Will people buy PSP VITA when it comes out in Feb next year?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Nope! I was going to buy one day one, but the one account per system policy killed it for me. There's no way I'm going to reset to factory default settings every time I want to play an import title.
I'm going to have to look into this more, but that may be a deal-killer for me, too. Being able to play imports is key for me with handhelds.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
All these companies were so good for so long, about not fucking with regional lockout bullshit, for their handheld systems. It makes me wonder what made them decide to fuck it up now? It was nice for niche gamers like us to be able to lay hands on titles that were never going to make it over here anyway.

I don't do very much import gaming, so it won't effect my purchasing decision, but it's still bullshit.

Last edited:

Ukee

Geese's Thug
I own a lot of handhelds so I will get the Vista sooner or late, I just hope the psp doesn't die off to soon. With the release of classic Neo Geo games on the psp I have been playing it more then ever. NGPC is still my favorite handheld but I refuse to take it out of the house, I use the PSPgo for that and thanks to the Neo Geo station it was made it my second favorite.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
If Gamestop offers a decent "trade in your DS/PSP towards a Vita" deal, I'll most likely get one of the WiFi ones. The top screen on my DS Lite is starting to go out and I'd like to get rid of it before it gets worse, and I don't own very many retail PSP games so I won't miss it. Otherwise, I'll just upgrade my PC instead and wait for a Vita revision that offers video-out.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Dragon's Crown definitely has me interested. Now if only they'd announce a Final Fantasy VI Complete Collection (in hi-res 2D just like the recent FF4 release), you probably couldn't take my money fast enough.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
For me, everything comes down to the import thing. I'd say about 70% or more of my psp gaming is imports. I have to be able to play my Gundam Vs. games and whatnot. But I still want to be able to play domestic releases for those times when language is a heavy issue (RPGs and whatever), and when a game's availability domestically means the price is going to be 1/3 that of the import version.

And I'm not buying 2 Vitas.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Can you not play imports with a US PSN account?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On the psp, you can only have one PSN account tied to the system, so you could probably have a JP/HK account, but then you couldn't have a US account on there. It sucks, I wish it were more like the PS3, where I can download from my HK account, and still play it if I'm logged into my US account.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
How would you get the imports? They won't be on the US PSN store.

If you buy imports physically, you'll be able to play them on a US Vita with a US PSN account. You won't have access to DLC for those games though (unless you create a JP PSN account and use that when you want to play imports).

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If you buy imports physically, you'll be able to play them on a US Vita with a US PSN account.
Wait a minute. I thought games for Vita were going to be completely download-only, like PSP Go. I thought ALL Vita games were going to have to be downloaded from PSN.

Are there going to be physical games as well after all?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Wait a minute. I thought games for Vita were going to be completely download-only, like PSP Go. I thought ALL Vita games were going to have to be downloaded from PSN.

Are there going to be physical games as well after all?

Vita games are going to be sold at retail on a new media format resembling memory sticks (though completely incompatible with them). The games are also available digitally though.

By the way, you'll need to buy one of those new memory cards in order to use the Vita. Or two memory cards if you plan on using both a US and JP PSN account, and want to avoid the hassle of having to format you Vita and re-entering your log-in info every time. The cheapest memory card will be $20 for 4gb.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh, okay then. That's fine. If it's going to be as easy as swapping out memory cards, I have zero problem paying an extra $40 for a couple memory cards. Crisis averted.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Alright, guys. I've got a PSP and I'm rather happy with it for what it is, and thusfar, the idea of a no-physical-copy system is a TOTAL dealbreaker, largely because I have been led to believe that the PSV is basically a new version of the PSP.

That being said, I'm interested to know if the PSV is a significant hardware upgrade from the PSP, and I have just never heard anyone say it. I mean, fuck the larger screen and wireless crap which has little to do with the software which would make it worthwhile, but does the PSV have actual processing capabilities of which the PSP could only have dreamed, or is it, as I understand, basically not a hardware jump at all in relation to games?

Is it little more than a better-looking platform for PSP games--as much of a jump as the Nintendo DSi-XL was to the original DS? Or is it something truly better?

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Is it little more than a better-looking platform for PSP games--as much of a jump as the Nintendo DSi-XL was to the original DS? Or is it something truly better?

The Vita is seriously a whole generation ahead.

The Vita has a 4-core CPU, 4-core GPU, 512mb of main RAM, 128mb of video RAM, and renders games at a higher resolution than the PSP does. And both the CPU and GPU are a lot faster/more powerful than the ones in the PSP. Just look at videos/screenshots of Uncharted on Vita.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
The Vita is seriously a whole generation ahead.
I appreciate the information, mademoiselle. That really is a big jump; so much so that it makes me wonder why Sony would decide to associate the PSV with the PSP, given that the latter was never really a "gotta-have" system which everyone associated with being a quality portable gaming platform.

That being said, the PSV still feels mega-gimmicky and lacking of a personality/image worthy of attracting fans of a true game system or multi-use telephone. Being neither of the above, I can't see it going anywhere, but nevertheless may still serve to influence others in the electronic industry. Unfortunately, it's choices like that which ultimately crushed SEGA as a hardware designer, and though Sony, of course, has far more than video games to economically support them, it again makes one wonder why the PSV is designed as it is.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You can use different psn accounts with different Vita memory cards? Hmmm, I wouldn't mind having a separate card loaded with my Japanese ps1 shooters. Vita interest +1.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
If the Vita can play PS2 games I'll buy it once CFW is stable for the system, but not on launch. I'm still having a good time with my PSP, currently playing Genghis Khan on NestorP along with playing Money Exchange when I get bored. I will admit the main reason I would buy the Vita is if the controllers feel good enough to play fighting games on it. That's the main reason I hate the PSP, playing fighting games on it is practically impossible.

This post is my 1,000 post.

Ukee

Geese's Thug
I'll admit too that being able to change accounts by simply switching cards does make it a lot more interesting since I like to do downloads as my main gaming on my handhelds. Alas it is still just to big for me to carry around in my pocket, plus I can not justify the price on the cards. I will wait a few years and hope they make a PSV go, and that the cards drop in price like the PSP ones did.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929

Ok, so I know the PS Vita is getting BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and in March, Street Fighter x Tekken. If this article is true, then I'm officially sold.

I love my fighters!

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/12/umvc3-vita-video-preview-by-ign/

This has me sold on it as well. Looks just as good as the console versions and I like how you can use the touch screen for hyper combos and assist characters.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I was pretty hyped for Vita and I got one the day it came out.

It's a very impressive system. The hardware is solid like no other portable really has been.

There's a an awful lot of speculation being passed off as facts in this thread. For example, I haven't heard of being able to have individual accounts on separate memory cards. I don't have two memory cards, and I'm not going to buy another one to try it out, but I'm pretty sure this is not a possibility.

As for the one account per system thing, it was exactly the same on PSP. It's not a big deal.

I don't get why people are crying about the prices of the memory cards. It's not that bad. I remember paying $120 for a 1GB memory card when PSP came out.

Lastly, yes, they have most certainly made physical copies of the games.

Last edited: