The King of Fighters XIII Game Play Thread

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Ash is a awesome character, and guile is my strength in st. I highly recommend trying saiki also man, his teleport is great for zoning someone to the corner quick.

wes, try this shit. I use ash myself.

Set up zoning, throw out a kiss midscreen, qcbB, then throw a projectile with WP, or HP. HP is a good mix up for catching full screen early jumpers. Another option after the wp projectile is to do a dash in crouching HP. It tags a reset. You can also dash in super with wk to catch a jump. There are like ten ways or more to use the kiss for zoning and baiting, shits amazing.

Two anti air's. sissy boy flashkick or cFP.

BNB to use, cWK x 3, super or HK sissy boy flash kick.. Get the timing down for the super, but I'd recommend saving the meter and going for HK sissy boy flash kick.

A good block string is, jHK, sHP, wp sissy boy projectile, far sHP another sissy boy projectile, and if they jump in, super or sissy boy flash kick.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yeah, that kiss shit is awesome. The guy is such a great zoner. If I hit confirm a string of low attacks, I usually want to go for an ex charge so I can juggle a flash kick off of it, or reset them for a mixup (I like to use his Neo Max after a reset - they're almost never expecting it). I also like to use his b+lk during a block string to move forward, kind of like Guile's standing HK.

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
Set up zoning, throw out a kiss midscreen, qcbB, then throw a projectile with WP, or HP. HP is a good mix up for catching full screen early jumpers. Another option after the wp projectile is to do a dash in crouching HP. It tags a reset. You can also dash in super with wk to catch a jump. There are like ten ways or more to use the kiss for zoning and baiting, shits amazing.

Two anti air's. sissy boy flashkick or cFP.

I was nearly OCV'd by a good Japanese player online, who was using those exact tactics. I've been learning to use Ash ever since that match. lol

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Just spent 2 hours on Athena's trial 9, and 45 minutes on trial 10 ...... FFFFFFFFFFFUCK

there is a part where you need to do a dp LP --> hcb x2 LP, this is how I did:

hcb d//f + LP --> qcb LP

Even then, the DM has to be the airial version, and depending on your timing, it may or may not connect.

FUCK, those were 2 of the shittiest trials, along with Mature's trail 9, and Leona's trial 7.

I've also checked Raiden's trial 9 and 10. They require you to start holding LK then HK in the middle of the fucking combo, then use them for drop kicks.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
As I decided I wont get the ten ranked wins in a row unless by disconnecting, that means I wont ever get all the trophies and thus I am not even bothering with those trials as dont need the hard work, especially as I have no patience.
I applaud anyone who does complete them though.......did the time trial and survival and currently have 38 of the trophies, but the other trials take too much time.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
As I decided I wont get the ten ranked wins in a row unless by disconnecting, that means I wont ever get all the trophies and thus I am not even bothering with those trials as dont need the hard work, especially as I have no patience.
I applaud anyone who does complete them though.......did the time trial and survival and currently have 38 of the trophies, but the other trials take too much time.

You only need to complete 200 trials to get the trophy. That's roughly 6 trial per character. For the most part, it's a worthy learning process (especially the first 5 trials), but sheesh, those exceptions will break your spirit lol.

I'm also keeping the online trophies on hold until I get a better connection and they patch the game.

TurboCro

AESwipe,
Saw this on SRK. I'm too old to try something like this, but anyone see someone use these in real life?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I've complied a list of tips for some characters. Please note the the following:

1) I tried as much as I can to avoid listing a "best combo" for the characters. I simply try to mention the possibilities, and it's up to you to decide how to define your optimum combos

2) These tips are merely based on my experimenting in practice mode. They could be flawed, and I'm sure some of them are.

Takuma:

qcf HK can be followed up with crouching LP - Very strict timing

Has the best EX fireball. 120 Damage + instant reach

Ryo:

He can now cancel his f LP with a Super Special Moves, but not Special Moves

Standing HK -> qcf HP is very effective for mid range encounters

When near wall, qcf LP can be followed up with a dragon punch, which can then be cancelled with a hcb HK -> dragon punch (390 damage w/o jump HK)

Joe:

qcb HK is safe if blocked, making it the best move to use for bnb's (edit: I was told this was false. Gonna test later and confirm)

Joe's combos may be weak, but you can use his Bakuretsuken (press P repeatedly) afterwards for additional extra chip damage. If done near the wall, the chip damage from this trick alone would amount to 90!

You will still be vulnerable to command grabs and dragon punches with the trick mentioned above, so beware.

His slide attack is effective in mid range

Benimaru:

hcb f LP+HP (EX command grab) -> qcb x2 P ... very effective and often unexpected (290 damage, 2 power stocks required)

If you have 1 power stock only, you can use his Hando Sandan Geri after the EX command grab (220 damage)

This is probably obvious, but use his qcb x2 P Super Special as anti-air often. It comes instantly and does high damage, which makes it very punishing

the EX version of his qcb P will land on the enemy wherever he stands

You can pause briefly after his qcf K to hit confirm before following it up. It will still connect if it hits the enemy

Ralf:

qcf HP can be followed up with crouching C - slightly strict timing

If it doesn't hit the enemy, qcb P has an unexpectedly instant recovery. You can repeat it again, or follow it up with any surprising attack if the enemy attempts to attack you.

EX qcf P has auto-guard, making it great for countering situations.

EX qcf P also stuns the enemy. You may want to learn how to follow up it. I used back forward HP -> qcf x2 P for a whopping 400 damage (note: you need to briefly hold the P button to pause before landing it on the enemy)

Back forward HP -> qcb hcf K ... comes out instantly + killer attack priority + massive damage = win .... however, it's unsafe if blocked lol

It's not 100% safe, but his aerial qcf P still has a pretty darn quick recovery compared to similar aerial moves

Doulon:

qcf P x 3 can be followed up with qcf LK --> HP (slightly strict timing)

qcf P x 3 --> qcf LK --> qcb hcf LP+HP connects nicely. Please note that unless you are near wall, Doulon will end up on the opposite side after the qcf LK, so you need to do the Super Special in reverse. A bit tricky, but can be easily practiced.

His crouching LP is extremely fast and has a high priority. It can be followed up with the qcf P x3 combos mentioned above

f LK lands on the enemy wherever he stands. Use it effectively.

Doulon is all about setups, and he's fast and deadly. I will list some of his tricky setups later

Kensou:

He's strictly a fireball-based character. His fireballs are fast with quick recovery, and he has a great anti-air special.

He can cancel his LK+HK backflip with a fireball. Very effective to keep your desired fireball distance.

crouching HK can also be cancelled with the LK+HK backflip --> Fireball

press P repeatedly after his dp P move to add more hits. However, keep pressing for too long and Kensou will get exhausted, making him vulnerable for any combos

Also, if you do the same thing, but keep pressing for the right amount of time (just before his exhaustion point), he will land a very nice finishing move, which can be cancelled into his qcb x P super

Yuri:

Make her crouching LK --> crouching LK --> standing LK --> dragon punch your default bnb combo. It hits low, gives you enough time to hit confirm, the timing is made easier for her in this KOF, and the 3 LK's do more damage than the standing HP

Her dp K jump has many uses for set ups. One of the cool uses I learned is if the above combo was blocked, replace the dp HP with a dp HK, then time your kick to land a cross aerial attack from behind and repeat the combo. It's fast and very tricky to block.

Her hcb HK is also very useful for setups, since it's extremely fast and very damaging

Her qcf HK is very effective for mid range encounters. However, it makes her vulnerable to some Super Specials (example: Haoh Shoukouken), so beware.

qcb LP is very effective against hops.

Kim:

You can either use his HP -> ff LP ..... OR .... crouching LK --> crouching LK --> standing LK --> ff LP for his bnb's

I would go for the second combo for the same reasons I mentioned in Yuri's combo, although in Kim's case, both versions are safe

ff LP won't connect on crouching blocking enemy, but it will if it hits, or if the enemy was standing

ff LP can be followed up with any of his aerial attacks, including the super special

If you hit the enemy with an ff LP combo near the wall, try following it up with the EX qcb K. It opens you many possibilities for follow ups. I personally use the down / up HK flip kick, and cancel it with a super special or another EX qcb K to extend the combo even further

qcf x2 HK has the same uses as a dragon punch (anti air, stand up counter .. etc) Learn how to use it effectively, and how to follow it up. You can even enter MAX mode and do the Neo Max if you want to.

Iori:

Iori has so many combo variations. I personally use standing HP --> forward LP --> qcb HP --> crouching D (slightly strict timing)

his qcb HP can also be followed up with a Super Special if you are near the wall, or by the EX Super Special from anywhere in the screen (no cancel bar required in both cases)

His overhead down/forward HP attack has a similar starting animation to his close LK, which hits low. Add his hcf P garb into the mix, and you can end up with killer mix ups with him

his close LK can be followed up with forward LP --> forward LP --> qcb HP

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Saw this on SRK. I'm too old to try something like this, but anyone see someone use these in real life?

hitboxes are retardedly good, I almost think they should be banned, the shit you can do with them is inhuman, it really changes the whole game up. you would be amazed how much extra time joystick inputs add, it's hugely significant, when you can do 2 frame fireballs and shit in street fighter IV it's ridiculous, it looks like you are playing a different game.

logically theese things should either be banned, or everyone should get one. Since I am a arcade guy I hate to see things move away from joysticks, pads are fine as they have simillar weaknesses as sticks.

maybe I am just a old man, but yeah I tried one and played a dood who used one... thankfully he sucked, but it was still weird fighting a scrub who could reversal punish so fast and throw fireballs so fast.... the only way I could beat him is baiting him into mistakes.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

They've ruined it all... It all started with insertion marks, I already have teh roms, counterfeit, full kits, shockboxes, suction cups and now this, I'm going to retire on a moutain somewhere with my remembrance of what arcade really was, fuck this world :(

Last edited:

Pat505

War Room Troll
I thought all arcades looked like this.
kb_drawer.jpg

The noobs use the sticks and the pros use the keyboards.

Even joking it hurt a little inside.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I thought all arcades looked like this.
kb_drawer.jpg

The noobs use the sticks and the pros use the keyboards.

Even joking it hurt a little inside.

I'd probably rather use a keyboard than a X-arcade

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Kensou:

He can connect his standing LK with standing HP, and then follow it up with another LK or crouching LK. The timing is slightly strict, but it's definitely worth learning. Here is what I could do with it:

LK --> HP --> crouching LK --> qcf P x2 --> [cancel] back dp LK+HK

Worth about 400 damage if you add a jump kick in the beginning. It's worth mentioning that his EX DP does 255 damage on its own. That's more than most Super Specials' damage.

Also, the standing LK --> HP gives you some time to hit confirm, in case you wanna start HD combos.

All credits go to HellSap from the Atlus forums for these tips.

joe_higashi19

Life is an Illusion, The Magic is Down My Pants.,
Is it just me or did they really town down my favorite character joe higashi and sup up hwa ja or whatever his name is. I have practiced to the bone but no matter how hard i try i kick more butt with him than i can joe with little effort i am so depressed about this. Can anyone help me be a better joe player? Also if any of you wanna help me get a decent online game going that would be gret no matter what tinkering i do with the settings i get major lag every match thus i have lost 13 matches to 0 wins in ranked an 1 win an 6 losses on player match an the win was a luck only. I know i am better than this guys come on.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
crouching LK --> crouching LK --> LK+HP will automatically throw an HP at the end. Especially useful for characters who otherwise don't have an easy way to hit-confirm before entering HD mode mid-combo.

I personally find this very useful for Kim.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I prefer the Rising Tackle by a long shot. Did he ever have both of them in one moveset?

In Kof he has both moves in '02 for sure.

Has both in SVC and RB2 and RBS.

Only time I use Power Dunk is in combos or to punish projectile spammers, who are easy to read. I have difficulty combo-ing into a rising tackle, aside from a crouching HP.

Last edited:

Desmond Delaghetto

How on earth do you say "Katraqueyous", anyway?
Hey fellas, I'm a part of the admin team at dreamcancel.com. I've been coming to this site and forum since 2001 or so, and I live in Minnesota. It's good to see people here interested in playing KOFXIII. I've bet a few of you guys have seen this already, but I created a video showing all the best moments from 2012 from various KOFXIII tournaments that year. I hope you enjoy it.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Hey fellas, I'm a part of the admin team at dreamcancel.com. I've been coming to this site and forum since 2001 or so, and I live in Minnesota. It's good to see people here interested in playing KOFXIII. I've bet a few of you guys have seen this already, but I created a video showing all the best moments from 2012 from various KOFXIII tournaments that year. I hope you enjoy it.

i have seen that before i really hope that KOF gets more popular as it beats the shit out of SSF4