Fighting game backgrounds, animated

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can't imagine how long it must have taken to do the Mexico stage in 94. I wish developers had recorded themselves and showed what work was like back then.

art, man. plain and simple. that is art. not talking about the video game as a whole or going into some nerdy art arguement - but those stages are art.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Yup, that's art no doubt. Although Last Blade comes to mind when talking about awesome backgrounds. Too bad I can only find non-animated stuff from LB2. IMO the backgrounds of part 1 are even better. Just love Kaedes stage in that game :drool:

flames.png

graveyard.png

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Kof99park3bglite.gif

You numbnut.
Look at that stage and listen to this track. I didn't like '99 coming off of a hardcore '98 high but when I kinda looked at the game on it's own instead of as a followup I liked it and the music as well.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Lbyukibg.gif

Lbkaedebg.gif

Lbakaribg.gif

Lb2villageoftwilightbg.gif

Lb2fireatwadamoyabg.gif

The LB backgrounds are all awesome, perfect choice of color on them.

Look at that stage and listen to this track. I didn't like '99 coming off of a hardcore '98 high but when I kinda looked at the game on it's own instead of as a followup I liked it and the music as well.
I kinda think of this music seeing that stage for some reason:

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
You know what Shroom, I agree with you, I think of that song too. I'm a Kyokugen kinda guy as you can tell from my sig.

Anyway, what do ya'll think about this one:
ThunderCats__Cats_Lair_stage_by_Kiwi_RGB.gif

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I can't imagine how long it must have taken to do the Mexico stage in 94. I wish developers had recorded themselves and showed what work was like back then.

art, man. plain and simple. that is art. not talking about the video game as a whole or going into some nerdy art arguement - but those stages are art.
Yeah, all the stages in '94 and most of '95 are pure art. '94 Mexico, '94 China, '94 Japan... all those stages really come together like they were done by people with legitimate artistic talent. Not like the '97 bullshit. '97 Kowloon looks like it was not conceived and drawn, but was copied from some shitty collage of a really poorly composited bunch of disparate photoshop elements, by someone with zero creativity, artistic skill or design sense.

The Last Blade/Last Blade 2 and MotW backgrounds are art, too, but in a way, KOF '94 impresses me more because of how much earlier it came, and the fact that '94 was a 200 meg game compared to 600 or 700.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
You know what Shroom, I agree with you, I think of that song too. I'm a Kyokugen kinda guy as you can tell from my sig.

Anyway, what do ya'll think about this one:
ThunderCats__Cats_Lair_stage_by_Kiwi_RGB.gif

Nice one Spin. Is there a SilverHawks one too?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Where did that Thundercats one come from? It's cool

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Wasn't there a hacked MVS of Last Blade 2 that included the backgrounds from part 1? I swear I remember seeing this at some point.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Wasn't there a hacked MVS of Last Blade 2 that included the backgrounds from part 1? I swear I remember seeing this at some point.

I don't remember that but I think Crouching Tiger had stages from Street Fighter Alpha.

i really loved the rb ff stages,they were really original
and also for the record ninja master n samurai shodown ftw had awsome stages.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Although not the best looking stage, I've always liked this one. Seening all the FF cronies making cameos and cheering you on is classic. This stage is also a bit sad, because you can see Cody in the background, with Jessica, before his life went to shit.

sfz2-guy.gif

Shame that I can't find it animated, wtf.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Although not the best looking stage,
It's not? I think it's an amazing looking stage. Capcom used to consistently have great looking stages. Almost everything from the Alpha series, almost everything from the first two Darkstalkers...

The SFA3 Guy stage was amazing as well
StreetFighterAlpha3-USA%28Guy%29.png

Great use of perspective, great design, great color...

It wasn't until CvS2 that Capcom really had a huge visual failure.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
It's not? I think it's an amazing looking stage. Capcom used to consistently have great looking stages. Almost everything from the Alpha series, almost everything from the first two Darkstalkers...

The SFA3 Guy stage was amazing as well
StreetFighterAlpha3-USA%28Guy%29.png

I dunno the colors kinda

Great use of perspective, great design, great color...

It wasn't until CvS2 that Capcom really had a huge visual failure.

I dunno.... I guess in Guy's SZ2 stage, the colors are a bit bland to me, and the stage is very 2D dimensional. Yeah, I know it's a 2D game, but some 2D games have some stages that give the background the illusion of depth. I think the stage would have looked a lot better if it was a night stage. It's been awhile since I played the game but I remember it lacked detail and it looked fuzzy and not very sharp.

Guy's stage in SFZ3 looks great, but it lacks as many cameos as the SFZ2 stage.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I dunno.... I guess in Guy's SZ2 stage, the colors are a bit bland to me, and the stage is very 2D dimensional. Yeah, I know it's a 2D game, but some 2D games have some stages that give the background the illusion of depth.
The stage has excellent separation between background, midground and foreground. And the colors are amazing. They are unified and set a tone. I wouldn't mind if they'd set it at an angle and pushed the 3-point perspective more, like the SFA3 stage, but I still think this one looks great.

I played the game but I remember it lacked detail and it looked fuzzy and not very sharp.
That may be your tv or monitor.

Fett

Camel Slug
This thread needs more French fat bitches going ballistic.
france.jpg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ugh. What were they thinking with that one, seriously. Looks like a reject 97 stage.

I will allow others to post non-SNK backgrounds as we've already past the rubicon on that.

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
wow, this is awesome!! is there a place where to see all of the BG in gifs? seems like the good doctor shroom has a lot of gifs?