What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

benimaru7

New Challenger
I recently got a Saturn and a few games, its a great machine for shooters!
DariusII and DoDonPachi look fantastic.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Saturn is a beast when it come's to shooters, battle garegga, Soukyugurentai (think it's spelt like that) and radiant silvergun are 3 of my all time favourite shmups, you'd need a lottery win to be able to buy them though, i got 2 saturn's both chipped and it's the only way i can play these games...

benimaru7

New Challenger
Prices are getting like aes games though!
Radiant Silvergun is one of the few 3D shooters I like, Thunderforce V feels so dated, IV is much more enjoyable imo.

cat

Thunderforce V feels so dated, IV is much more enjoyable imo.

I play it regularly on my psp, enjoy it a lot, i would go along with you on IV it's probably the best, the one i dislike the most is thunder spirits on the snes, not a good game...

benimaru7

New Challenger
I guess playing on a smaller display will look better than a 29" crt. I don't remember playing thunder spirits but maybe thats a good thing! Have you played Darius Burst on Psp? I played the arcade version and loved it!

cat

No I'm not familiar with Darius burst, but keep away from thunder spirits, and barring a hand full of games I'd say the SNES is pretty shit when it comes to shmups

benimaru7

New Challenger
Axeley was a great shooter on snes! Compared to Megadrive it didn't have as many great shooters.

cat

---
Axeley was a great shooter on snes!

Axelay is really good but way too easy benimaru, other's i've played on snes... E.D.F, super aleste, parodius, pop n twinbee, r-type, also darius, but it's a poor version.
And another monstrosity of a shmup called phalanx, it had probably the worst box art ever for a shmup, with an old boy playing a banjo, check this out

th.jpg

benimaru7

New Challenger
---

Axelay is really good but way too easy benimaru, other's i've played on snes... E.D.F, super aleste, parodius, pop n twinbee, r-type, also darius, but it's a poor version.
And another monstrosity of a shmup called phalanx, it had probably the worst box art ever for a shmup, with an old boy playing a banjo, check this out

View attachment 27374

Lol that is really poor!! The lead designer must have been away when they put that artwork to print!! Shit isn't the word!
I forgot about EDF that was a good game, loved the parallex scrolling of the clouds on the first level, I need to play that one again.

cat

I forgot about EDF that was a good game, loved the parallex scrolling of the clouds on the first level, I need to play that one again.

E.D.F is a tough game after 20 years i still can't get past the last boss, and make sure you play the jap version it's the easiest, strangely, i got the cart but always end up playing it on my chipped xbox...

red shoe paul

Stakes Winner
15 Year Member
I started getting into shooters on PS2 with Ibara, so PlayStation platforms over everything. Haven't played enough on arcades to warrant a switch. Last gen the Xbox was king, but hoping things change.

cat

Last gen the Xbox was king, but hoping things change.

I'm assuming you mean the 360 red shoe paul, being a limey we got very few of the shmups released over here deathsmiles is the only one i've got, there were a handfull of others that were released multi region but i can't remember they're names off the top of my head.
Missed out on a whole bunch of shmups on the 360, i should have had my 360 sorted, if you know what i mean...

damosh

n00b
For me it´s PSX, PS2 and 360. The 360 has some really fantastic shmups. The Cave Shooting collection is fantastic. Also the PSX have many titles (mostly from japan) that are worth playing.

cat

For me it´s PSX, PS2 and 360. The 360 has some really fantastic shmups. The Cave Shooting collection is fantastic. Also the PSX have many titles (mostly from japan) that are worth playing.

there's quite a few on the psx damosh, but you'll need deep pockets for some of them, i love harmful park but have only played it on an emulator and i really gotta thing for einhander, to name two...

damosh

n00b
there's quite a few on the psx damosh, but you'll need deep pockets for some of them, i love harmful park but have only played it on an emulator and i really gotta thing for einhander, to name two...

Thats, right, but I have some good connections to japan on FB, so the rare ones have mostly reasonable prices^^lucky me.

powerflower

Banned
Puhh, that's a tuffy.

All jp consoles have great shmups. The reason I own them all. In quantity and quality PC-Engine wins easily I think.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
It's a tough call, but I'm going to go with the PC Engine/TG16 as my favorite shooter platform as well. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive would be my runner-up pick.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Genesis/Megadrive, there's just too many to name and I've got every single one CIB except Battlemania II.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Dreamcast. Especially since more keep getting made for it yearly...hell, one is coming out this month

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Dreamcast. Especially since more keep getting made for it yearly...hell, one is coming out this month

I find that awesome too, the fan made games etc. But it's official lifespan is still shorter than AES'! I haven't picked up any of those newer shmups. My DC collection needs some serious work.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
E.D.F is a tough game after 20 years i still can't get past the last boss, and make sure you play the jap version it's the easiest, strangely, i got the cart but always end up playing it on my chipped xbox...

Besides it being easier, what makes the JP version better?

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Saturn is prolly the best console for shooters. Mad props to Dreamcast too. Ikaruga, Zero Gunner, Sturmwind and Chaos Blade are getting heavy rotation at my house.