Pranslation Upgrade Board Install Guide

DavidG

Here is a complete list of what you have to do in order to get your Pranslation to fully work. This will be a long job so make sure you have an hour or two before you begin.

First you must do the basic mod which will bring the converter to 95%. Here is a list of what you must connect.

Program Board:

We will start on the A side of the board which has no silkscreen (solder side)

1) Connect AES A19 to the socket at A21
2) Connect AES A20 to the socket at A22
3) Connect AES A21 to the socket at A23
4) Connect AES A22 to the socket at A24
5) Connect AES A28 to the socket at A25
6) Connect AES A29 to the socket at A26
7) Connect AES A30 to the socket at A27
8) Connect AES A31 to the socket at A28
9) Connect AES A33 to the socket at B35. This line must also connect to MVS GFX B18. You can run a wire directly or use the hole directly above socket B35 to run a second wire to A40 on the socket as shown in the image (Refere to the final mod image below). Then run a wire to B18 from the GFX board.
10) Connect AES A48 to the socket at A33

On side B with the silkscreen logo

11) Connect AES B29 to the socket at B28
12) Connect AES B30 to the socket at B26
13) Connect AES B31 to the socket at B27
14) Connect AES B48 to B17 on the MVS GFX edge connector. This can be done with a direct wire or you can use socket A39 and run a wire from the GFX board as seen in the final images.

GFX Board:

1) Run a wire from A21 on the AES side to A13 on the MVS cart connector.

2) Run a wire from A22 on the AES side to A14 on the MVS cart connector.

3) Run a wire from A29 on the AES side to B48 on the MVS cart connector.

Metal Slug X fix - Run a wire from the start or end of point 3 to B18 on the MVS GFX connector. There is a small hole just below B18 you can use instead of trying to run 2 wires to the same spot.

4) Run a wire from A48 on the AES side to B15 on the MVS cart connector.

5) Run a wire from A05 on the AES side to B16 on the MVS cart connector.

You should have already connected 2 wires from the program board, these are listed in the image as Step 9 and 14.

6) Run a wire from B21 on the AES side to B13 on the MVS cart connector.

7) Run a wire from B22 on the AES side to B14 on the MVS cart connector.

8) Run a wire from B48 on the AES side to B17 on the MVS cart connector.

10) Optional - A42 on the gfx board connects to A42 on the program board. This is normally done on the systems side not the game. On the AES board these two are not connected and to date no game has used A42 on the gfx MVS board that I know of. If you want a fully working converter without needing to ever add another wire then run a short wire from A42 gfx MVS cart slot to A42 program MVS cart slot.

The images below show everything done above as well as the next step which is to install the new P1 board.

Phantom-1 Upgrade Board

The install is exactly the same for the Pranslation as it is for the Phantom-1. First you must cut AES A3 to A18. In the image above I cut the lines right under where I installed the board so it isn't noticed. Once cut and you have confirmed the lines are no longer connected you can proceed to install both sides of the board. On the Pranslation this is much easier due to the extra room you have. On the MVS side of the board connect the first 16 lines to the Pranslation's A socket starting at A5 to A20. Then connect the AES side of the board starting with A3 to A18. Once you have all 16 wired on both sides of the board you can continue with power and ground.

The last step is to wire the last 4 wires. Depending on where you install the board you have a choice to connect to the lower AES side or the Pranslation's socket. For the AES side you will use A19, A21, A22 and A48. On the socket connector you can use A21, A23, A24 and A33. In the image I decided to connect three lines to the AES side and the last one to A33 as it was closer then running it to the other side of the board.

Every Phantom upgrade board will include a sheet which shows where to install each pin. On the board itself each pin has a label in case you don't have the install sheet or this post for reference ;).

Remember to take your time, this is a long and complex mod but runs 100%. Always check your power and ground before starting your system.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Now where's the Illustrated Bill's Converter Mod Guide? :p

Seriously though, good job man. ;)

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Just spend an enjoyable evening performing the basic mod on my Pranslation.

Huge thanks, DavidG. A well written guide and neat photos. If only my soldering was as neat as yours!

And very pleased to have a few rounds of the newly working KOF2000 MVS cart I had to test it with!

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
This is fantastic news! I suppose I can have my Pranslation + Fast Striker sent back finally! :D Time for some Fast Striker on my Rev 1 AES using a Pranslation! :D I would also need to grab one of the Phantom-1 Boards as well to fix the Pranslation I have here at the house, so PM me and we can work out a price for shipping the items back and such. Great work David, thank you! :)

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
@DavidG

Just for your information:
Our new PCB design for Gunlord needs pin B24 (68KCLKB) on MVS side. I don't know if it's already covered in your adapters... :D

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
@DavidG

Our new PCB design for Gunlord needs pin B24 (68KCLKB) on MVS side. I don't know if it's already covered in your adapters... :D

Thanks for the heads up! lol I would hate to miss out on playing Gunlord on my AES! :D

DavidG

@DavidG

It's covered and your game should work fine on all converters. If you're making new PCB's can you ask your board shop to add more of an angle to the edge board? Right now your 1.0 boards are very difficult to insert into any 3rd party cart slot such as those on the P1 and Pranslation. We just need a little more :).

DavidG

This is fantastic news! I suppose I can have my Pranslation + Fast Striker sent back finally! :D Time for some Fast Striker on my Rev 1 AES using a Pranslation! :D I would also need to grab one of the Phantom-1 Boards as well to fix the Pranslation I have here at the house, so PM me and we can work out a price for shipping the items back and such. Great work David, thank you! :)

I still have some minor things to wrap up then everything will start to go back. I hope to finish up this week. Once done I will post the final upgrade board (which will look exactly the same as the one already seen) and it will be available for sale.