Will people buy PSP VITA when it comes out in Feb next year?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'll wait until xmas. Will have a decent line up, and probably a new hardware design by then.

I agree the screen is gorgeous, but so is the PSP's.

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
I will wait until the price drop or they a bundle that doesn't have alot of fine print. The only games that look interesting to me are Wipeout and Uncharted...

...On second thought after looking at the deals at that neogaf link, I might pick one up after all.

SSS

neo retired
Well, the screen isn't perfect. I noticed on a black screen, or a very dark scene you will see even darker areas. Almost like ink blotches. Apparently this is common and is a quirk of the OLED technology.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Sensei, was it worth buying right now?

I am so close to breaking down and buying it because I want Hot Shots Golf. I'm a huge fan of that series and I need my fix lol.

SSS

neo retired
Sensei, was it worth buying right now?

I am so close to breaking down and buying it because I want Hot Shots Golf. I'm a huge fan of that series and I need my fix lol.

Hot shots is always fun. I'm a sucker for any iteration of wipeout. I messed with the kiosk model for about 20 minutes before deciding. It had a bunch of demos for most of the launch titles.

Also I think ridge racer comes out in like 2 weeks. I played the shit out of the old PSP version.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I nearly had a moment of weakness and picked one up yesterday. I've decided to hold off for there to be more games that I want.

Does anybody know if you can play your PSN purchased PSX games on the Vita? Some Mega Man 1 to 4 wouldn't be amiss when I finally do pick one up.

Also I'm a bit behind the times on this whole '3G' thing: When they say 250mb what the hell does that mean? A minute, a day, a week, a month, a year?! Is it remotely worth $15 dollars a month?

The whole thing is poorly explained for those not up on the smart phone crazy like me.

The 3G thing is a joke. It's not even remotely worth it unless you can share a plan with your iPad or something, as some have suggested.

But it's per month. Basically you buy a prepaid amount of data per month and you use it or lose it. If you go over, you pay overage charges. I honestly can't imagine why I'd want 3G on my game console.

And really, $15 per month isn't the issue. The issue is that I have to have a cell phone data plan for my wife, and for myself. I also have to have an iPad plan, and a separate data plan for my Vita. Basically, I'd have 4 different 3G data plans with AT&T in my family (assuming I was going to consume data on each). That's just ridiculous.

Anyways, can't wait to crack open Lumines tonight.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The 3G thing is a joke. It's not even remotely worth it unless you can share a plan with your iPad or something, as some have suggested.

But it's per month. Basically you buy a prepaid amount of data per month and you use it or lose it. If you go over, you pay overage charges. I honestly can't imagine why I'd want 3G on my game console.

Anyways, can't wait to crack open Lumines tonight.
250mb for a months worth of data seems awfully fucking chintzy. I mean, that's not even a games worth of download from the PSN Store.

250mb for a months worth of data seems awfully fucking chintzy. I mean, that's not even a games worth of download from the PSN Store.

I think you'd want to download games from the WiFi and use the 3G for score uploads, achievements, texting, the map/GPS, etc. Basically a couple of useless things, and a couple of things you'd already be doing on a cell phone if you had any intent of doing them at all.

My iPhone won't even let me download a lot of apps via 3G because AT&T blocks it, forcing you to WiFi. So much for unlimited data..

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I nearly had a moment of weakness and picked one up yesterday. I've decided to hold off for there to be more games that I want.

Does anybody know if you can play your PSN purchased PSX games on the Vita? Some Mega Man 1 to 4 wouldn't be amiss when I finally do pick one up.

I thought you could, but I can't figure out how. My Vita doesn't see my PSX as compatable software. I heard that you might have to redownload them and keep them as bubbles, but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
If I had a job I'd probably get one out of sheer curiousity, but as it stands now, I'm gonna wait for a price drop/some JRPGs to come out.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I ordered a Playstation Vita from Amazon and on Wednesday and it arrived on Thursday and I have been enjoying the Uncharted: Golden Abyss prequel.

I tried RE5 and BH5 AE on remote play by linking both the PS3 and Vita and the PS3 menu shows up with either game dislayed but won't work since Sony only completed remote play at 90% and most PS3/PSN games don't work until a firmware update or patch is released. Legend of Mana worked though but I haven't tried out the other PSN downloads yet.

I only have minor complaints,

The Vita should have been a little fatter to have four shoulder buttons instead of rear touch controls.

Power plug and headphone jack should have been at the top.

I do like the dpad, analog sticks and buttons alot.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I only have minor complaints,

The Vita should have been a little fatter to have four shoulder buttons instead of rear touch controls.

I do like the dpad, analog sticks and buttons alot.

I 100% agree that I wish it had four shoulder buttons instead of just the 2. While the dpad, sticks, and buttons work ok, there are a lot smaller than I thought they were going to be. The bottons are about the same size as a GBA Micro...

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm gonna wait for a fatter library and the 1st price drop... then it will be mine! Oh yes.... it will be mine.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Me hopes Sony works out the ability to transfer more PSN games over to the Vita such as ports like Sonic 2 and etc

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I've been trying to transfer my PSP games over to the Vita using my PC, but the Vita sees them all as corrupt files (copied them to my PC using Media Go). Strangely, the PSP save files I backed up the same way are recognized by the Vita just fine. I know the PSP games I have should work on the Vita, since other people have been able to transfer them over using a PS3, even though Sony doesn't list them as being officially supported. I'd try using my PS3 for this, but it would require a firmware update, which would mean losing the custom firmware I currently have installed on it. I guess I'll just wait until they officially supported, unless I can figure out if I'm doing something wrong with the PC method.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I've been trying to transfer my PSP games over to the Vita using my PC, but the Vita sees them all as corrupt files (copied them to my PC using Media Go). Strangely, the PSP save files I backed up the same way are recognized by the Vita just fine. I know the PSP games I have should work on the Vita, since other people have been able to transfer them over using a PS3, even though Sony doesn't list them as being officially supported. I'd try using my PS3 for this, but it would require a firmware update, which would mean losing the custom firmware I currently have installed on it. I guess I'll just wait until they officially supported, unless I can figure out if I'm doing something wrong with the PC method.

I'll ask around to see what I can find out, I have a co-worker who's looking at everything the Vita can and can't do and I'll ask him what he knows about this. I got my PSP games on the Vita through the PS3 but don't know where my memory card is that had my save files for the games

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
My wife got me one this weekend for my anniversary present. I only have Wipeout 2049 right now, but it looks amazing on it! IMO, the Vita is damn near a portable PS3 (graphics wise). I'm going to pick up another game or two this weekend hopefully and really try it out.

My only gripe right is that I can't download and change avatars and wallpapers from the PSN store from my Vita. A very minor complaint, but something I hope gets fixed soon.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
How do the psp games look on the Vita? Is the vita's resolution a direct multiple of the psp's? Are there different display options? All this talk of transferring psp games and psn games is getting me interested in the vita. Hmmmm

I'll ask around to see what I can find out, I have a co-worker who's looking at everything the Vita can and can't do and I'll ask him what he knows about this. I got my PSP games on the Vita through the PS3 but don't know where my memory card is that had my save files for the games

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member

Hope someone finds a way.

How do the psp games look on the Vita? Is the vita's resolution a direct multiple of the psp's? Are there different display options? All this talk of transferring psp games and psn games is getting me interested in the vita. Hmmmm

Vita's native res is exactly 2x the PSP's. If I remember correctly, some games allow you to map certain functions to the right analog stick. The only display options are bilinear filtering or no filtering. Also, since the Vita memory cards have faster data transfer rates than Memory Sticks, the load times are noticeably shorter.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I 100% agree that I wish it had four shoulder buttons instead of just the 2. While the dpad, sticks, and buttons work ok, there are a lot smaller than I thought they were going to be. The bottons are about the same size as a GBA Micro...

Another thing is that headphone and power plug ports are no longeer located at the bottom sides like on the PSP. I bought a cradle for it. The Vita does need more PS3 ports. :D

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
The Vita does need more PS3 ports. :D
I don't agree what the vita needs is more original titles.What's the point of a port from the PS3,that would defeat the whole purpose of owning a vita to begin with.Now i'm interested in the vita but currently i'm broke for any new hardware 'so the vita will have to wait.Last year i got a psp so i want to get back to collecting&playing for it.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I don't agree what the vita needs is more original titles.What's the point of a port from the PS3,that would defeat the whole purpose of owning a vita to begin with.Now i'm interested in the vita but currently i'm broke for any new hardware 'so the vita will have to wait.Last year i got a psp so i want to get back to collecting&playing for it.

I've been having a hard time using my six axis PS3 controller pad and some games that have no option to assign you're own button setup makes it difficult. Since my hands are kinda messed up I thought that it would be a good idea to have PS3 games ported over to the Vita which would make things alot easier for me to control. Original games is good sometimes it's good to have PS3 games ported over to the Vita.

To bad that the PS3 didn't have a controller pad shaped like a Vita and the screen can display a map. Add two more shoulder buttons and then make the two analog sticks click down more easily.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
So its been a week now.

Have folks stopped playing their Vita yet?

Any regrets?