New Product - Daedalus NeoGeo Converter

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yeah, it's still an amazing product. Easily one of the best efforts ever done for the AES community. It's about time somebody made a real converter, not a half-assed job.

Since I have MVS mobos and just one AES, I'd never have a need for this. Even if I did, I'd be fine with modding one of the cheaper converters. $400 can go towards a nice TV or something.

DavidG

For anyone with a Phantom-1 or a Pranslation it's possible to do a simple mod to make both converters play almost every game without the new P1 upgrade board. The new board is only for KOF2003, MS5 and SvC. It also helps with NG Dev games and also the higher multicarts.

For those not wanting to install the new P1 board you can grab alt versions of kof2k3, ms5 and svc which all run fine as is.

Daedalus was made for those who are having a hard time finding a Phantom-1 or simply don't like them.

All the info on how to mod a Phantom-1 are located in the converter forum that is within the Tech forum.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
For anyone with a Phantom-1 or a Pranslation it's possible to do a simple mod to make both converters play almost every game without the new P1 upgrade board. The new board is only for KOF2003, MS5 and SvC. It also helps with NG Dev games and also the higher multicarts.

For those not wanting to install the new P1 board you can grab alt versions of kof2k3, ms5 and svc which all run fine as is.

Daedalus was made for those who are having a hard time finding a Phantom-1 or simply don't like them.

All the info on how to mod a Phantom-1 are located in the converter forum that is within the Tech forum.
Does the upgrade board fix the scaling problems with the Phantom 1, or is the Daedalus the only way to get 100% compatibly?

DavidG

Yes the P1 upgrade board will fix the gfx issues with all ZMC2 Phantom-1's. Once the board is installed the only game you may have trouble with is the 1xx in one multicarts. All SNK originals will work fine.

Mixel78

n00b
first Hello everybody . I'm proud to be a part of this forum. Probably i'am the only guy here from Luxemburg who cares about the Neo Geo.
My question is do you still have some converters ? If yes how can i get one ?
See that this converter has no scaling problem ..nice work
thanks

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
its slick but it doesn't work with the 120 in 1. So far this is the only incompatibility I have discovered (to my own misfortune). other than the above issue, the converter is amazing!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
its slick but it doesn't work with the 120 in 1. So far this is the only incompatibility I have discovered (to my own misfortune). other than the above issue, the converter is amazing!

As far as I know the 120 doesn't work with any converter, something like it needs the Neo's backup ram which an AES doesn't have.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That's really an incompatibility with the AES, not the convertor.

SSS

neo retired
Hey, David. Why didn't you design the home console with back up RAM?

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
you guys are right...but I would wager that not everyone who purchased a daedalus converter has amassed the same degree of knowledge that you two possess with regard to the ram issue and compatibility with other converters. not really a big deal, I put my 120 up for sale at a loss of 20 dollars and sold it in a matter of hours and then subsequently purchased a 161 in 1. hopefully this one will work but davidg has given us all assurances that it will.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
you guys are right...but I would wager that not everyone who purchased a daedalus converter has amassed the same degree of knowledge that you two possess with regard to the ram issue and compatibility with other converters. not really a big deal, I put my 120 up for sale at a loss of 20 dollars and sold it in a matter of hours and then subsequently purchased a 161 in 1. hopefully this one will work but davidg has given us all assurances that it will.

From what I've been told by people who bought the 161-in-1 is that it works on the AES but it has horrible build quality so you might get one that doesn't work very well. It also needs more juice if you have a non-5v system.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
shit, I don't have a 5 volt system. How will I go about giving it more juice? as I posted earlier I have been reduced to rocking a megadrive psu.

One100bill

n00b
Can some one please explain to me what am I suppose to do with the 2 screws, 2 washers and 2 nuts that came with the daedalus? The pictures of daedalus at the beginning of this thread shows 4 screws already screwed in but mine came with no screws just the loose hardware I mentioned above. Plus I'm not able to screw them in. There is nothing inside the holes that would allow me to securely screw them in. Just a long hole where the screws go in easily but also fall off easily. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Punisher5.0

Cheng's Errand Boy
You should contact who ever you bought it from. They are supposed to come all together.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This is what David told me a while back about the screws:

The converter has 4 screws that hold down the cart connectors to the board. These were installed more to help keep the two boards spaced apart correctly than to hold down the connectors. In later models I moved the 4 screws to the corners of the board which worked much better so we no longer need them on the connectors. They are not needed and if your friend somehow finds a way to rip the connectors off the board while taking out a MVS cart I will replace the board.

One100bill

n00b
161 just received and it works great with the daedalus!

I also received my 161 in 1 today. Does Art Of Fighting 2 work on yours? Everything works but the timer. Every match is only 10 seconds long when playing on 1 player. Also on Aero Fighters 3 the bullets do get stuck on top of the screen during the 2nd stage. Also , I am not able to reset/exit to the game list. I have to turn off the geo and start again. I'm running unibios 3.0 in case that matters.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
I also received my 161 in 1 today. Does Art Of Fighting 2 work on yours? Everything works but the timer. Every match is only 10 seconds long when playing on 1 player. Also on Aero Fighters 3 the bullets do get stuck on top of the screen during the 2nd stage. Also , I am not able to reset/exit to the game list. I have to turn off the geo and start again. I'm running unibios 3.0 in case that matters.

After loading pretty much any game in the 161-in-1, hop into the softdip settings. The games sometimes have weird defaults on the 161, or weird difficulty settings. AF3 bullets being busted is totally known/consistent across Multicarts.

The only case I've seen of the hold-1P-start-forever to load the game menu not working was when I had a memory card inserted. If you have one, try removing it before playing and seeing if it still occurs.

Funny timer settings/softdip can also pop up in general (outside the multicart) if something like a lot of attempts to load a dirty cart fail and the backup ram gets wonky. I had Windjammers once load up with 1sec round timers. That's...not very useful.

One100bill

n00b
After messing around with it for a while Aero Fighters 3 works just fine. The bullet glitch did not occur. Another thing I noticed is the sound sometimes gets louder and then goes back to normal. This happened on Aero Fighters 3 but them I played it again and finished it with perfect audio. Strikers 1945 did have the audio fluctuate. I will try removing the memory card tomorrow and see if that helps with the game menu. Thanks for helping out. The daedalus is aewsome

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
What exactly did you do to make Aero Fighters 3 work? I dont think anyone has gotten it to work with a multicart before you.

One100bill

n00b
What exactly did you do to make Aero Fighters 3 work? I dont think anyone has gotten it to work with a multicart before you.

I only experienced the bullet glitch once on stage 2 while using the black American plane the very first time I played this game.
The second time I used a different plane and randomly turned on some of the dip switches on the unibios but had to turn them off because it got really slow. I did leave slot 2 to on on dip bank 2 and I was able to complete the game without any glitches. The third time none of the dip switches were turned on and it worked great using the same black american plane and once again finished the game without any glitches. The only thing I noticed all 3 times is that there is no sound during the intro when you select the game from the game list and let the intro play on its own but sound works just fine once you start playing. Hope this sort of helps. Will try again today and post back.

One100bill

n00b
After loading pretty much any game in the 161-in-1, hop into the softdip settings. The games sometimes have weird defaults on the 161, or weird difficulty settings. AF3 bullets being busted is totally known/consistent across Multicarts.

How do you access the soft dip settings on the 161 in 1 cart? Do you mean the dip settings on the unibios or does the multigame cart have its own soft dip settings.