks like an old MS-DOS Commander Keen game kinda.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
Tried changing the controls in the options menu?

My biggest problem with the game is the viewing angle, which sadly cannot be changed. Hard to determine if I'm going to hit the side of the track or not sometimes as a result. Still a fun game to me though (especially since it was free).

Are there more control options than what they allow you to select when you start up the game?

I agree on the viewing angle. It's amazing how you can think you are clear going around a hairpin turn only to see your car get stuck against the wall.

For being a free download it's not a bad game by any means...I just wish it would have been more like the rest of the Motorstorm games as opposed to an RC game.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
I gotta agree with Tonk on this one.

I will eventually get a Vita, but I am not that excited about it and I don’t foresee anything that is going to get me excited about it.

I don’t remember who said it, but for me the PSP and Vita are just providing watered-down console experiences. Yeah God of War, Resistance and Syphon Filter etc etc were cool on the PSP, but I could have lived w/o any of those games. I assume we are going to get Vita sequels of God of War, Resistance and Infamous - and I’m sure they will impress on a technical level, but I just can’t get excited for that stuff. The best games of the psp era were Locoroco, Patapon and Lumines….so maybe there’ll be some interesting updates to those games…but a portable version of UMVC3 – ugh, pass…

I probably play(ed) my ds 10x more than my psp. Yeah Nintendo has some rehashes of their console experiences too like Mario Kart 7, but even with those, they get so much right. I own every version of Mario Kart, yet 7 still feels awesome somehow. Even the downloadable games like Pushmo and Mighty Switch Force are pretty awesome. There is just some magic about Nintendo, they may not be the same they were years ago, but they know how to make fun games….especially when it comes to handhelds. Even Starfox 64 3D, which I played to death on the n64 still feels fresh and fun somehow.

I know I come off as a Nintendo fanboy, and that’s fine. Like I said, I will get a Vita eventually, but I feel pretty confident that I am going to get way more play time out of my 3ds…just like I got more out of my DS than my PSP.

I wouldn't call the Vita a watered-down console experience. The PSP felt that way, this is something different. I went from being non-interested in the Vita to owning one once I played it. It was way better than I expected and watching videos on YouTube did not give a good sense for it; I thought it was the PSP part 2 which I wasn't interested in getting involved with.

The game library is weak right now, but there are some quality titles already on it. Of course, how many console/handheld releases can actually qualify as being strong...? Of all the consoles/handhelds I bought at release, none of them were particularly strong. The US Dreamcast might have been the strongest one that I can recall.

I'm looking forward to a lot of the upcoming releases (Resistance, Little Big Planet, Disagea 3) and I am definitely going to be interested in seeing if they get a proper Gran Turismo on this thing.

The Vita does need to get some things fixed however...

-Memory card pricing is the biggest issue. Fix that and I bet a lot of people will jump onboard.

-Get the PS1 Classics support up and running soon...I'm holding off on a few PSN PS1 Classic purchases because I want to load the games onto the Vita.

-Vita trophy lists should show up on the played list when you are logged in on the PS3. I don't like how the list of Vita games played does not show up on the PS3. I can view both PS Vita and PS3 games played when I am on the Vita, yet I can't on the PS3? Or is there something I am missing here...?

Whoa there! ..don't drag RC Pro-Am into this. That game is pure gold. My sore thumbs back in the 80's can attest.

Can't stand RC Pro-Am. Such a pile of shit. Ha.

ourlad1337

n00b
Really not pushed by the current Vita line up and thought I could do without for a while but then Gravity Rush has to come along and spoil everything, I really want that game.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Just like the 3DS, PSV needs a killer app as well.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Well, I've been waiting for a reason to buy a PS Vita, now I have one.

Phantasy Star Online 2 has been announced for the Vita.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member

3DS is.

The one time we disagree, take away Shinobi and Kid Icuras the 3DS has nothing for me

Are there more control options than what they allow you to select when you start up the game?

Yes you can map the features to the buttons

I agree on the viewing angle. It's amazing how you can think you are clear going around a hairpin turn only to see your car get stuck against the wall.

For being a free download it's not a bad game by any means...I just wish it would have been more like the rest of the Motorstorm games as opposed to an RC game.

Yeah the camera is my biggest gripe with this game with the second being no drift ability( unless I'm missing it )

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Yeah the camera is my biggest gripe with this game with the second being no drift ability( unless I'm missing it )

Only certain types of cars can drift. Since you can only use a certain type of car per event, it limits the way you race. Muscle cars are all about drifting (all drifting events are muscle cars-only, in fact). I'm pretty sure the trucks and rally cars can drift too, though not as well as the muscle cards.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
I have a Wi-Fi Vita and three games (Asphalt Injection, Super Stardust Delta, Motorstorm RC). I love it so far.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I actually like the bulky feeling of the Vita. Maybe because I'm a at home handheld player. ;)

Now if they just would release an external UMD drive for the Vita it would be perfect!

I agreee though about the a bit tiny buttons and the useless backside touch screen.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Only certain types of cars can drift. Since you can only use a certain type of car per event, it limits the way you race. Muscle cars are all about drifting (all drifting events are muscle cars-only, in fact). I'm pretty sure the trucks and rally cars can drift too, though not as well as the muscle cards.

Sigh, it would be nice if all cars could do it as my brain keeps screaming as it tells my hands to start the drifting motions

the useless backside touch screen.

That becomes a real pain when browsing facebook as I forget it's activated and it picks up my moving fingers and starts scrolling fast because of it