Will people buy PSP VITA when it comes out in Feb next year?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
It looks cool but I have to download the games into a memory disc instead? They were talking about you can buy game (physical or whatever format that is) at the retails but it'll be 30-40% cheaper to DL......

Im confused here.......

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I've seen a few videos of it online and it looks damn sexy. Was tempted to import as it's English ready, but I'll certainly be picking it up when it comes to the States. Can't wait for Dragon Crown.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't think so. After PSP Go and other blunders, the PS handheld market is floundering.

The last couple PAX's i went to, you could see 100's of people on DS's. I didn't see a single PSP....

I love the games on my PSP, but i just don't carry it with me. I do carry my DS when i travel though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'll get one, but not right away. I never early adopt anything anymore.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im pretty done with portables now. My eyes cant take the small screen anymore.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I was going to preorder one, but then I saw the prices for the proprietary memory cards.

4GB, $19
8GB, $38
16GB, $51
32GB, $120

Since you cannot save some games on the game cards themselves you'll need to buy one of these just to save progress. I doubt that the story of Vita games being cheaper in PSN than at retail is true. Cutting into the profit of those that shelve your product would raise hell with retailers. Meh, no...I'm passing on the Vita until there's a game I just have to play. I'm sure I would need, at a minimum, the 16GB memory card because I'll be downloading games from PSN rather than buying physical copies.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I tried a demo unit yesterday. I played MvC3 and was pretty blown away by it. The D pad and analog sticks felt really good and the screen looked very nice. The wifi model is 25,000 yen and very tempting.

I think I'm going to wait for a little while though. I've bought too many systems on launch and regretted it. Finally the 3DS is getting good, it took a LONG time for that to happen.

What games are people looking forward to?

Right now I'm with Magician. Until there is an awesome game I'll wait.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Sony has a hard-on for proprietary formats, and a history of failed proprietary formats they supported/created.

The only logical step would have been to use memory stick, or even better: fucking SD cards, like everybody else.

31860d1322485528-vita-psxscene.gif

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
the prices for those memory cards are seriously lol worthy

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pretty games are not a reason to get the VITA.
The games themselves will probably need 1GB or more.

Those memory cards are another kick to the face for PS fans....if there are any.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm looking forward to the Vita because I've wanted games to look 'console' good for a long time since I only have time to play games (any substantial amount of time anyway) on the go. Sony is a frustrating company to deal with, but they've got the goods with their software lineup, so I'll get it, and I'm sure I can get the wholesale price on the memcards at work.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I was going to preorder one, but then I saw the prices for the proprietary memory cards.

4GB, $19
8GB, $38
16GB, $51
32GB, $120

Right there when I heard about the proprietary cards (before even seeing the prices) I knew it would be trouble. I remember when the PSP first came out and even though the memory duo was used on other Sony devices, at the time the card prices were just a hindrance if you wanted to do anything outside of play games and the cards available weren't even that big (it was suppose to be a media device, kind of counter intuitive).

But even without that I'm definitely going to hold off on this one. There will be some good games early it seems but nothing that shouldn't be around in a year or so, I'd rather spend time buying up all the great PSP games at bargain prices. PSP always going in waves of complete disinterest to full on obsession and I'm in the latter right now. I could see the Vita even just kind of stagnating and possibly even having a drop or some type of crazy good holiday bundle late next year, so I'll take my chances.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
I'm still not getting charmed by the ps vita yet... since I'm more of a beat'em up, fighting, sidescroller gamer myself, haven't seen any MIND blowing titles...

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I was on the fence about it, leaning towards probably getting one. But when I found out about the memory cards, that pushed me back the other way.

To add to it, no matter how awesome it might be, like another poster said I'm done with small screens.
I like large screens. I use a projector, 50" plasma, and I like playing my big red cab only a foot or two away from the 25" screen. Hell, even my computer monitor is a 24" flatscreen.

When I do travel, I'm usually too busy to mess with gaming. Sitting at the airport here or waiting there I may have some limited time to play, but it's not quality time at all. Even then, I do have a DS xl and a PSP with more games than I'll ever play for them, so it's just not in the cards for me to get the Vita regardless of how awesome it might be.

Aside from all of that, I'm kind of anti-digital copies of games. If someone wants to have that, I've nothing against it. For me personally, I like having the games and their cases on my bookshelf for display when not in use.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I'm still not getting charmed by the ps vita yet... since I'm more of a beat'em up, fighting, sidescroller gamer myself, haven't seen any MIND blowing titles...

If Dragon's Crown doesn't tickle your beat em up bone I don't know what will.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

This. I'm more of a twitch shooter, beat em up, platformer, puzzle, RPG player myself, and so far the launch games don't offer any of those genre of games. Excuse my ignorance, I've not kept up too much on Vita news, but to my knowledge, non of those genres are represented (besides Lumines) for domestic US Vita Launch releases.

Plus I'm out of work now and can't afford such an expensive system.

I have hopes though that this will be a great system eventually, just like the PSP is(was). I still play my PSP to this day. Great system. I haven't been into RPGs lately (I blame it on my temporary short attention span.), but when I've got the patience for them again and have a job, I'll buy this system when it drops in price.

The question is: Will it be worth it to get just the Wifi system, or the 3G/4G (Whatever it is), and pay the extra monthly fee? What a bunch of bullshit. They should do it like the 3G kindle does, charge more money up front, and just give you the 3/4G for free.

Last edited:

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I just sold some Magic: the Gathering cards on ebay and got $300 for them. I preordered my Vita today on Amazon. I'm looking forward to it. I'm a fan of portable games. Most of my gaming now a days are on portable systems. One of my favorite systems is the GBA Micro, so small screens don't bother me.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Prices for the proprietary memory cards have been altered for the NA launch. (1up)

4GB = $20
8GB = $30
16GB = $60
32GB = $100

mungrin

Panko KING,
I am a PS hater but if that game Ruin is what they say it is,I will get a ps3 and vita

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Prices for the proprietary memory cards have been altered for the NA launch. (1up)

4GB = $20
8GB = $30
16GB = $60
32GB = $100
is that altered up or down?

edit: whoop, never mind, just saw your previous post.

Last edited:
Nope! I was going to buy one day one, but the one account per system policy killed it for me. There's no way I'm going to reset to factory default settings every time I want to play an import title. Also with Gravity Daze being rumored to be an download only title, I'd probably have to buy an extra huge memory card to play niche titles.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
If Dragon's Crown doesn't tickle your beat em up bone I don't know what will.

wow that does look nice indeed...

However I still have to finish tons of games on the PSP, some in the DS and don't get me started on ps2, so I'll wait a couple of years and see how this console plays its strong aces, and probably get a used console in good shape... nice thing is my computer is very old so I don't have get updated PC gaming wise :lolz:

Last edited:

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Looks like the PSP outsold the Vita this week in Japan. 101,000 units to 72,000. The Vita dropped from 324,000 last week to 72,000 this week. Kinda makes me want to cancel my preorder... I'll wait to see though. (stole from Cheapy D btw)

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Looks like the PSP outsold the Vita this week in Japan. 101,000 units to 72,000. The Vita dropped from 324,000 last week to 72,000 this week. Kinda makes me want to cancel my preorder... I'll wait to see though. (stole from Cheapy D btw)

As the article alluded to, and as sad as it may be to face, portable phones/tablets/devices in general are taking some of the share in the portable gaming industry. The average joe is just fine with an IOS/Android device to play quick games on. They're certainly not as fully fleshed out as a dedicated portable gaming device, but Though it's good enough for the lowest common denominator.