Will people buy PSP VITA when it comes out in Feb next year?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
ok guys, so I just bought a Vita online...it hasn't even been shipped yet, but I am already having buyers remorse.

I just can't think of any games I am dying to play on it. Games I would like to get are:

- Uncharted
- Resistance
- Gravity Rush
- Wipeout
- Soul Sacrifice

I'm interested in getting these games when they come out:
- Muramasa
- Dragon's Crown
- Killzone

But I dunno...there are so many 3DS games on the horizon I want (and so many I own and have not yet played through...).

Am I missing some awesome games on the Vita? Is there something I MUST play? Right now, i'm not seeing it...and it makes me kinda regret buying one :/

Are there any awesome imports?

Damn impulse buys...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Original Titles:

Assassin's Creed: Liberation
Ragnarok Odyssey (may want to wait on this, though. From what I hear, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, which is the same game plus some additional content, is coming west.)

Rereleases of previous games that are always worth another look:

Persona 4 Golden
Ninja Gaiden Sigma+
Ninja Gaiden II Sigma+
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

Games for PSP that look great on the Vita and are currently available on PSN:

Castlevania Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection
Black Rock Shooter (only available as digital download)

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks for the recos..I may get Persona, but that won't be for awhile....need to play through Fire Emblem first.

Is Ragnarok pretty similar to Soul Sacrifice?

Though I love Ninja Gaiden, may pass on the Sigma titles for now...really looking for new experiences. I just beat Razors Edge on Wii U last night though, and it rocked.

How about Persona Arena? Looks pretty slick...and I'm always in the mood for a good portable fighting game.

Oh forgot to mention I have Assassins Creed coming with system, I got the sexy white bundle.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Persona 4 Arena is not, to my knowledge, available on Vita.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Darn it....don't know why I thought it was...bummer

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Oh, you asked about Ragnarok Odyssey.

It's more like Monster Hunter. In fact, in a lot of ways, it's trying to duplicate that formula.

It's not as good as Monster Hunter, but I still think RO is a pretty good action RPG for the game starved Vita.

But wait for RO Ace.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Games for PSP that look great on the Vita and are currently available on PSN:

Castlevania Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection
Black Rock Shooter (only available as digital download)

Great like in "better" or great like in "great for upscaling"?
How's that BRS game?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Am I missing some awesome games on the Vita? Is there something I MUST play? Right now, i'm not seeing it...and it makes me kinda regret buying one :/

Are there any awesome imports?

Damn impulse buys...

If you want a rhythm game, there's Project Diva f and DJ Max Technika Tune.

I hear the Ys game for Vita is pretty good. It's going to be localized.

Since you've got Soul Sacrifice already, you should hold out on Ragnarok Odyssey until the upgraded version comes out.

There's also New Little King's Story, but it's digital-only in the US.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Great like in "better" or great like in "great for upscaling"?
How's that BRS game?

With the PSP games, I meant it more in the sense that as PSP games go, these look very good on the Vita despite being previous generation games.

As for Black Rock Shooter, I'm writing up something for it but the short version is that it's pretty good. I can't recall the last game that was exactly like it. I wouldn't pay 40 for it but since it's 20 on PSN and is download only in the US, I think it's worth it.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Ragnarok looks pretty good…the fact that it is like Monster Hunter is a good thing to me.

I was looking very forward to MH3U on the 3DS and Wii U, but the demos turned me off since it felt pretty inaccessible to me…I was kinda lost and felt it was stupidly difficult. I know it’s kind of unfair to judge a game by its demo, but the experience kind of turned me off from it.

From what I’ve read though, Ragnarok may be even more difficult to get into/less noob friendly. Hopefully the upgraded version will address this, since I would like to play this kind of game. MH3U didn’t seem to be my cup of tea…maybe this will suit me better.

I have to say, one of the things I am kinda disappointed by the Vita is that the PS3 had so many exclusive titles, (more than the 360 I believe)…but there seem to be very few on the Vita. Not really fair for me to make a statement like this, (having never played any of these games), but many of them seem to be poor man’s versions of 3DS games…do I really want to play little big planet, mod nation racers or playstation all stars when I already have NSMB2, Mario Kart 7 and (hopefully soon) the new smash brothers on 3DS? I’m sure each of those games has its own merits, but I wish some of these exclusive Vita titles offered something different I couldn’t get anywhere else…

Hopefully some good announcements will come at E3 like portable Infamous or God of War. I think the new Killzone game looks cool too.

I think most of my concerns have been put to rest though. Hopefully Dragon’s Crown alone will make the Vita a worthy purchase - everything will just be sugar frosting.

Lastly, does Ridge Racer really suck that bad? I seldom play games online…so would my only option be racing time trials (with no other cars on the track)?

Last edited:

6tusBeckmesser

Mr. Big's Thug
Yes, RR is really bad! Especially the single player! Didn't believe it and wasted my money. If you really need it buy the PSP one instead (if available).

Also I agree with the exclusives. Or even the good games. Vita is a hard system to love if you don't use it as a glorified PSP simulator.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea ridge racer is only 1/4 of a game, the rest of the game has to be bought. So stupid and the one reason why I will never own the game.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I am going to stand up and defend Playstation All Stars Battle Royal. In my opinion, it is just as good as any Smash Brothers game ever made (no fucking joke here) and is filled with exactly the type of fan service for each IP that you can tell the devs really did their homework and understood all the various parent IPs they pulled the roster from.

The roster is great, too:

PaRappa
Kratos
Zeus (God of War)
Nathan Drake
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Sweet Tooth
Raiden (Metal Gear Rising)
Heihachi Mishima
Fat Princess
Sly Cooper
Jakk and Daxter
Big Daddy
Cole Mcgrath (good and evil)
Colonel Radec (Killzone)
Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
Sackboy
Ser Daniel Fortesque (MidEvil)
Emmet Graves (Warhawk)
Isaac Clarke (Dead Space)
Toro Inoue (Doko Demo)
Spike (Ape Escape)
Dante (DmC version)

Those characters come from a lot of great games and it plays surprisingly well.

I don't argue against the fact that Playstation All Stars comes off as derivitave. It absolutely does. But it's also just as much, if not more, fun, and it has just as much crossover fan service with non exclusive titles like Bioshock, Devil May Cry, Tekken and Dead Space.

The only problem might be that you may have a hard time finding random online comp. But the game itself is solid.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Never seen a roster with so many unlikeable characters...maybe it's just too edgy for me.

As for BRS: is shooting, dodging and blocking all you ever do in that game? Because it feels like that to me.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yeah everything I've read seems to indicate All Stars is its "own" game and very enjoyable...

But I have to say i am not crazy about the roster either.

I guess my main problem with the game is the concept itself. Nintendo has a long history of creating memorable characters...and the chance to pit them against one another in a fighting game was awesome.

Sony, not so much so. Guys like Sweet Tooth or Kratos may have been around for years...but they dont have the history/likeability of Kirby or Pikachu or even Captain Falcon, lol.

The whole idea of Sony creating a mascot fighting games seems so forced and contrived...I mean Sony was never known for having cool mascots. And I'm sorry, but Jak, Ratchet and Crash Bandicoot dont really cut it...and certainly not Fat Princess and/or Sackboy.

As a result, conceptually it just feels like Sony was trying to shoe-horn in their franchises to give players something comparable to Smash Brothers...even though their mascots are not nearly as likeable or memorable.

Like I said, I am sure the game is fun and well made...but seems like a perverse cash grab of the worst kind. I understand I am coming off as a major Nintendo fanboy in this thread (probably because I am one), but this game in particular just doesn't sit right with me.

But what am I saying...I'll probably pick it up anyway :)

EDIT: And as far as mascots go...they should have had Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer in the game. In the early days, Ridge Racer and Playstation were synomous!

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
As for BRS: is shooting, dodging and blocking all you ever do in that game? Because it feels like that to me.

That's the basic gist. You get XP, you power up, it has a few grindy RPG elements (Japan, yo), but that's the gist of it. It's pretty well done for what it is. Worth $20, IMO.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Well I got for free so I can't complain really...just feels very shallow to me. It didn't even have "that" song for the intro. :/

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
In reality, what you need is a pspgo hacked and a 3ds with a dstwo cart (gba and nds games). You'll be set for life.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yes, RR is really bad! Especially the single player! Didn't believe it and wasted my money. If you really need it buy the PSP one instead (if available).

Also I agree with the exclusives. Or even the good games. Vita is a hard system to love if you don't use it as a glorified PSP simulator.

Yea ridge racer is only 1/4 of a game, the rest of the game has to be bought. So stupid and the one reason why I will never own the game.

Thanks guys...looks like Ridge Racer is out...I thought I would get it if I could find it cheap...but probably wont even bother.

In other news I checked out the PSN store and saw some interesting games. Motorstom RC an Escape Plan look like must buys

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm just patiently waiting for Dragon's Crown to bring my Vita back out of it's case.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Maybe they should make a special version of VITA with Dragon's Crown as pack in, since apparently half the people who bought the VITA was eyeing that title.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So i got my Vita last night...some initial impressions.

It is beautiful. Screen looks great. It also feels better in my hands than my 3DS XL. I tried out Assasins Creed 3 Liberation for a bit...and though it was impressive, I couldn't really get into it. It may not be the game, maybe I'm just not into those types of games...

I spent most of time playing some demos. Gravity Rush, Wipeout and Uncharted. Not surprisingly, all of them impressed. I really loved Gravity Rush, just felt alot of fun to play, really refreshing.

Overall i like the system. But I have to say, if I had a PS3, I would probably care less for it. Since i don't, playing games like Uncharted and Resistance will feel a bit unique to me, but if I had the console counterparts I'm not so sure i would care to play them on the go. :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Neo: If you haven't already, sign up for PS+ and get a big memory card when they are on sale. It's a huge value for Vita owners, Uncharted and Gravity Rush are free on it right now.