Metal Slug X Fix for 9v-12v Neo's - All converters

DavidG

I do most of my work on 5v first gen neo systems so I never knew about this issue until now. On all 9v or higher NeoGeo home systems Metal Slug X with all converters will not boot. Some will show a blue screen, others will show a black screen with a flashing white line.

This fix will work for all converters including the SMVS2. I'm using SNKorSWM's Phantom-1 for this post.

Flip the Phantom-1 over to the side without the arrow and remove all 6 screws.

Next flip the board over and get a wire long enough to connect both board but not too long that it hangs out after. Solder one end to the program board B35 on the MVS side as seen below.

Next on the gfx board find A29 and remove the solder mask, apply some solder and clean. Once done you can run the wire around the ring of glue between the stand off and connect it. Once done put the converter back together and play.

For SMVS2 the mod is exactly the same. For Pranslation users you can do this mod on the gfx board, just run a wire from A29 to the top program board connector (no need to run a wire between boards).

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So connect B35 from PROG to A19 CHAR?

Would that work on a dead MSX MVS cart? I guess I'll try it and report back.

DavidG

If the game no longer works on any MVS board...it's dead. All this mod does is make a working MSX run on 9v+ boards.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If the game no longer works on any MVS board...it's dead. All this mod does is make a working MSX run on 9v+ boards.

Damn, so what does this fix actually do on the tech level?

DavidG

The game has two issues, one being power to the altera max chip. I have tried to read the chip but as expected it's locked. We have several options for a dead MSX cart, you can use eeproms on a normal board and use the downloaded version of p1 and 2. You can see if those in the emu end of things can tell you exactly what had to be done to take the code as is off the board and make it work without protection then work on a replacement for the altera chip. Or get a new cart and work on the power end of things to protect it.

Second problem really isn't a cart problem but with the system. On MVS boards SNK did make connections between the two slots. On the home system they are not there. Once you make the connection you need the game runs fine. With MSX working fine here on all neo revisions and on the SMVS2, P1 and Pranslation I would say they are finally 100% done.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
With MSX working fine here on all neo revisions and on the SMVS2, P1 and Pranslation I would say they are finally 100% done.

Finally in 2011, it has come full circle. 20 damn years...lol

Great job DavidG.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
For some reason, Metal Slug X on the 100-in-1 multicart seems to run normally with Phantom-1 on the higher voltage consoles.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
For Pranslation users you can do this mod on the gfx board, just run a wire from A29 to the top program board connector (no need to run a wire between boards).

Pics on Pranslation thread please! (of complete project) :D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just to clarify for some people doing this mod.

Wire will run from MVS PROG B35 to AES CHAR A29.

B sides count from left to right, A sides count from right to left.

Also a switch is needed for this fix as well as DavidG has said in other threads as some games will not run with the MSX fix applied so you need a switch to make sure you can switch it on and off.

**Can we also get this moved and stickied in the MVS Converter section?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Wire will run from MVS PROG B35 to AES CHAR A29.

Also a switch is needed for this fix as well as DavidG has said in other threads as some games will not run with the MSX fix applied so you need a switch to make sure you can switch it on and off.

Sounds like it'd just be easier to solder two wires onto the board, with a pin and socket on each wire...

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Wouldnt it be a great thing if Metal Slug X wasnt so expensive eh?? :lolz:

DavidG

The aes does have the altera max but it used a slightly different code to get around the MVS converter issue. The chip is still wide open to pop like the MVS but since the cost of the cart is so high and not played much I don't think it will be a problem.

If it did become a problem I'm sure the emu teams can tell us what logic the chip is using and we could replace the chip.

NEO-GEO man

The AES conversion carts of Slug X use a BK1 in place of the EOP, and there is an eprom in there to do the job normally done by the Altera MAX, i havent seen one, so im not sure how it all goes. They use all original mask ROMs apparently, but there is one eprom to get round that Altera.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You sure? Isn't the Altera used for bankswitching as well?

NEO-GEO man

Im sure yep, as sure as i can be without seeing one, i was told so by a man doing them. Where else will they get an EOP??

Last edited:

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
PROGBK1 has all the essential bits that PROGEOP has except for protection and that can be stripped out of the ROM. There's nothing that has to be added to the ROM to make it work, just a few things modified and removed. I made a thread a long time back about my patched P1 to make SlugX run on a BK1. I also haven't seen any SlugX AES conversions before but the ROMs I posted have been out for a while and can be used for converts aswell as fixing MVS carts. Anyone trying to make AES bootlegs though and hoping people don't open the carts won't get very far though. It's very easy to tell them the patched ROM from the real one even though it'll play seemingly the same way.

NEO-GEO man

Yep the P1 is all this bloke told me he uses an eprom for Dan ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yep the P1 is all this bloke told me he uses an eprom for Dan ;)

Ya, I misread your post yesterday. I thought you were saying that he used all original eproms on the BK1 with a patch eprom instead of replacing the P1.

NEO-GEO man

Yeah it was probably not the easiest piece to follow. What i did mean is all genuine mask ROMs and an eprom for P1 ROM is used.