Captain Tomaday: Boot or SNK repaired?

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
I know for a fact this is the right board, but I also know that they are all not original eeproms, is this a down right boot or professionally repaired?

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Personally, this almost seems like someone converted an older game into Captain Tomaday. The PROG board is dated for 1994, whereas Captain Tomaday is 1999. Also I don't think either of those board types are originally for Captain Tomaday. All the MX and eprom chips suggests this.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
The date on the boards doesnt matter and these boards were used for Tomaday. But it is a boot nonetheless.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
I was pretty sure when I saw those windowed chips it was a boot, but aren't MX a little pricey of chips to use on a boot?

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Not necessarily , they can be bought for about the same price or cheaper than standard UV eproms.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It was confirmed that SNK used MX chips towards the end of their reign in 97-2000 for some games. Captain Tomaday came out in 99 BUT it wasn't a high demand game so it's a boot.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I've only seen MX EPROMs on an original MVS cart. Games I've seen with standard MX Mask Roms have all been boots

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I have a Sonic Wings 3 cart with pcbs that look almost exactly like the pics above (except for 2 more chips on the CHA board). It's filled with MX chips and uses a 1994 PROG board.

But the kicker is that, whoever made the cart put 2 square shaped holographic temper stickers with "original" printed all over it, one on the side and another over one of the screw holes. Did they think that was going to stop me from opening it to check? XD

Last edited:

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
That's why I was skeptical and was wondering if it was a repair or not, it's actually one of the better looking boots to me in my collection.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

I think that in this case, the final evidence is the solders side, could you take some pictures?

Un saludo

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Hi,

I think that in this case, the final evidence is the solders side, could you take some pictures?

Un saludo

Not needed in this case: every single chip is not original, so it is not a "repaired" cartridge but a clear boot.

"salu2, compadre" ;)

edit: is not a conversion, is a boot.

Last edited:

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
One or two MX chips, and only in M1 and maybe a P slot, but a whole cart full of MX "flash" roms? Hell no... Boot.

It's not a "conversion" either. It's a straight up boot. A "conversion" is the act of taking original chips and transplanting them to AES<->MVS boards -- all original SNK parts.

My Captain Tomaday also says 1994 on the card. Pretty sure it's the original label with serials etc. Toshiba chips. I hope it's no boot.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
There's no such thing as a *windowed* mask ROM.

Mask ROMS are fabricted, much like an IC and are done by the ROM manufacturer. These cannot be erased so there is no need for a window. UV EPROMS have the windows and can be erased and reprogrammed by consumers.

Most mask ROM manufacturers also make OTP EPROM and sometimes FLASH varities, which people tend to confuse as a mask ROM because they are plastic and don't have a window.

Pay attention to the part numbers listed on the chips. For this particular game, Captain Tomaday has a 32Mb V1 and an 8Mb V2. This is the known official configuration for this game, and on Toshiba *mask* ROMS (the TC53xxx numbers). The bootleg above has 3x 16Mb Macronix FLASH memories (29F1615) used as the V1, v2, and V3 chips.

What are we going to do when the pirates start using a little acetone to disolve the MX part numbers and screen print new info? It's probably already going on.

Jeff

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What are we going to do when the pirates start using a little acetone to disolve the MX part numbers and screen print new info? It's probably already going on.
I sure hope the MVS market never gets that bad. For AES, I can believe it. Up until now most MVS bootleggers didn't care much about passing off their goods as legit as long as it played right in a cab somewhere in a second world country. You're talking about bootlegging for collectors, which I hope remains very small.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
No doubt! I'm glad I have the MVS carts I want in my collection so that I don't have to worry about this sort of thing now. Anyone getting into collecting now has a lot of boots to wade through.

Jeff

I sure hope the MVS market never gets that bad. For AES, I can believe it. Up until now most MVS bootleggers didn't care much about passing off their goods as legit as long as it played right in a cab somewhere in a second world country. You're talking about bootlegging for collectors, which I hope remains very small.