What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I just scooped up Danmaku Unlimited II for steam and I did well on the first mission then got my ass handed to me. So far it's pretty good.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm not being a Sega fanboy...but the Saturn and DC really are great shmups boxes. The Genesis even holds its own to this day.

Frenetic

New Challenger
With all the Cave/Qute/Moss stuff for a JP Xbox 360, my vote has gotta go with that platform, with the PC Engine running a close second.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I just scooped up Danmaku Unlimited II for steam and I did well on the first mission then got my ass handed to me. So far it's pretty good.

This game is included in Humble Bundle Flash Shmups (11 hours remaining) along with Really Big Sky, Syder Arcade, Aqua Kitty and Crimzon Clover.

Only Syder Arcade on Mac, definately NOT the best platform for gaming.

I'd say the best platform for shmups is the one that has the games that suits you. You can't find a bullet hell on Famicom, you must look for them in other places. I have a fondness for Famicom shooters, for example.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
its hard to say since many systems have some awesome shmups but I have to give it to turbo/pc engine. great shmups like lords of thunder, coryoon, toilet kids, blazing lazers, dead moon, soldier blade, and many more made it a must own system for me.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
saturn would have to be second just because battle garegga is for the saturn and that is my favorite shooter next to blazing star and blazing lazers

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Saturn all the way. Although with new shooters still being released, the Dreamcast is catching up.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
PGM: Ketsui, DDP DOJ, DDP2, Espgadula

dosdemon

Zero's Secretary
I really like the DC for the Milestone stuff, probably in a minority but I think all those games are wicked fun. Also think the SNES is mad, mad underrated for shooters. PCE is my personal top shooter system though since caravan shooters are my favorite. Honorable mention: X68000

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
I would definitely have to say PCE/TGX16.
I bought a European TurboGrafx16 about 5 years ago, which came with Blazing Lazers (aka Gun Hed). If you ask me, a far superior pack-in game than for example Keith Courage. Throughout the years, I purchased a PC Engine Duo along with games like Star Soldier, Soldier Blade and Final Soldier. Still on my wishlist are Wings of Thunder and Gate of Thunder.
The best thing of course are the turbo buttons on the PCE controllers - that's really great feature for playing SHMUPs..

If I only can pick one , dreamcast will be my only choice then. I really enjoyed playing every shooters when they came out. had ton of fun.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Saturn fan here for shmups, although if I couldn't pick Saturn, the PlayStation would be it due to the overlap in games. PCE is definitely next though, and then I think Genesis.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm not sure how the obvious answer is not Saturn (J) or PCE depending on the generation of shmups you're looking for. Sure, other systems have their share of quality exclusive titles, but the sheer volume on the aforementioned two outmatches everything imho. I could see an argument for X360 for modern arcade ports too I suppose.

powerflower

Banned
PC-Engine
Saturn
Mega Drive
Jamma
Dreamcast...

It's like asking someone which of his kids he likes the most.

I love them all:)

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
+1 for pce. Soldier Blade and W Ring all the way.

Close second for Saturn

dedalusdedalus

Crossed Swords Squire
I've gotta give this one to TG16/PCE. Just a fantastic line-up of shmups, there are absolute classics (R-Type, Solider Blade and Super Star Soldier) and even the ones that kind of sucked had tons of character (Psychosis, Dragon Spirit). Plus, it had the turbo setting so you didn't have to mash the fire button.

Second place is too close to call for me. It would either have to be Saturn or Genesis, perhaps even Dreamcast.

TheIronSheik

Kuroko's Training Dummy
FOr me it has to be the TurboGrafx/PC Engine:

Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Blazing Lazers
Super Star Soldier
FInal Soldier
Soldier Blade
Magical Chase
Air Zonk
Spriggan