FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Happy New Year:)
z2-sodom_zps1a327d54.gif

NICE!!

TSOLfan

New Challenger
Does anyone know what tools SNK used to develop the artwork? Browsing the developer documentation, it simply refers to an "Art Box" unit with an external hard drive. I would assume it was some custom graphics software (or maybe not).

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Does anyone know what tools SNK used to develop the artwork? Browsing the developer documentation, it simply refers to an "Art Box" unit with an external hard drive. I would assume it was some custom graphics software (or maybe not).

honestly, I haven't the slightest idea:(

Welcome to the forums, glad you found your way in here:)

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I'm blown away by some of these, really incredible. Made my workday 1000 times more enjoyable. Would love to grab a zip of all the SNK backgrounds.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Ive been on a kof hitch again lately, been going back through the years, playin back to back through them like i used to years ago.. makes the differences in the kof years stand out that much more to me...
Playin through 95 again I remember I like that elevator level a lot..
sorry for crappy un-animated version below..
95_zpsa5a61e81.jpg

I love how you are 'boxed' in at first till you get to the top..

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Playin through 95 again I remember I like that elevator level a lot...sorry for crappy un-animated version below...
95_zpsa5a61e81.jpg
No worries, that's easily remedied.

euowid.gif

I love how you are 'boxed' in at first till you get to the top..
Agreed. You really had to fight carefully or you'd run out of room and get cornered really fast.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Does anyone know what tools SNK used to develop the artwork?

I have no official idea. But at the time, Deluxe Paint was the de facto standard. I wouldn't be surprised at all if DP was what SNK used.

Towards the mid to late nineties, Pro Motion was also very popular.

But regardless, the bottom line is art like this is almost always made in pixel editors. It just takes (a lot) of talent. People still make it to this day, like over at Pixel Joint

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

The characters on the floor and wall is not Chinese, but the pillar on the right reads, "Way of the tiger (or tiger-style) something something high heaven."
Same deal on the left except change tiger with dragon.

edit: right pillar could be 「虎法倫拳舉高天」 which could mean something like, "Tiger-style fist raises the sky high", or "Tiger-style fist raises high heaven". Eh, literal translation is not the best...
On the left pillar, it looks like 龍法倫拳舉高天, where it's just tiger exchanged with dragon.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The characters on the floor and wall is not Chinese, but the pillar on the right reads, "Way of the tiger (or tiger-style) something something high heaven."
Same deal on the left except change tiger with dragon.

This is my favorite stage, my favorite BGM, my favorite KOF, my favorite member!!! All in one post...tremendous!

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Since ol' Sage made the thread in Unrelated about the lazy shout-out Kotaku gave to you guys for this thread, I wondered if he might want to tweak his sig a little bit:

qn009z.gif

Last edited:

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Wow, thank you all for posting these! Amazing... and one of the reasons that even now, as a grown man, I cannot give up owning a Neo. It is art and I tell all my other 'adult' friends who snicker at me owning an expensive old console and games :) True art... something that isn't often recreated anymore because 3D computer generated stuff just isn't the same. These gifs really made my day yesterday! Thanks a lot!

How about Fatal Fury Special... there is some awesome backgrounds in there as well. Andy's Italy one springs to mind just now.

Old school SNK forever !

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Since ol' Sage made the thread in Unrelated about the lazy shout-out Kotaku gave to you guys for this thread, I wondered if he might want to tweak his sig a little bit:

qn009z.gif

pocket fighter is adorable

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm blown away by some of these, really incredible. Made my workday 1000 times more enjoyable.

yup... spend quite some time the last few days clicking through this thread and adoring these instead of doing what i should've been ;) i'm just lucky to have a part time job where no one really notices, unless you fuck up really bad.

Last edited: