Metal Slug 3 Hardware

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Have you ever wondered what was on the other side of the NGPC looking board?

ms3-ngpc1.jpg

ms3-ngpc2.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Thank you for doing that and taking the pics..

Yes..yes very much as I just listed my Metal Slug 3 MVS cart on ebay yesterday and it has the daughter board...(Uh Oh,I thought upon listing it as I'm going to be asked about what the heck is it..

Do you know what it's for,why was it used in these games as I then can save me some headache time trying to explain this when asked..

Thank you.

$(KGrHqF,!k8E6Bp3oG4EBOhey1n4sg~~60_12.JPG

it´s a mvs subboard based on ngp knowhow. It enables SNK to program/reprogram the P roms with snk´s ngp cart programmer.

In case there is a big glitch that passed on beta testing, this enables SNK to service the 1st batch run of carts with ease.

I think SNK also rolled carts into production while debugging the game and then added the P roms by hand on the 1st MVS run.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
it´s a mvs subboard based on ngp knowhow. It enables SNK to program/reprogram the P roms with snk´s ngp cart programmer.

In case there is a big glitch that passed on beta testing, this enables SNK to service the 1st batch run of carts with ease.

I think SNK also rolled carts into production while debugging the game and then added the P roms by hand on the 1st MVS run.

Great info again metallizer.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Thank You metallizer :buttrock:

Biggie75

n00b
Here is what my MVS MS3 looks like (on the right) compared to my AES Samuari Shodown 2 that I want to convert to. The case of my SS2 was junked so this hopefully will make a good conversion. Once I get permission to start a thread I'm gonna post some questions.

2011-10-17_13-12-52_208.jpg

I'll give you the first and final answer for your conversion project:

It's never going to work!

MS3 has encrypted roms, it needs donor boards with decryption chips.

You will need a kof99 homecart to pull this one off.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'll give you the first and final answer for your conversion project:

It's never going to work!

MS3 has encrypted roms, it needs donor boards with decryption chips.

You will need a kof99 homecart to pull this one off.

Yup, exactly. Whenever you do conversions always make sure the donor board can actually support the chip and has proper chip types.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Ill take that SS2 off you if you wish to part with it.

Flavor

Saver,
From what I can tell in the pictures, the daughter board has 64mbit of flash memory (4 16mbit chips). The NGPC programming hardware would only have been able to address half (2 of these 4) chips. To program this board, a developer would plug it in to the programmer, program 2 of the chips, turn the board over and replug it, and program the other 2 chips. Notice that there is an edge connector on both sides (where a normal NGPC PCB would only have fingers on one side).

So, yeah, I can only imagine that they used this as a simple way to modify the "ROM" contents (for debugging/upgrading/etc.). I would think there'd be other easy ways to write the flash chips, but maybe they wanted to piggyback on this system for some reason.

It's also worth noting that, at least in the NGPC case, the system itself could write to the flash chips. Is there any possibility that the MS3 cart would store data on the flash chips?

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Have you ever wondered what was on the other side of the NGPC looking board?

ms3-ngpc1.jpg

ms3-ngpc2.jpg
Its weird to see this I had a MS3 just like that but I sold it years back because the contacts were a little worn.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It would be just the early ones. The daughterboard was used to update the program rom, once they finalized the program rom they just used regular mask roms.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
There are three distinct sets for Metal Slug 3, they all use the same CHAFIO board. Set 1 uses PROGBLA and the NGP dev board for the P ROMs. Set 2 uses PROGBLA and regular mask ROMs. Set 3 downgrades to the unencrypted PROGBK1.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
There are three distinct sets for Metal Slug 3, they all use the same CHAFIO board. Set 1 uses PROGBLA and the NGP dev board for the P ROMs. Set 2 uses PROGBLA and regular mask ROMs. Set 3 downgrades to the unencrypted PROGBK1.

Very interesting. Mine (set 3) looks like it was distributed right around the bankruptcy, is that why they switched? I guess set 3 would be the best choice for an AES conversion...

Looks very similar to my MS4 cart.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That's really awesome. very inventive of SNK to include NGPC tech in an MVS cart for EPROM fixes.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Very interesting. Mine (set 3) looks like it was distributed right around the bankruptcy, is that why they switched? I guess set 3 would be the best choice for an AES conversion...

Looks very similar to my MS4 cart.

Yes, the order I described the cart sets in is probably how they were released. I also have a MVS Metal Slug 3 with PROGBK1, it has a high serial. It most likely was made after SNK Corp's closure.

Any of the Metal Slug 3 sets are suitable for converting. If you have one with PROGBLA, just get KOF 99 or 2000. If you have PROGBK1, get a KOF 2001. To stay authentic, the former should have JP artwork and the latter should be English.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wait a sec., why are you guys helping people to make conversions? DON'T DO IT BRO! Leave that cart be and get a converter, a CMVS or a legit home release. It is a shame to butcher carts that work on their own. Come on.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
wait a sec., why are you guys helping people to make conversions? DON'T DO IT BRO! Leave that cart be and get a converter, a CMVS or a legit home release. It is a shame to butcher carts that work on their own. Come on.

I am not making a conversion. Just was curious.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

Sorry, it's a reflex. So many people have helped me with tech stuff, I feel compelled to do the same for others.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's good to have knowledge, although I wouldn't make a Slug 3 conversion since none of the games you would use as donors are terrible common carts. I'd happily sacrifice Football Frenzy or something if that were the donor.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
It's good to have knowledge, although I wouldn't make a Slug 3 conversion since none of the games you would use as donors are terrible common carts. I'd happily sacrifice Football Frenzy or something if that were the donor.

Football frenzy is such a terrible game. Anyway- no worries. I don't have an AES and I am not making a conversion- I have a NG CD, an Omega CMVS, and another CMVS which I bought from JNX that is stuck in transit.