What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Triggerheart Exelica had an update on the PS2, which features Faintear as a selectable character.

geise

Mickey's Coach
As much as I love my Saturn with Galactic Attack, Taoplan, Cave, and Battle Garegga shooters, my top system is PC-Engine. Spriggan and Gate of Thunder are my two favorite shooters. Some love it or hate it, but I love the two Rayxanber games as well as the Soldier series. Override is also an awesome shooter that gets overlooked on the system till recently. There are so many awesome shooters on some of the other systems as well, but still it's the PC-Engine for me. Lately I find myself so tired of the bullet hell stuff and just wanna get back to basics and kill shit.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Saturn, Dreamcast & PS2 with, by extension, PS1. PS1 after all has some great titles like Zanac NEO, Raiden DX (plus Raiden Project), Delta and Gradius Gaiden no to mention, many shared titles with the Saturns shmup library (Konami collections, AGears titles etc). It has better ports of the Donpachi titles too.

Anyway, all said and done, I think I enjoy my DC shmups the most. I'm not going to cite the old quantity > quality, as it's not true. But, I love a lot of the titles for DC, especially Mars Matrix, GigaWing, Zero Gunner 2, BDown and Under Defeat. Not to mention, Ikaruga. I even like the average ones like Chaos Field (quite unique) and Trizeal (falling medal system!) too. Also, the DC is where I learned to appreciate and fall in love with the shoot em up, so that definitely is a factor too. Saturn importing came later for me (mid 2000's).

Ironically, Battle Garegga on Saturn is my fave shoot em up, closely followed by Mars Matrix...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
PC Engine is my fav shmup platform. Follow up is Genesis/Megadrive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My favorite is the Saturn. I also love the SEGA Genesis+CD, SNES, Turbografx-16, NES, Neo Geo, and of course the Dreamcast (Mars Matrix fucking rules).

Underrated choice: Atari 7800. Great home versions of classic shooters: Galaga, Asteroids, Centipede, Choplifter, Xevious, Commando, Robotron 2084, plus some good homebrews and Atari 2600 compatibility (Yars' Revenge is one of my all time favorites).

geise

Mickey's Coach
I love me some Robotron! Not a fan of Xevious though, especially on the pc-engine.:lolz:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Seriously wishing I had a Sega Saturn thanks to all of those who are chiming in. For me, I dig the PC-Engine. The shooter library is simple, but very strong and very fun to play. Gate of THUNDER FTW!!!!!!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
In order, Dreamcast/NAOMI, PS2, xbox 360, saturn. All of them very strong contenders for first place in my personal list.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
PC Engine, all day, every day. I still can't believe how good the shooters are to this day. :buttrock:

Oh how I wish NEC didn't fuck up their follow up console. :crying:

psychobear85

B. Jenet's Firstmate
NEC- by far my favorite, can't get enough if the blazing lazers tunes
Dreacast- good selection

Saturn. Period.

Then it would be a mix between DC, 360, and PCE/TG.

There's just so many standouts between the 3, it's damn hard to choose. But Saturn is my top choice, also 'cause it's home to some of my favorite fighters. SF Zero 3 FTW!

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
I just recently got a JP Dreamcast for SHMUPS. I haven't gotten my hands on anything (besides a couple of back-ups) yet. I have also had my eye out for a JP Saturn. I like Axelay and U.N. Squadron on the SNES, but a lot of the SNES SHMUPS tend to slow way down when the action picks up. I liked Lords of Thunder and Android Assault on the SEGA CD.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
I don't have a strong order of preference, but it's PC Engine, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, and 360.
I might include PS2 if I had imported more, still plan to do that, but I've only played the domestic shmup PS2 releases so far.

I prefer original hardware(provided the ports are good) over MAME, but if the console port sucks then I'll just go MAME for the particular game. I'd like to get into PCB collecting, but there's a serious space issue for me, and I'm too heavily invested in collecting for consoles & handhelds already.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
Also, I'm pretty impartial to which platform I'm playing on; I guess the old Sega fan in me likes to be playing on Sega hardware; but the controller side of things is a non-issue, as I absolutely love the Saturn pad and have controller adapters to accomodate a Saturn pad(Original, USB, or PS1/PS2 versions) on all the consoles I listed.

Elder

NEST Puppet
For me, it's Saturn all the way. I still consider the Saturn to be the most underrated console ever.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
I agree with Saturn and for pure quality the 360 but the PS1 is no slouch either .
Some people underestimate the amount of shmups available on the system .

3d shooting tsukuru
70’s Robot Anime Geppy-X
Air Grave
Asteroids
Bokan - Time Bokan Bokan Desu Yo! Yattaman
Bokan to Ippatsu! Doronbo: Time Bokan Shirizu
Capcom Generation 1
Capcom Generation 3
Capcom Generation 4
ChoAniki
Cotton
Darius Gaiden
Dezaemon Kids
Dezaemon Plus
DonPachi
DoDonPachi
Einhander
G-Darius
Gaia Seed: Project Seed Trap
Galaga: Destination Earth
Gatchaman: The Shooting
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Gradius Gaiden
Geki-Oh Shienryu Shooting King
Gunbare! Game Tengoku 2
Gunbird
Harmful Park
Image Fight/X-Multiply
In the Hunt - Kaitei Daisensou
Jaleco Collection Vol. 1
Konami Arcade Classics
Kyuiin @ - twin dreams - vacuum cleaner kids
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Meta-Ph-List Gamma X 2297
Midway Collection
Mobile light force
Nichibutsu Arcade Classics
Night Raid
Parodius Deluxe Pack
parodius forever with me Jikkyou Oshaberi
Philosoma
R-Type Delta
R-Types
Raiden
Raiden project
Raiden DX
Raycrisis
Raystorm
Salamander Deluxe
Sexy Parodius
SIMPLE 1500 SERIES Vol. 35 The shooting ( Space shot )
Sol Divide
Sonic Wings Special
Soukyu-gurentai
Space Invaders Variations
Stahlfeder
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Thunder Force V: Perfect System
Toaplan Shooting Battle 1
Twinbee Deluxe Pack
Two-Tenkaku
Wonder 3
X2: No Relief
Xevious 3D/G+
Zanac X Zanac

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
...but the PS1 is no slouch either .
Some people underestimate the amount of shmups available on the system.
100% agree.

And, because the Saturn is "the king of 2D" (blah blah blah) ppl automatically assume the PS1 is incapable of 2D, full-stop, which obviously, isn't true. Especially when it comes to Shoot Em Ups.

I confess to owning all the cross-platform titles on Saturn and the Playstation exclusives. But I did buy some titles for BOTH and was really surprised to see the likes of the Donpachi's were superior on PS1...