Finally own an AES

jon713

Camel Slug
Today I decided to gather up a crap load of old games that I had lying around and take them to the local classic game store to trade them in. Bunch of gamecube, ps2, and Xbox, games with a gamecube console.

When I got to the store, I noticed that they still had a neogeo for sale but for $320. It came with one classic controller and Riding Hero. At first I thought it was a bit much, but after they totaled my trade in's they told me that I had $170 in store credit.

So I jumped on it, and asked to let me test it before I purchased it. Let me tell you, this thing is in awesome condition, the previous owner did an awesome job in taking care of it. Once they connected the system it fired up perfectly. So all I paid was $160 for it, plus my trades.

Riding Hero seems to be almost mint, but its Riding Hero.... -_-

Here are some pics:

Serial#024778
315z6dv.jpg

11cfwc8.jpg

ohpl3q.jpg

2lsbf2b.jpg

f4g3o7.jpg

douqza.jpg

Store website:
http://www.player1videogames.com/

I really want to get Fatal Fury Special, so if anyone has a copy to sell send me a PM :)

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Congratulations!

That AES is in really nice shape! But it wasn't boxed, was it?

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
You've done well! It's good to start the Neo Geo with a clean and good condition console!

When I first got an AES - I bought it from a UK company called Telegames and it was in poor condition - totally scratched up, rubbish condition :very_ang:

So rather than being really happy with my first AES - I was pissed :mad:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Congrats on now owning the coolest home console ever made!

jon713

Camel Slug
You've done well! It's good to start the Neo Geo with a clean and good condition console!

When I first got an AES - I bought it from a UK company called Telegames and it was in poor condition - totally scratched up, rubbish condition :very_ang:

So rather than being really happy with my first AES - I was pissed :mad:

I was lucky it was such in good condition, the store had one last year and was selling it for $210, but it wasn't near as nice as this one. One of the guys told me that they just sold a Samurai Shodown 4 or 5 (he wasn't sure) for $550.

Congrats man , the system looks SEXY ;)

That's exactly what I said when he took it out of the display :)

Congrats on now owning the coolest home console ever made!

Life is complete now :D

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Very clean looking system!

Welcome to the world of having a light wallet:mr_t:

jon713

Camel Slug
Very clean looking system!

Welcome to the world of having a light wallet:mr_t:

Yea, I've seen the AES price guide, never clicked on that link until yesterday *_*

So...US or JAP games? Whats it gonna be?

JAP or whatever is cheapest...

Don't need the Ninja Master's, or Metal Slug's thats crazy money!

What would these run me?
FFSP
SS2
KOF96
Burning Fight
BaseBall Stars 2
World Heroes 2

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Congrats on the system purchase! It looks to be in awesome shape! Get that thing modded so you can take advantage of your LCD.

GAMEFAN

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member

Heh. I said the same thing when I rebought an AES a little over a year ago. I told myself I'd just get KOF94, Samurai Shodown, etc. Just a few that I enjoyed back in the day. I now own all of the Slugs on AES except the first one and many other big purchases. This system will grab a hold of you if you're not careful :)

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Congrats man I came really close to buying one 3 or 4 times when I saw them in go in the $150 $180 range but always shied away because of the cart prices. Anyways that's a very nice console and it couldn't have gone to a better member. Enjoy it and have fun collecting.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Awesome pick with the condition and functionality. It took me 3 tries to get a winner. Then I modded it all the way (Component video, stereo, Unibios, LED reset button). You really have to fork over a bit more cash to get the perfect system it seems.

As for games... the price guide I find is a bit inaccurate with a lot of games, due to constant changes in the market. You can get games like the Japanese versions of Real Bout Special for $90 or KOF 96 for $60. I did have to spend a bit to get games like Last Blade 1 and 2, AOF3, SS4 and so on. I really recommend going with Japanese for the more expensive games and you can easily go US with the cheaper games like Nam1975, Cyberlip, etc... My collection is mixed evenly actually over the years.

BTW, I highly recommend Real Bout Special for your first more recent game and Samurai Shodown 2 for your first slightly older and cheaper game. This is a must!!!

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Congrats on the great item and not a load time in sight

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Congrats on the purchase, it's a great feeling to have your first Neo system, and for it to be in perfect shape to boot. Luckily, most of those games are pretty cheap. Fatal Fury Special is probably the best game for the money on the Neo, at least for the Japanese version. There are Japanese places that sell it for as low as $10, although you'd have to pay a bit on shipping for these large cartridges.

I give you fair warning though: The AES is a gateway drug. Before you know it, you'll be looking at getting a consolized MVS or a MVS converter so you can play those games you couldn't possibly afford. It happens to all of us!

Made a AES club banner thingy, feel free to use it if you like :)

Yeah, I'm going to have to steal that.

jon713

Camel Slug
Heh. I said the same thing when I rebought an AES a little over a year ago. I told myself I'd just get KOF94, Samurai Shodown, etc. Just a few that I enjoyed back in the day. I now own all of the Slugs on AES except the first one and many other big purchases. This system will grab a hold of you if you're not careful :)
I will try, but I can see how that would happen.

Congrats man I came really close to buying one 3 or 4 times when I saw them in go in the $150 $180 range but always shied away because of the cart prices. Anyways that's a very nice console and it couldn't have gone to a better member. Enjoy it and have fun collecting.
Hey thanks big, I've always wanted this thing ever since I saw the magazine ads. It's like the Ferrari of game consoles IMO. :D

Awesome pick with the condition and functionality. It took me 3 tries to get a winner. Then I modded it all the way (Component video, stereo, Unibios, LED reset button). You really have to fork over a bit more cash to get the perfect system it seems.

As for games... the price guide I find is a bit inaccurate with a lot of games, due to constant changes in the market. You can get games like the Japanese versions of Real Bout Special for $90 or KOF 96 for $60. I did have to spend a bit to get games like Last Blade 1 and 2, AOF3, SS4 and so on. I really recommend going with Japanese for the more expensive games and you can easily go US with the cheaper games like Nam1975, Cyberlip, etc... My collection is mixed evenly actually over the years.

BTW, I highly recommend Real Bout Special for your first more recent game and Samurai Shodown 2 for your first slightly older and cheaper game. This is a must!!!
Thanks for the info!

Congrats on the great item and not a load time in sight
I hated that in the PS1 and Saturn era, I would always go to this import store in town and rent these games. Hated the loading times, just drained all the fun out of it.

Congrats on the purchase, it's a great feeling to have your first Neo system, and for it to be in perfect shape to boot. Luckily, most of those games are pretty cheap. Fatal Fury Special is probably the best game for the money on the Neo, at least for the Japanese version. There are Japanese places that sell it for as low as $10, although you'd have to pay a bit on shipping for these large cartridges.

I give you fair warning though: The AES is a gateway drug. Before you know it, you'll be looking at getting a consolized MVS or a MVS converter so you can play those games you couldn't possibly afford. It happens to all of us!

Yeah, I'm going to have to steal that.

Yea I know what ya mean, last year when I joined the forum I purchased a converted Neo cab with a 2 slotter in it. Then after I got it, I redid the control panel and upgraded the mobo to a 4 slotter. I already have or had all the games that I've ever wanted through my MVS so this was just the icing on the cake to full fill my neogeo dream of having the AES console.

Good to know that you like the banner! :D

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh, you've got a cab, good! That's pretty much what I did too. I got a AES first, a handfull of games and a Phantom 1 converter like 10 years ago. I sold almost everything, then got a CMVS and rebuilt my MVS collection to larger than ever before, with me now owning 90% of every Neo game I ever want. I just picked up another AES earlier this year, pretty much purely for collection purposes. Most of my home games are cheap crap, but I do have a couple of SS and Fatal Fury games, as well as a couple of conversions (one of which I just made.)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yea, I've seen the AES price guide, never clicked on that link until yesterday *_*

JAP or whatever is cheapest...

What would these run me?
FFSP
SS2
KOF96
Burning Fight
BaseBall Stars 2
World Heroes 2

Baseball Stars 2 is the most "expensive" one on that list, the other are fairly cheap.
jap. FFS: 20-$30 probably

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
That Neo looks amazing the way you have it displayed! Welcome to the family of AES it's an addiction that will keep you going for years to come.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
what kind of video connection are you using for the tv? probably the best you can do on that tv is component. but to get component you either need to mod the AES or use a Euro-wired RGB cable and a SCART->yuv(component) converter. does the tv have a SCART socket?
you should also run the tv in 4:3 mode for the Neo (not 16:9). The picture looks better if it's not stretched.