What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Garegga on the Saturn tops every shooter on the psx. The only one I wouldn't want to be without is the Japanese Raiden Project. Everything else on the Sony platforms I could give up. PC-Engine beats Genesis and Jap 360 Is a modern classic. My 2 cents.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
And, because the Saturn is "the king of 2D" (blah blah blah) ppl automatically assume the PS1 is incapable of 2D, full-stop, which obviously, isn't true. Especially when it comes to Shoot Em Ups.

I confess to owning all the cross-platform titles on Saturn and the Playstation exclusives. But I did buy some titles for BOTH and was really surprised to see the likes of the Donpachi's were superior on PS1...

Yeah, In the Hunt and Strikers 1945 II are also superior on PSX, probably some others.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member

Has great versions of most of my favorite shmups, plus online leaderboards and in most cases replay uploads/downloads too.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
This is such a hard question. Ok. Here goes. #1 would be Sega Saturn... Here's why: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters

Basically, all I need to say is Batsugun, too...

#2 is Dreamcast... I mean, Mars Matrix, Ikaruga, Gunbird 2, and all the late era/indie shooters too.

#3 TG16 - Soldier series, GunHed, Winds/Lords of Thunder, etc

Hon mention: Sega Genesis. I am just getting into this now actually. Absolutely loving MUSHA, Super Fantasy Zone, (thank you Wii VC) Thunderforce series, Truxton, & other Toaplan games.

Edit: PS - PSX and PS2 obviously have a great selection, PS2 espec if you like the Danmaku type of shmup. I just didn't think of it right away because to me by the time those consoles came out my initial fever for those games mellowed out a bit... the excitement wasn't the same.

Last edited:

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Toss up between PS1/Saturn.

Both have must have games that look amazing in RGB/Tate on a CRT.

Lot of good games on PS2, but not liking the 480i.

Nyd

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
JAMMA. Not being a smart assed curmudgeon, either.
tate mode by default,
240p, no emu/port niggles (which really effect twitch games), and dat G•Darius, son. PSX rev is a fish stick, to the JAMMA rev's tsukiji sashimi.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
JAMMA. Not being a smart assed curmudgeon, either.
tate mode by default,
240p, no emu/port niggles (which really effect twitch games), and dat G•Darius, son. PSX rev is a fish stick, to the JAMMA rev's tsukiji sashimi.

touche, salesman

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
The PS2. Lots of great shooters that can be picked up on the cheap via compilations as well as some others. The backwards compatibility with PSX only sweetens the deal.

I really want to play some of the Saturn shmups, but they're out of my budget range.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I would have to go with the Sega Saturn at the top.

after that it's a tie with between my turbo duo and dreamcast

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Yeah Saturn wins by a country mile, and in a close second would have to be Dreamcast. Hell they are still coming out with Dreamcast shmups.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I have a Saturn that sits next to the Neo. I definitely want to get some imported games, so I can see the great shmups on the system.

oldskool

n00b
My personal favorite would have to be the Genesis / Mega Drive.

But I do agree that the Dreamcast / 360 / and PCE have a damn fine line up. Not to mention of course the MVS.

The SNES is crap for shmups. Does it have some good ones? Yeah it does - but not too many to be honest.. a lot of potentials but I think the hardware was just too slow to make a good fast action shmup.

DeusVult

Another Striker
my favourite is the sega Saturn, excellent range of shooters, also used to love my pc engine Mr Heli one of my favourite games ever.

moreorless

n00b
My personal favorite would have to be the Genesis / Mega Drive.

But I do agree that the Dreamcast / 360 / and PCE have a damn fine line up. Not to mention of course the MVS.

The SNES is crap for shmups. Does it have some good ones? Yeah it does - but not too many to be honest.. a lot of potentials but I think the hardware was just too slow to make a good fast action shmup.

I can remember quite a few, UN Squadron, R-type 3, Super Aleste, Axelay, Parodius etc.

The issue I spose is that as you say the SNES wasn't as well suited for fast action so it tended towards more tactical/atmospheric shoot em ups so it depends a lot on your taste. Personally dispite owning a lot of them back in the day a lot of the Megadrive shooters for me lacked polish, the Thunderforce games especially always came across as looking to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the mix without really having finesse of the best SNES titles.

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
pc engine is mine, gate of thunder, override, soldier blade, gunhed, super star soldier, lords of thunder, r-type complete to name just a few.
followed by saturn, dreamcast, j360

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I can remember quite a few, UN Squadron, R-type 3, Super Aleste, Axelay, Parodius etc.

The issue I spose is that as you say the SNES wasn't as well suited for fast action so it tended towards more tactical/atmospheric shoot em ups so it depends a lot on your taste. Personally dispite owning a lot of them back in the day a lot of the Megadrive shooters for me lacked polish, the Thunderforce games especially always came across as looking to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the mix without really having finesse of the best SNES titles.

Having had the opportunity to play many Genesis and SNES shmups lately, I'm going to revise my opinion on the SNES. For example, I actually prefer Space Megaforce to MUSHA, and I'm also a big fan of UN Squadron and Axelay. There are a handful of great ones on both systems. The Genesis line up has more depth but you cannot ignore the quality of a select few on the SNES.

jekbrown

New Challenger
SNES is an underrated system for shooters IMO. I had a lot of fun playing UN squadron and axelay back in the day. No system will ever beat the Saturn though. Radiant Silvergun, soukyugurentai, and battle garegga are the father, son, and holy ghost of shooters. Simply awesome!

DeusVult

Another Striker
un squadron on the snes was amazing.

Saturn has great shooter lineup iam playing cotton2 and guardian force both really good...

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
Turbo Duo TG16 for US but for JP PC Engine and Saturn.

Lords Of Thunder, Soldier Blade, Cotton some of the best!