What's your favourite platform for Shmups?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
im all about my pc-engine for shumps, but now im starting to pick up pcbs, so it may start leaning towards arcade XP

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Genesis and the Saturn. I never get tired of Streets of Rage.

Oh, yes. How couldany self confessed shmup fan, not appreciate the grandest of 16bit shooters... Streets of Rage :rolleyes:

Thunder Force IV? Nah, I'll take SoR any day of the week. :cool:

hexcrass

n00b
xyAAJ.jpg

Last edited:

Forte

n00b
Saturn and Dreamcast. Sega might not know much, but they do know 2D shooters!

Pyongyang

n00b
I like the PC Engine and the Saturn, closely followed by the XBOX 360 and Dreamcast. Can't beat a bit of Doujin on the PC too though!

FuriousT

n00b
Love the Mega Drive:
Thunderforces 2,3,4 - 3 being my all time fave shooter
Gaiares
Musha Aleste
Gynoug
Bio Hazard Battle
The Toaplan conversions - Twin Cobra, Zero Wing, Hellfire, Fire Shark, Twin Hawk
To name a few, there are so many others

OK, not the bullet hell / bullet curtain shooters of late, but great blasts easily available at reasonable prices.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Love the Mega Drive:
Thunderforces 2,3,4 - 3 being my all time fave shooter
Gaiares
Musha Aleste
Gynoug
Bio Hazard Battle
The Toaplan conversions - Twin Cobra, Zero Wing, Hellfire, Fire Shark, Twin Hawk
To name a few, there are so many others

OK, not the bullet hell / bullet curtain shooters of late, but great blasts easily available at reasonable prices.

Mr.T you are my new best friend.

Thunder Force III is definitely one of my favourites of all time.
That and Fire Shark were two of my first games I bought on the Megadrive.

Zero Wing and Gynoug are definitely up there too.

Currently trying to track down a Thunderforce AC PCB to stick in one of my cabs - not an easy one to find.

FuriousT

n00b
Currently trying to track down a Thunderforce AC PCB to stick in one of my cabs - not an easy one to find.

Have you played it? It's basically a "different" (I wouldn't say better) TF3 without the stage select that seems to be based on S16 hardware.

Thunder Spirits on the SNES seems to be a conversion of it. TF3 original is better than both IMO. But hey, it'd still be a cool board to have.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most underrated shoot on MD - Granada. Imagine Gauntlet with tanks...

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I guess i'll be adding onto the SATURN pile, but its just really not close.

You have the Known Epics:
Battle Garegga
Radiant Silvergun
DoDonPachi
Batsugun

The Not as Well Known Epics:
Blast Wind
Steam Hearts (yes, also on PCE)
Gekirindan

The great HORIZONTAL:
Thunder Force Gold Packs 1, 2 and TFV

The Oddities:
Kingdom Grand Prix
The Game Paradise

The Cuties:
Detana Twinbee
Cotton 2 and Boomerang
Parodius x 3

And then you round it out w/stuff the would be in the top 10 in any other library:
Silhouette Mirage
Soukyugurentai
Guardian Force
Layer Section 1 / 2
DeZaemon
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack
Donpachi

Yeah, just not close.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
You forgot the Psikyo games!

Gunbird
Strikers 1955 1&2
Sengoku Blade
... Sol Divide lol

Then there's

Sonic Wings Special
Kyukyokuu Tiger 2 Plus
Darius 2 and Darius Gaiden
Hyper Duel
X-Multiply&Image Fight
Gun Frontier
Parodius (Sexy, Chatting, Deluxe)
Twinbee Deluxe

Saturn is King of Shmups, no doubt about it.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Have you played it? It's basically a "different" (I wouldn't say better) TF3 without the stage select that seems to be based on S16 hardware.

Thunder Spirits on the SNES seems to be a conversion of it. TF3 original is better than both IMO. But hey, it'd still be a cool board to have.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most underrated shoot on MD - Granada. Imagine Gauntlet with tanks...

I Havn;t played Thunder Force AC, but have Thunder Spirits on the SFC and ThunderForce III is how a shooter should be so I really want the PCB in my cab.

And good shout with Granda.. I got that soon after it came out and it is an absoltuley fantastic shooter. I am goign to have to dig that one out again... it has been a few years since I have played it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
On the retro side of shooters

Saturn
PC-Engine
Genesis:For wich i'm getting one soon again.
Dreamcast
Famicom

I got nothing on the modern ones i never got into importing for the PS2 and no 360 here either.

hermosaguy

Geese's Thug
Sega Saturn
Xbox 360
Dreamcast

Never thought I'd see the day where I'd prefer firing up Ikaruga on my 360 over my DC

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
360. From Gyruss to cave's latest, a big chunk of what I play is here. If Konami/Hudson ever port the PCE/TG16 app to xbla, the case is closed.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
Cave's arcade shmups on JP Xbox 360 is hard to beat, but I am still partial to my Saturn. There are so many great shooters on Saturn and of course it has always been about RS. That said, I have Deathsmiles on the screen tonight. tlh

Cool thread, I love shmups.

My favourite platform for this genre is definitely the Saturn. The pad (jap version best), the awesome 2d capabilities, the massive library of excellent shooters and of course Radiant Silvergun.

Honourable mentions go to the Mega Drive (M.U.S.H.A, TFIV,) .....and not forgetting the Dreamcast which is actually getting ANOTHER shmup soon (Sturmwind).

Probably makes me look like a massive SEGA hoar now.....which I am

man9child

Rugal's Thug
I'll go with the 360 with the Saturn as a close second. My problem with a lot of Saturn ports is that they are compromised in some way from the arcade version. Modern Cave is really nice, but Saturn has more variety, too.

zpeakabonk

n00b
pc engine

spriggan
gun hed
super star soldier
cotton
sapphire
final soldier
and lots and lot s more

Bardoly

n00b
The TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine platform in my experience is really good and has a lot of shoot-'em-ups. It would be my favorite platform for this genre.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
My choices have to bounce between the SNES, PS1, Sega Saturn and Dreamcast.
I can't decide which one I like better.

The Xbox 360 has alot of good ports of Shmups, but I hate the Xbox 360 itself. I did ended up getting the Xbox 360 for a number of titles,Triggerheart Exelica and Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram was on that list, later I was ecstatic that the Saturn Classic Radiant Silver gun was on there. Is it sad the majority of Xbox 360 games I own are XBLA titles that are XBLA exclusives. If any of them end up on the PS3, I buy the PS3 version.