New Product - Daedalus NeoGeo Converter

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
so many cool toys to do......so little cash to do them.... :(

gptrilik

n00b
Everything looks pretty good with my Daedalus now. DavidG replaced it as he saw something not right with it after I sent it back to him. It was the same one that esp083 was reporting issues with. I did run a solid 50+ MVS carts through it with no major or even minor problems except for Metal Slug X.. Honestly I haven't tried it for a few weeks. I will give that another go.

Pretty sweet product for sure.

gptrilik

The issue you're seeing is when one (or more) pins are not making perfect connection. This can happen on the cart to converter side or the converter to the system side. Phantom-1 users should know it well since the slightest movement while running can cause such errors. Since the converter is new it would be very slim for it to be the connection to the MVS cart.

You can see in the image that the converter is able to hold a MVS cart well but it is still pulling the device forward a little. I would also recommend you add something to hold the MVS cart up and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Did the fix also eliminate the need to prop up the cart? Just curious as this seemed like its only real flaw.

gptrilik

n00b
I never really had any issues with needing to prop up the cart. Once it was in, it was in. There was just something that was not working right inside of mine.. It was fixed. =-)

Most of my testing was done with a JPN 9V AES. My US 5V AES is on the fritz.

gptrilik

Did the fix also eliminate the need to prop up the cart? Just curious as this seemed like its only real flaw.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
That switch should be left in the position it arrived to you about 99% of the time. So far, the only MVS cartridge which may require it to be switched over on some home console revisions is Metal Slug X. But again, it depends on which console you have.

I am in the process of testing every single MVS cartridge (yes the entire collection and then some) with this newer updated revision and I will report the results when I am finished and the report is ready.

In the meantime, "stay thirsty my friends" :)

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
I just played Blazing Star on my Neo AES.... :'-)
I am so happy right now. Many thanks to DavidG, you are tha man!!!

noisyninja

n00b
Just received my Daedalus. I'm pretty new to NG stuff, so I only have one MVS cart: Samurai Showdown. It works like a charm though! Looking forward to buying more now that I can play them.

Now I need to get my BIOS fixed so it plays stuff in English (it's a Japanese machine). Any suggestions? I've tried contacting Jeff Kurtz but I've received no reply.

noisyninja

n00b
Last time was about a month ago. Will try again. I've heard lots of positive things about your work, so I'm interested in having you do it.

Svckpatrol

n00b
Been emailing DavidG back and forth as he's putting mine together. Gotta say, what a champ. He's got a serious testing process for quality control. Can't wait to replace my phantom with this thing.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
A question to David and the other members that have the converter. I have read through the thread and noticed some replies regarding the force required to place the carts into the converter. I can't compare the experience with the phantom converter as I never owned one, but the force required for this converter seems considerable to me. It also seems like quite a bit of force to take the cart out afterward. My question is, will the converter be durable considering the force that is exerted to insert and remove carts, and is there a method to insert remove carts efficiently?

Also, when do I use the switch at the bottom?

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
You can see a few posts back about the switch, when I asked that question.
It can require some real force if you remove games by pulling straight out, but I have found that 'wiggling' up and down a little while extracting makes carts come out much easier.

DavidG

Games like Metal Slug X and KOF98 on 9v or higher neos may not start and that's why I added the switch. If you have a 9v or higher neo system you should try MSX as is first and if it works great, if you get a black screen then use the switch. Make sure to turn it off before using other games when you're done.

Cart slots - the Phantom-1 is number one on the list of force needed to insert a game. Sullins in the US make cart slots that are better to insert a game but five times harder to remove. I took the time to replace the slots on a P1 using them and I was unable to remove the cart. The new converter uses a modified version of the slots used by the P1 and makes it easier to use. They will also loosen over time and use. Rockstar has it right with the 'wiggle' which is the best way to describe it. This method makes it quite easy to use the converter since you're moving one board at a time instead of both at once.

All pending orders are complete and already shipped. I currently have 10 converters in stock.

DavidG

I've sold 55 of them so far with a total of 100 being made. If you would like one send me a pm.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
being that this was a real letdown due to the nature of the price.

i wish there was more open source alternative which i thought this was going to be since so many helped.

looks like great product thou

DavidG

I told you via PM the steps to make your own converter. The problem was you wanted a DIY version for $50 or less and sadly it can't be done and I showed you in great detail why.

The parts you have will not fit the Daedalus boards.

The cheapest way to get a working converter is to wait and buy a Phantom-1 or SMVS2 when the come up for cheap (both have been seen cheap over the last year several times). Mod them using the P1 upgrade board and both will do the job well.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah that never happened. this guide.

still needs to be something open source.

i can wait. all due time