Fighting game backgrounds, animated

BoogerBall

n00b
It's been a while but I don't think I've seen this one posted yet:

gowcaizr000_Sal.gif

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Love these but when comparing capcom to snk I just find the snk stages much nicer to look at with better detail. Does anybody prefer the capcom backgrounds and if so why? I just find them Looking washed out.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Love these but when comparing capcom to snk I just find the snk stages much nicer to look at with better detail. Does anybody prefer the capcom backgrounds and if so why? I just find them Looking washed out.

i completely agree. besides alpha 2 which has some of my favourite backgrounds ever, i always fancied snk's backgrounds to capcom's. the king of fighters series alone has some amazing backgrounds.

BoogerBall

n00b

These are the neo-geo forums so I am sure I will be in the minority on this but while I think that Capcom and SNK were neck and neck skill wise, I have to say I slightly prefer Capcom's work, many of my favorite stages are Capcom stages. As to why? Well, for me it simply a matter of style. I like the style of Capcom's pixel art a little better, it's a bit more cartoony and colorful, but it's also distinct and charming. Capcom's use of dramatic perspectives/angles and their great use of colors just appeal to me strongly. Also, I think that Capcom put just as much detail into their backgrounds as SNK. You can look back over this very thread to see what I am talking about but here are some more:

Interestingly, there was a similar discussion on some other forums about this and I will quote what someone had posted in reply to this very subject in defense of Capcom:

"Plus, while i do generally find SNK's "concepts" for backgrounds more interesting, i like Capcom's execution and pixelart much better.

There is a difference; a lot of what Capcom artists achieved was basically optical illusions, using colors in a way that pixels would look smaller than what they actually were, or simply "hinting" at sub pixel details that you'd see but were not actually there.
They paid a lot of attention to aesthetics, avoided using black or too much contrast to hide jaggies or pixelated look.
Capcom artists were faking a higher resolution, sometimes wasting one of the few colors available for sprites only to do some sort of manual anti-alias and make things appear smoother.
Their pixel technique is unmatched, and their games all had a very unique look.

SNK's execution on the contrary is very straightforward.
They were not shy of using black or high contrast, didn't rely on subtlety and in the arcades, their backgrounds appeared very pixelated and rougher, which made them a lot less attractive than these small gifs."

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi Boogerball

I can understand what you are saying completely. However for me I don't like the weird warping of perspective and the overuse of pastel shades. I just prefer the high contrast, high detail, high colour of SNK backgrounds.

I agree its a matter of opinion though and it's interesting to hear different viewpoints :)

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Loving those Alpha 2 BGs. The Alpha games' backgrounds were weird - you went from utterly dull in Alpha 1, to the best ever on CPS-2 in Alpha 2, to nicely detailed but devoid of life backgrounds in Alpha 3. The exact same thing happened with Samurai Shodown series. IMO, Samurai 2 backgrounds are SNK at their absolute peak - absolutely stunning.

Hadesillo

n00b
There was a lot of backgrounds that were not ripped on the net, so I did some of them

FFWA Terry Bogard
ffwa_terry.gif

Guilty Gear X Paris
ggx_2.gif

Some from Alpha 3 Naomi edition (hard work, had to mess a lot with artmoney)
sfz3_27.gif

sfz3_26.gif

sfz3_13.gif

sfz3_28.gif

Also did some SF3
sf3_1.gif

And a lot of other stages from Alpha 2 and 3, Street Fighter 2 and the two first fatal Fury I have been uploading to the wikis.

I've been doing this work bcause I have been trying to categorize all the ripped stages on the net in a webpage, and also because it is fun :D

Last edited:

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member

This looks great. Where's it from? Google Image Search failed me. :-/

There was a lot of backgrounds that were not ripped on the net, so I did some of them

Some from Alpha 3 Naomi edition

Huh? Naomi Edition? Did that have different stages then, say, the Saturn port? Those look gorgeous, though! Especially the first one. :drool_2:

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I think that's from Gowcaizer on the Neo.

Ohhhhh, sweet! And no wonder I don't recognize it, "Gowcaizer" is one of the few fighters I am still missing. Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to get it this year. My anticipation is way higher now, anyway. ^^

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This used to be such a great thread but now most of the links are dead. Such a shame.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Some from Alpha 3 Naomi edition (hard work, had to mess a lot with artmoney)
sfz3_27.gif

Sorry to be asking once more, but I still don't understand where this background is from. SF:A3 ....Naomi Edition? So this one is NOT in the Saturn version, I take it? Is it on Dreamcast then? Or really Arcade only?
I need this in my life! :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sorry to be asking once more, but I still don't understand where this background is from. SF:A3 ....Naomi Edition? So this one is NOT in the Saturn version, I take it? Is it on Dreamcast then? Or really Arcade only?
I need this in my life! :)

Its not in the Saturn version as it's a cps2 port and hence not in the cps2 version either. This is Dreamcast/Naomi ... don't know about the PSP version though.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Its not in the Saturn version as it's a cps2 port and hence not in the cps2 version either. This is Dreamcast/Naomi ... don't know about the PSP version though.

PSP version has it as well as the extra characters and stuff from the GBA version.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member

Okay, thank you for the clarification! :)

Does the DC version have lots of new/ different stages? I got the Saturn one, so would it be worth it to get DC as well, just for the backgrounds?

Hadesillo

n00b
Okay, thank you for the clarification! :)

Does the DC version have lots of new/ different stages? I got the Saturn one, so would it be worth it to get DC as well, just for the backgrounds?

No a lot, just for new characters in Dreamcast/Naomi and Karin, that didn't have one on CPS2 version.
That's stages for Karin, Balrog, DeeJay, Guile, FeiLong and T.Hawk.
I never tried, but I think double upper didn't add any new stage. Just copypasted characters (Eagle, Maki, Ingrid, Yun)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Huh... I'm going to have to plop in my DC version of Zero 3. I don't remember this stage at all.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Huh... I'm going to have to plop in my DC version of Zero 3. I don't remember this stage at all.

i was thinking that my self. i think it was mentioned that it's only in some of the versions or something. i personally never came across it.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
i was thinking that my self. i think it was mentioned that it's only in some of the versions or something. i personally never came across it.

Wait what...? Okay, now THIS is getting interesting. Imagine there were really two Dreamcast editions of the game, one with additional stages and one without. That would be quite unique, wouldn't it?
And how the hell would I know which version to buy? :lolz: (because six additional stages sound quite good to me)

And now I am wondering what version of SFA3 will be in this upcoming collection...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's Dee Jay's stage so as long as he's in it you should see this level.