Finally own an AES

sat985

Quiz Detective
I would be interested in seeing the xrgb pics aswell, please share:) As for the bios, a unibios is definately worth the time/money. USA system is english and without blood. Personally I prefer a unibnios, USA for sports games wihen friends are over and JP when I play fighters or am playing by myself (I speak japanese).

TurboCro

AESwipe,
As promised, XRGB pics:

Resolution set to 720P, using FrameMeister Mode (aka teh scanlines)

Neo via Neobitz component:

1264p44.jpg

2qurr0y.jpg

10yf6mb.jpg

15gx9pc.jpg

Big difference from the DVDO (apart from scanlines) is no more ugly edges and judder. The DVDO was nice and unless you were right in from of the TV, then you could really see some imperfections. Photos don't do it justice.

SNES:

Connected via S-video cable (still waiting for Japanese "SCART" cable)

Hyper fighting baby!

29p9glh.jpg

w8b8lc.jpg

Notes: looks and scrolls much better than DVDO VP20 via RGB Sync. Looked too "grainy" on the VP20 and didn't scroll as smoothly. The quality will only improve when I upgrade to the new cable.

Sega Genesis:

Connected via Japanese SCART (RGB)

28rgwp3.jpg

wgz615.jpg

Winner for the least improved category. DVDO had jailbars and scrolling wasn't as smooth, but pretty dam close.

jonnyturbo

New Challenger
Those pics with the XRGB mini Framemeister (awesome name) look amazing. Been looking at upscaling my junk, found some youtube stuff about the SGL3000 and cheap upscaler combo might be an option for me as I don't have £300+ at the mo to spend on this.
I suppose it just boils down to which I'd prefer crisp picture quality or food.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Definitely a nice alternative for using LCD retro-gaming for sure. I don't have a limit of space in my house so I will always have a place for 4:3 ratio CRTs. Now I have a Toshiba HD CRT 36", Sony FD Trinitron HD 36" and a regular Sony Wega Trinitron SD 27". Seriously, people are giving away these sets nowadays. I only had to buy the Wega 27" back in 2004. If it dies, I can even get my parents Sony Wega 27". Natural scanlines will always have the right look. Even the line doubling scanlines of the Toshiba HD looks right.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Again, congrats on the growing collection Jon!

I just picked up another three games (KOF 96/KOF 97/AOF) today. I was able to score a WEGA 32" with VGA out and all the fixin's.

Here is my setup:

dsc01444ar.jpg

dsc01442v.jpg

dsc01443w.jpg

GAMEFAN

Last edited:

Supernaut_

Banned
Congrats, too bad it came with Riding Hero. Did you notice the input jack on top of it? If any of your neighbors have that game you can link your Neo Geo's together and play 2-player!!

Other than that the game sucks.

On Ebay, there is a guy who sells 1st gen NOS games, common games, for cheap. Start there.

SS2 is a must have, best game for the system and common/cheap.

Get yourself an SCART Lead (One with a headphone jack to get stereo sound) and a YUV converter for a much better picture.

What serial number is it?

jon713

Camel Slug
Again, congrats on the growing collection Jon!

I just picked up another three games (KOF 96/KOF 97/AOF) today. I was able to score a WEGA 32" with VGA out and all the fixin's.

Here is my setup:

dsc01444ar.jpg

dsc01442v.jpg

dsc01443w.jpg

GAMEFAN

That's F'in sweet man, nice ball top replacement, I really don't like that bean style controller because of the half cut top. Great score! I think I'm done with my collection, I was thinking about getting SSII but I have that in my cab.

Congrats, too bad it came with Riding Hero. Did you notice the input jack on top of it? If any of your neighbors have that game you can link your Neo Geo's together and play 2-player!!

Other than that the game sucks.

On Ebay, there is a guy who sells 1st gen NOS games, common games, for cheap. Start there.

SS2 is a must have, best game for the system and common/cheap.

Get yourself an SCART Lead (One with a headphone jack to get stereo sound) and a YUV converter for a much better picture.

What serial number is it?

Yea riding hero does suck but its kinda in mint condition so I'm just keeping it for that reason only. I don't know about the serial I will check when I get home.

Thanks man!

TurboCro

AESwipe,
Update: XRGB Mini Pics using Japan RGB leads. Neo is an AES 3-6 board (under 100k serial with cut traces to remove those nasty vertical lines). TV is a 720P 50" Panasonic Plasma.

Picture is pretty much perfect!

Big thanks to Jeff Kurtz, Xian Xi, Fudoh (from shmups) and Retro Console Accessories for your help.

Without teh scanlines:

k0mew.jpg

6q9u7o.jpg

wir58p.jpg

mrs66v.jpg

With teh scanlines:

v3zx1c.jpg

v6iwlg.jpg

Last edited:

chany60126

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey Thanks man. Dumb question but How do you know if you have a US Vs a Japanese system, before plugging it in and playing it? Hate that I don't see blood when playing SS. I know I can add a bios to it but I just want to keep it original.

US and JPN look virtually identical to each other. As far as I know, the only way to tell them apart without plugging them in is to look at the bottom of the console by the serial number. If you see an FCC compliance sticker, then you have a US system. You can find some more info here.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Between-a-US-AES-System-and-a-JPN-AES-System

Nice AES system BTW!! That is one of mintiest ones I have ever seen, especially for a low serial number like that. It's pretty cool that you found that at a game store. I always get a rush whenever I see Neo Geo games at some of the independent game stores around here. It's like stepping back in time. I am sometimes willing to pay a little more than mkt prices just to help them out. :)

Last edited:

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
I think you made a big mistake. go back to the store and return it for a pc engine. I think collecting for that system will be much more suitable for you. In summation, get your greasy hands off my future ebay neo geo purchases

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You werent joking about this looking tits on a plasma. Very nice setup. No need for a hefty CRT anymore.

J Dubz

n00b
Nice Collection!!! MY favorite are the SamSho series plus my Sengoku 3 and KOF 98!!

WolfHound

Overtop Pathfinder
Update: XRGB Mini Pics using Japan RGB leads. Neo is an AES 3-6 board (under 100k serial with cut traces to remove those nasty vertical lines). TV is a 720P 50" Panasonic Plasma.

Picture is pretty much perfect!

Big thanks to Jeff Kurtz, Xian Xi, Fudoh (from shmups) and Retro Console Accessories for your help.

Without teh scanlines:

k0mew.jpg

6q9u7o.jpg

With teh scanlines:

v3zx1c.jpg

Thats's really awesone picture quality!

Japan RGB lead as in RGB21 jap scart?
How to connect to XRGB mini?
to XRGB mini RGB In?