Fighting game backgrounds, animated

snk`

Kula's Candy
Seeing that you guys posted many decent ones, wouldn't want to repost the same ones but here are some that I personally liked from NGBC:

1000px-Ngbcantenna1bg.gif

1000px-Ngbccastle1bg.gif

I wish they drew Jubei as good as Eiji in this one.

1000px-Ngbckotm1bg.gif

1000px-Ngbckotm2bg.gif

1000px-Ngbclastresort1bg.gif

1000px-Ngbclastresort2bg.gif

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
NGBC has amazing backgrounds. Completely underrated game.

post-594-1159580315.jpg

KOF Neowave Clock Tower, sucky pic but it's all I could find.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
oh dear god, I love the museum pics from ngbc, absolutely gorgeous! thx for posting those!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Oh memories. I loved playing that game in the arcades. I miss playing and having a long line of people trying to beat you. Then of course you lose to the fucking 8 year old kid with tape on his glasses that just keeps button mashing.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Oh memories. I loved playing that game in the arcades. I miss playing and having a long line of people trying to beat you. Then of course you lose to the fucking 8 year old kid with tape on his glasses that just keeps button mashing.

I'd be lying if I said that's never happened to me, thinking yer on a roll, and then in comes the 5th grade button masher:mad_2:

00-X

n00b
I also love this stage....reminds me a lot of Renegade:

688.png
What's this one from? Whoever designed it must've been a Toyota fan. Left to right: Toyota Corolla/Trueno (1983-86), Toyota Crown (1979-82), Toyota Chaser (1989-92), and Toyota Supra MkIII (1986-92). On the middle two, the big bumpers, long exhaust pipes, and random bolted-on parts also typify the bosozoku (motorcycle / car gang) style in Japan. Love the F40 in Robert's stage too :)

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Thanks for all of these! Amazing!

It's funny....in spite of all that technical progress, hand drawn HD backgrounds and really gorgeous graphics in general, in find these Neo Geo stages more impressive than the ones from "BlazBlue" and the other modern fighters. Those look great, don't get me wrong.....but still. KOF94 and 95 are magical, as are many others from that time.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
What's this one from? Whoever designed it must've been a Toyota fan. Left to right: Toyota Corolla/Trueno (1983-86), Toyota Crown (1979-82), Toyota Chaser (1989-92), and Toyota Supra MkIII (1986-92). On the middle two, the big bumpers, long exhaust pipes, and random bolted-on parts also typify the bosozoku (motorcycle / car gang) style in Japan. Love the F40 in Robert's stage too :)

Haha, nice info! This is Goh's stage from Aggressors of Dark Kombat (Gan Gan).

Ganelon

n00b
Ever since I first played the original Marvel vs. Capcom back in 1998, I've always been fascinated by this background (images from the Fight-A-Base and Slateman sites):

341.png

mvc-stage5a.gif

The setting looks like the ultimate sci-fi terrorist organization's lair complete with a mysterious boss, flashing holograms of major agents, scientists, and countless minions. MVC's other backgrounds are clear references to particular Marvel and Capcom lore: E.Honda's bathhouse from Street Fighter, a Zabel Zarock concert from Vampire, St. Petersburg from Strider Hiryu, Dr. Wily's lab from Rockman, a command center from Avengers, the Daily Bugle from Spider-Man, the blue area of the moon from Fantastic Four.

But from what I've been able to determine, this particular background is far removed from the origins of its inspiration. The only conceivable reference available is to Capcom's Lost Worlds (much more well known in the US as Forgotten Worlds). The 2 giants depicted, Raijin and Fujin, are bosses from this game (and clearly inspired by Hokuto no Ken's Raiga and Fuga). The shadowy villain is almost certainly Bios, the primary antagonist in Lost Worlds.

However, nobody seems to know where all the other unique characters in the background are from. There has been speculation that the hologram characters represent the bosses from Lost Worlds but the numbers don't exactly add up—7 bosses to 9 characters. However, if we assume that Raijin and Fujin are supposed to be mecha each piloted by a character, then the numbers would actually fit. Given that one of the hologram pictures looks like Cleopatra, she would explain one of the mysterious quotes from the game: "Darn it! My date with Cleopatra is spoiled!" And one of the hologram pictures looks like a pharaoh, which would be match for the Tut boss from Lost Worlds (http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/capcom/fw_bosses.html).

But then who are the 5 characters atop the pillars? They certainly aren't the 2 playable Unknown Soldiers. And they don't appear to look the same as any of the hologram characters. Nobody has a credible idea. Ultimately, this background is still full of mysteries. Is there a Japan-only novel or manga that fleshes out Lost Worlds's setting and explains some of these elements? If so, even their MVC fans don't seem to have the answers. Or was this background a new idea by MVC designers to reinterpret the Lost Worlds universe? If so, nobody seems to have their concept notes. If anybody here knows, please do tell.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Ever since I first played the original Marvel vs. Capcom back in 1998, I've always been fascinated by this background (images from the Fight-A-Base and Slateman sites):

341.png

mvc-stage5a.gif

I haven't seen this one in a long time, thx for posting. This is an absolutely gorgeous stage, and I also wasn't aware of the connection to forgotten worlds. This was the pinnacle of cps2 stage art imo, I wish MvC stayed full 2D, but I realize that's not waht the masses would want. I've seen people say the carnival stage in MvC2 is their favorite background, and I have wanted to punch those people in the throat:vik:

trunxkam45

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Reminds me of Giant Robo. I never actually looked into what that stage was about since I figured it was based on something from Marvel. Mysterious....

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I ALWAYS LOVED...
Akuma's entrance onto this stage:

sf3si-akuma.png

Also...

sf3si-ken.png

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Somebody put up some Pocket Fighter stages. Those were the best.

EDIT - An animated one with Demitri sliding on his belly across the whole stage would be great

Last edited: