What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
MSX... Because Aleste 2, Zanac, Space Manbow, 1942, Parodius, Kyokugen, Pleasure Hearts, Hype, etc..

Personally, the Dreamcast is my favorite shooter platform. So many titles to choose from, be it import or not, and there's new stuff being developed for it.

My top 3 in no particular order are: Psyvariar 2, Gigawing 2, and Mars Matrix.

Ikaruga would be up there as well, but I've never played it on the DC. Got my GCN version at launch. :)

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm down with the Sega Genesis/Sega CD mostly for the Thunder Force series and Lords of Thunder. Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force in particular just happens to be my favorite shooter period, just edging out Progear. I've learned I'm more into the Horizontal shmups.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'm down with the Sega Genesis/Sega CD

This. So many quality shmups on the Genny - I just picked up Gaiares and am enjoying the crazy weapon upgrade system. And of course the Thunder Force series is timeless.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
can only agree to that. Dreamcast got better over the years, but Saturn is definitely the best shmup-plattform

A tag-team along with the PS1 is a requirement to really deserve the "definitely". But as a stand alone, the Saturn wins of course.

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It may have been mentioned pages back in this multi-year thread, but one big advantage Dreamcast has over a lot of the competition is the stout homebrew community. There are still several releases on a semi-regular basis. Even with a killer library, the best may still be yet to come.

caughdrops

n00b
Really digging the Turbografx. Love the Soldier series and the Aleste games on the Turbo CD in particular! :]

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
TG16 / PC Engine for me, still working on my PCE collection...theres just sooooooooooo many

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
In the order:

1) Saturn: Sengoku Blade and Layer Section are my fav ones. Tons of great ports.

2) PCE: suffers the limit in most arcade ports, but it's so ambitious for the time. Soldier Blade and R-Type I + II are the shit.

3) PS1: underestimated, it has some great multiplatform (like Dodonpachi and Soukyugurentai) good at least as the Saturn ones, and amazing exclusives like Zanac X Zanac. Love the Cotton arcade perfect port.

Missile

Another Striker
Honestly I own a Saturn, Jap SNES, and Dreamcast and Neo Geo is the one I play the most now. I just like the 16bit maxed-out graphics, with non-CD sound. The ones I play the most are Blazing Star (one of the best schmups *ever* in my opinion), Alpha Mission 2 (I like how it is old-fashioned and complicated!), Fast Striker (first proper bullet-hell schmup on Neo Geo), and Viewpoint (also superb). Pulstar is also f**king amazing. It's like a work of art, although the pace is quite slow in that game (much like R-Type) so I play it less often.

Consoles like the PS2 and the ones that came after it had lots of those bullet-hell schmups with trance music playing. There are some good ones, but they seem to have less character and less to differentiate them. Also I was never a big fan of Ikaruga and games with weird scoring systems. I really do like Mars Matrix on Dreamcast though. Its industrial and ugly but also somehow beautiful and it plays like a dream. Everyone should own this game!

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah i'm gonna have to go with the Sega Saturn by sheer volume and quality.

PS2 for Gradius V, Giga Wing the Cave games, and all those Psikyo ports etc...but I still think Saturn stomps it overall.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Well...i'm old skool & i guess i had the most enjoyment with Shmups on my trusty old Commodore 64!!...
Mega apocolypse,Armalyte,Delta, Retrograde, Katakis, X-out...Sanxion...Cybernoid....to name a few, there were stack loads of quality on the system:)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What a bliss for all those mentioned that MAME is not a "platform", or... is it?

Last edited:

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
Well...i'm old skool & i guess i had the most enjoyment with Shmups on my trusty old Commodore 64!!...
Mega apocolypse,Armalyte,Delta, Retrograde, Katakis, X-out...Sanxion...Cybernoid....to name a few, there were stack loads of quality on the system:)

Hurray another 8bit lover! (:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
On the retro side of shooters

Saturn
PC-Engine
Genesis:For which i'm getting one soon again.
Dreamcast
Famicom

I got nothing on the modern ones i never got into importing for the PS2 and no 360 here either.
Looking at the list again i still think the same.I will say it's been fun collecting for the genesis again and playing allot of it's own exclusive shooters.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Megadrive, PCE, PS1, PS2, and DC all have a great shmup library.
But if I had to pick 2 consoles, it'd still be 360 and Saturn.

I feel for those who picked SNES and Neo-Geo :lolz:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
As long as it's not the US PS2.

While it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of shoot 'em ups as the JPN or PAL markets, the US PS2 still has a few gems. Off the top of my head, Raiden III, R-Type Final and Gradius III & IV are all awesome. Remember that it's back-compatible with the PS1 games as well, and there are plenty of great shoot 'em ups on the US PS1. I wouldn't rate the PS2 as one of the top systems for shoot 'em ups, but it's definitely no slouch, and better than many consoles.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Turbo Duo. I still have fond memories of my first 1cc ever, Gate of Thunder.