KOF XIII: Shortcuts, Beating Survival, etc.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This is its own thread, because I'm gonna make it like a diary of things.

Legend for the Neo Geo impaired:

WP = :A:
WK = :B:
HP = :C:
HK = :D:

Tough combos, and how to do maneuver them

Okay, first thing is first is shortcutting actions. In this game, to do certain actions, like say you want to do vice's trial with cWK cWK cWK hcb x 2 KK. If you mash the super stupid fast, its not gonna come out. You can try it over and over, it will almost never work... It may even feel impossible. Here is how you actually do these motions.

First off, since the super involves two hcb motions to KK, Vice has no conflicting moves to increase your shot at this. This is a good thing.

So we do the FIRST cWK, then for the SECOND, you are going to do a roll downward starting from forward. We will call this motion QCD, or quarter circle down.. Why? This cuts into the super's requirement, a part of the half circle back motion. So the third cWK we will do this, and end the motion with a full hcb into KK. The motion is the following if you break it up.

crouch WK, qcd, wk, *if you do it right, the second wk should be another crouch wk* qcd, wk, then immediately hcb KK! My friend MR KOF helped me with this, as I was trying to figure out how to do it.

This type of thing works for other similar trials.

Charge moves, neutral shortcutting

KOF XIII is amusing in that it allows for softened actions. If its not working, you're probably working to hard. Load up Ash trial number 3. You will notice it seems damn hard. Well gee, the jHK, sHP seems easy enough, but you rarely get his charge back forward punch right? That is because you're still holding the motion when you shouldn't be. You hold back as you jump in HK, as you land, you press HP, then release the joystick to neutral, then immediately press forward WP.. It will work every time. Get used to charge actions being shortcut-ted in this manner. Its how I beat all 10 of terry's trials.

Enter max mode, aka BC canceling, aka calm the hell down and pay attention to frames.

Start by practicing terry. Do jump in HK sHK fwdWP, BC, HK fwdWP, burn knuckle. Get this down 100%. Then you can move onto doing this stuff in a more relaxed feel. You will mash shit as soon as you enter the mode. This happens because you aren't used to how slow this game actually is. Its KOF 2002 with training wheels, and its still damn hard to play.

Gameplay notes, and various finds

I'm digging into this game like crazy, binging on it a tad. You can actually do some cool stuff. K'127 was bringing up how you can shortcut some motions with a simple fwd.

Another cool thing is when you run, you can keep running while holding down+forward. So say you're ash, and you start running at a non projectile character from full screen. If they jump, you could be storing his down up kick charge, and do it as soon as they jump. You get the idea.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I know. Sorry to toot my own horn. This stuff will help though. I hated doing some trials not knowing this engine.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I'm loving the shit out of KOF XIII.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Charge Shortcuts... Having issues drive canceling with Leona? When you do her down up WP/HP. and you wanna cancel it to the charge back forward WK/HK. You do it this way. Start by holding down+back, and then release it to neutral, press up forward WP>WK. You do this sort of slowly, and then both will come out.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Charge Shortcuts... Having issues with Leona? When you do her down up WP/HP. and you wanna cancel it to the charge back forward WK/HK. You do it this way. Start by holding down+back, and then release it to neutral, press up forward WP>WK. You do this sort of slowly, and then both will come out.

that's interesting. It seems very SFII.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Survival mode

Okay, two trophys/achievements to be had here. One is beat three opponents, the other is beat 35. I settled on using terry for the whole thing. I've read it gets harder every five matches or so.

So pick Terry now to follow my little FAQ. I recommend learning his timing in training mode, because hes a asset.

Here is the plan. You need a few things. You are gonna do jump in HK/D FP/C, then down+fwd FP/C then WP burn knuckle (qcb+p). This is the corner bread and butter combo to nail this crap down. Good meter builder and good damage to do.. When you have various supers, you can just forget the burn knuckle and do those in place of it. Make sure to store meter more at about 20 kills and not waste it unless you fight these threatening characters.

Do this method and get 25 kills. You repeatedly rush them down so they cannot breathe.. This is key. If you let them breathe, they may get a random super.

At about 25 kills or so, you will notice they anti air. Kyo will anti air stuff with his dp, so if you fight his dumb ass, dash back twice and do a fierce burn knuckle. The computer rarely guards this, no clue as to why they rarely do..

General Neo Max Rule after 25 kills.

If anyone has three meters after 25 kills. Let them neo max and just guard the damn thing. THEY WILL DO IT. It'll do about half life. Be careful..

Super fear characters... These characters past 20 or so kills.. If you run into them, YOU GUARD and let them waste supers or neo max especially. If you don't, you could eat a neo max and eat major damage. Crippling you for the next two fights to gain life back.

Iori, he'll do his maiden masher super over and over. Guard it, and do a basic thing. Like standing HP/C, buster wolf (qcf x 2 WP/HP A/C).. He'll usually jump in, do like a jab or low attack, then just do it. Really scrubby, and easy to get caught with if you don't guard. He doesn't combo it. He just throws it out there.

Leona. Same idea, she will do her back forward kick charge move, and then do super. Or just super, or v slasher super. Let her waste all the meter and rail on her with terry. Don't get caught. Punish her with supers for doing this dumb crap.

Mai. The best ambush character in all of survival mode. Its her neo max that is the problem. If anything, let her burn it. She will do her deadly ninja bee's super over and over also, this is a free guard to a buster wolf.

Daimon. Stay close to him and do low jump D's.

Remember. Past 25 kills, the computer wises up and reacts to shit. Really stupid things that get you caught. Just guard until they burn their supers.

Fight 34 Awakened Saiki

This fight is easy, you get close, and jump low and do jD/jumping HK in the air. If you do it right, your shoe should touch his face, always hitting him. He will try and anti air with his HP move and it will never touch you.

Fight 35 Dark Ash. Low D. You crouch sweep him over and over. If he rolls through you with his guard fAB action, just do it again. When he was waking up, I'd do a low WP, then as he is rising crouching HK. This is how its done.

Last edited:

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
Charge Shortcuts... Having issues drive canceling with Leona? When you do her down up WP/HP. and you wanna cancel it to the charge back forward WK/HK. You do it this way. Start by holding down+back, and then release it to neutral, press up forward WP>WK. You do this sort of slowly, and then both will come out.

I just charge downback, upback+LP/HP, f+LK/HK. Same applies to Ash's flash kick, fireball/rush attack.

Survival mode, just pick Vice and do dp+HP until their dead..... Except for Mai, you have to rush her down. She doesn't fall for the grab.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Hmm, i'll try that then. I main ash as one of my chars, so I need this. Thanks.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I just charge downback, upback+LP/HP, f+LK/HK. Same applies to Ash's flash kick, fireball/rush attack.

Survival mode, just pick Vice and do dp+HP until their dead..... Except for Mai, you have to rush her down. She doesn't fall for the grab.

I've been doing it with like that with Leona's trial and I'm having a really hard time. LWK's method seem easier. I will try it later today.