Fighting game backgrounds, animated

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Of course it would if it had Bluegrass playing his guitar with the notes shooting out.

Bluegrass was pretty awesome because he fought his adversaries with the power of his music :)

He definitely would add something to a SilverHawks stage background.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
THE ART OF FIGHTING 2
Aof2airportbglite.gif

Aof2chinatownbg.gif

Aof2crawleysairfieldbglite.gif

Aof2fitnessclubbg.gif

Aof2macsbarbglite.gif

Aof2southtownparkbglite.gif

Aof2thegarciahousebg.gif

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Man, these stages are so pimp. Artistry is such an interesting thing in classic games. Especially for classic arcade games since there was fewer graphical limitations.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Never noticed 2 coats hanging on Robert's stage.

Yeah, same. The jacket hanging on the second floor is completely unnecessary and doesn't fit at all. Shoulda just left one on Rob's car and been done with it. I like to imagine SNK staff talking about that :)

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Yeah, same. The jacket hanging on the second floor is completely unnecessary and doesn't fit at all. Shoulda just left one on Rob's car and been done with it. I like to imagine SNK staff talking about that :)

Yeah, it doesn't help the jacket is the same size as a window :D

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Genjuro's early stages were always well done. The progression of the children in III realizing the magnitude of what they were seeing, coupled with the mother taking them to safety was just great.

Ss2genjurobg.gif

Ss3genjuro3bg.gif

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Need to throw in some KOF95 love for this thread,btw this one i used for a time as a sig.
kof95stage08.gif

Any body have one for fatal fury 2 ? By that i mean mai stage ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Fucking amazing. The power of the Neo, you're so into the game that you really don't see how much detail went into the backgrounds.

I wanna see a quick comparison of Capcom's best BG vs. SNK's best BG.

I know Capcom's BGs are no where near what SNKs were.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
nice thread!! Never noticed it until now, but itreally a pleasure to see al those great bg :)
Have Matrimelee backgrounds been ripped off? It's been a while that I haven't played the game, but if I remember correctly some of them where quite crazy (or maybe was just the BGM that made them look better).

hitorkori

Cheng's Errand Boy
Those art of fighting 2 stages make want to play it now !
i think i will tonight but cant decide aes/mvs/cd !

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I always thought the Alien in the cauldron was a pretty interesting touch in Genan's stage in SS-II. I tell ya', the Shiranui clan has some pretty discerning taste.

Ss2genanbg.gif

ISODee

Armored Scrum Object
Im not sure was it Terry´s stage in FF3 where there was monkey jumping. I think thats most awesome background. Its always hard stage for me because im just keep watching that monkey.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Fucking amazing. The power of the Neo, you're so into the game that you really don't see how much detail went into the backgrounds.

I wanna see a quick comparison of Capcom's best BG vs. SNK's best BG.

I know Capcom's BGs are no where near what SNKs were.

I always felt that – for their time – Apha/Zero 2 and 3 were demonstrative of Capcom’s best work, in terms of stage art. SF-3 has some winners as well.
I honestly think that SNK has outdone pretty much every other developer in the background department, not just in the technical aspect of it all, but in the fact that SNK’s stage backgrounds have more character put into the art itself. It makes sense when you think about it, though; SNK was first and foremost an arcade game manufacturer, which requires great presentation. Even some of their games which have aged poorly in terms of gameplay still look like a million bucks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wish I could find a gif of Hon Fu's stage from FF3. That made my jaw drop the first time I saw it. And the second. MAYBE the third.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
great thread - has reminded me of detailed artistic nature of SNK game development and more importantly; makes me want to play these games again asap!

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Wish I could find a gif of Hon Fu's stage from FF3. That made my jaw drop the first time I saw it. And the second. MAYBE the third.

That'd be one loooooong gif, man. I know what you're saying, though; it's a great stage.

This isn't a gif, but it's at least nine minutes or so of material worth gawking at: