LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
just look at Gen's stage

why do video game developers always make China look like a shithole

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
how about Samurai shodown double redlife backgrounds?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
no K' is still an emo fagg

first time I pressed back on the d-pad and saw his walking away animation i laughed out loud.

SO ANGSTY

NEEDS SECKZ

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
'99 is a shit game with some nice backgrounds and music. Maybe if SNK had been able to finish Vanessa in time for the game's release, I might feel more charitable towards the game and more forgiving of its clunkiness. Because I do like the NEST era characters. 2000 improves everything, though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Except the backgrounds.
Eh, it's as least as good on backgrounds overall. It doesn't have anything to equal the rain stage, but what it does have are at least as good as every other '99 background, and better than most of '98 or anything in '97.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'd say they're on the same levels as 98's but 97's are a lot better than 2000's. The temple stage in 98 is the only one I really like in that game.

Whatver, 96 blows them all away.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Whatver, 96 blows them all away.
At least some in '96 do. For sure.

But '97? I'll disagree.
This is the background that always comes to my mind when I think about '97:
kof97-kowloon.png

Terrible. Parallax bad. Color design horrible. It's a punch in the eye. Perspective wrong as fuck. Only 2001 has backgrounds as bad as this one. Even a lot of '02 blows this away.

The second one I always think of is this:
2659054044_ac51bd37ff_o.gif

Flat. Boring. Again, the perspective is off, particularly in the boat compared to the angle of the ground. Then you have a couple lazily repeated background elements on the left just add to the overall sense that KOF '97 was rushed out the door. Wow, reversing. That's a great trick. Horrible. Better than 2000? Hell fucking no.

Bali is boringly-drawn but has excellent color design and great music. Monaco is well-drawn with disappointing parallax. I think Korea stage is strongest overall. Korea is good. But in general, '97 is a shitty looking game, imo, compared to anything that came before it all the way back to '94, and anything that came after, other than 2001 in its entirety and parts of '03.

IMO, of the original MVS King of Fighters entries, the quality of backgrounds ranks as:

'96>2000='99='94>'95>>'98>>>>>'02>'97='03>>>2001

Aesthetically, '97 is a gigantic leap backwards from the year before it. Gameplay-wise, I like it more than '96, but once '98 came on the scene, KOF '97's gameplay value pretty much vanished, imo.

Last edited:

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
At least some in '96 do. For sure.

But '97? I'll disagree.
This is the background that always comes to my mind when I think about '97:
kof97-kowloon.png

Terrible. Parallax bad. Color design horrible. It's a punch in the eye. Perspective wrong as fuck. Only 2001 has backgrounds as bad as this one. Even a lot of '02 blows this away.

The second one I always think of is this:
2659054044_ac51bd37ff_o.gif

Flat. Boring. Again, the perspective is off, particularly in the boat compared to the angle of the ground. Then you have a couple lazily repeated background elements on the left just add to the overall sense that KOF '97 was rushed out the door. Wow, reversing. That's a great trick. Horrible. Better than 2000? Hell fucking no.

Bali is boringly-drawn but has excellent color design and great music. Monaco is well-drawn with disappointing parallax. I think Korea stage is strongest overall. Korea is good. But in general, '97 is a shitty looking game, imo, compared to anything that came before it all the way back to '94, and anything that came after, other than 2001 in its entirety and parts of '03.

IMO, of the original MVS King of Fighters entries, the quality of backgrounds ranks as:

'96>2000='99='94>'95>>'98>>>>>'02>'97='03>>>2001

Aesthetically, '97 is a gigantic leap backwards from the year before it. Gameplay-wise, I like it more than '96, but once '98 came on the scene, KOF '97's gameplay value pretty much vanished, imo.

Fuck!
I agree with you. 96, best BG. 97? The worst!

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I'll be damned, we haven't had a bg discussion in a while and I also agree that '97 had some rather flat and uninspiring bgs outside of Bali and Korea.

Great, now I'm gonna go find footage of '96 AOF's bg and watch the time progression w/the sunset.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
95 hit it on the head with a little introduction before your fight, showing a bit of the stage and that. Psycho Soldier and Yagami teams come to mind.

sp3ctr3

Mr. Big's Thug
Do I spot a giant vagina in that section on the left that's been 'reversed' due to laziness?

Please post more animated backgrounds from fighting games. They're pretty awesome.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

The orochi characters were more fun to use in '97. And the orochi levels were better than what we got in '98. IMO, 98 was a hokey game, with hokey backgrounds that were drawn clean, but lacked concept. This is with exception to the old man stage, which was great.