Fighting game backgrounds, animated

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
My all-time favorite stage (no contest, really):

95_neo_geo_land_2.png

Stupid question but grateful to anyone who knows: is that what the real NEO GEO LAND looked like? A faithful recreation?

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Stupid question but grateful to anyone who knows: is that what the real NEO GEO LAND looked like? A faithful recreation?

From the pictures I've seen, the building is at least somewhat accurate; the large sign in the '95 KOF stage isn't qutie right, but the the red beams and street position are pretty close. In terms of angles, there's a shortage pictures online.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ha ha ha ha ha!

The greatest stage ever is the Art of Fighting stage in KOF '95.

Everything else lives beneath it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Awesome! One of the best parts about it is the intro with the elevator. I remember one of the Gamefan or Tips and Tricks mags had a spread sheet with that whole stage from top to bottom, I remember being so excited about it when I was a kid...good times.

KOF '95 the classiest KOF ever? You bet your life it is!

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Awesome! One of the best parts about it is the intro with the elevator. I remember one of the Gamefan or Tips and Tricks mags had a spread sheet with that whole stage from top to bottom, I remember being so excited about it when I was a kid...good times.

KOF '95 the classiest KOF ever? You bet your life it is!

When you think about it, the stage is really well thought out; any of the KOF team would've picked the stage as their venue because it would guarantee a fight that had to be fought at mid-to-close range. The music helps add to the seriousness of the cramped surroundings too. It’s one of those stages in which I never felt the aesthetics precluded it from being a great stage. I mean, it’s still well animated, but it’s the gimmick that sets it apart.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
On another forum I go to, a cool ass dude by the name of Broco came up with a way to use fighting game backgrounds as backgrounds for your Android phone.

I thought some of you might appreciate this:

Broco said:
All you folks with Android phones, do this right away:

1. Download this zip file of fighting game backgrounds as animated gifs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rekd18xe8r3x691/Fighting game animated backgrounds.zip . Then unzip it on a directory on your phone's SD card.

2. Download this Android app for displaying animated gifs as live wallpaper: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.direxar.animgiflivewallpaper2&hl=en . You can get the free one if you want, the watermark is pretty out-of-the-way.

3. Now you can put your favorite ones, or all of them, on random rotation. The size is exactly appropriate for the five Android homescreens.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
On another forum I go to, a cool ass dude by the name of Broco came up with a way to use fighting game backgrounds as backgrounds for your Android phone.

I thought some of you might appreciate this:

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Got any stages animated from kof03 ,My favourite stage the seaside...

trunxkam45

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Personally I prefer the FF variant:
Kof96fatalbg.gif

Because of the fat guy chewing.

And the Hero team stage from 96 as well:
Kof96herobg.gif

Mainly because of that obnoxious guy in the middle.. I couldn't rank the games by their stages but there are different "themes" to each game. 96 seems to have the most charm.

I mean take a look at Chizuru's stage:

Kof96chizurubg.gif

94-96 have some incredibly detailed environments and crowds that just pop.

97 tried with more original locales like amusement parks, raceways, etc. (seems like later on they tried to create better versions of these levels imo) but it seemed kinda flat.

I liked that 98 had some levels with crowds, in the middle of traffic...
Kof98japanstreetbg.gif

While some just included a lone spectator, like a cat licking its balls(nice fountain btw):
Kof98spainbg.gif

99 and 00 had nicely crisp backgrounds; some of the best details and animations I've seen in a 2d game.
Kof2kaquariumbg.gif

The aquarium one is definitely one of the cooler ones, and looks like a much better version of the amusement park in '97.

2001 and 2002 had some really boring ones:
Kof2k1brazilbg.gif

My least favorite kof stage hands down.

kof2k2-s7.jpg

Sheep stage sucked and a lot of the others had lame cameos.

03 was kinda meh but this was my favorite:
kof2k3-china2.png

They all trump any stage from any street fighter though.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
this thread is absolutely gorgeous, thx for the posts guys, feels like a fine art gallery in here.:)

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
thanks, all definitely looks the business kof03 for me has excellent stages,well I better mention bb2 and mothw.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
REALLY ENJOYED...
looking back through this thread, so I thought it was time to 'scavenge' some more background goodness. Here's a few logs to throw on to keep the home fire burning ;)

e75zl.gif

Garougato1bg.gif

lsJ8C.gif

svc-castle.gif

6gDzf.gif

AS A BONUS...
A Capcom stage I have always loved:

MarvelSuperHeroesVsStreetFighter-Manhattan.png

(not animated though :( )

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Freaking awesome man :-J dude we need more.keep the fire burning..sing it if you have to keep the fire burning......:_ang:

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Correct me if I wrong anyone but i don't think I've seen a background stage showing a football stadium.Imagine fighting in front of Allianz Arena..

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
That Capcom stage from the versus series is tiiiiight. Love it. Love how they pulled off that comic book look to it.

This thread is awesome, I've saved all the pics from it :)

megageoff76

Crazed MVS Addict
Yes, great thread. This inspired me to pick up my first KOF('95) title, which should arrive in the next day or so :)

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
I cant find the background for Italy in KOF 94.

Only this

kof-94-2.jpg

Together with Napolitan blues OST is just perfect, considering this was the beginning of KOF.
Rockets firing, the encouragment voices.
And that bass really trembles. It also reminds me some tracks of Streets of Rage.
This is perfect.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Love all the backgrounds. Keep it up everyone!

GAMEFAN

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Please don't let this thread die. I would even say it warrants a sticky. Such beautiful backgrounds brings tears to my eyes remembering the SNK I grew up with.

The capcom back drops are nice also.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I agree with MM, let's see some more please if you have them. I currently have the Garou waterfall stage as my animated phone background thanks to Sage.