you found out you can't post new threads in the master forum! what can you do?

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Ill post this on the tech forum for you so someone can help you!

the monitor thread

you can reply on the thread now and please explain your problem in more detail if you can, I know you tried already just any more details will help you solve this faster! I also noticed that threads with pics on the tech forum get better results and faster solutions include some if you can!

Last edited:

prabmire

n00b
Ah ha! i found the thread i can post in! im prab 23 and joining up to the forums, i'm mad into my gaming, i gotta say my saturn is my fav console! i snagged a deal on ebay usa, managed to get a Neo Geo CD, 4 top titles and 2 pads for £150gbp delivered to the UK, can't wait for it to arrive! i figured this is the cheaper way for me to build up a decent collection instead of an AES where some games can cost sooooo much! I've had my NGP pocket for a while now and will be doing a backlight mod shortly!

good to meet you all

Prab

toricmedia

n00b
Hmmm ... wish someone would have told me I couldn't post new threads when I became a member. I thought I had done something wrong - I must have clicked on the activation email link about 10 times. I've been thinking I had been banned or something ... for what I don't know, but it must've been something really bad ;-).

Anyway, I received a 4-slot MVS cabinet for my birthday, in somewhat working order. I wanted a project, so wasn't too fussed on its condition. Turns out, its not that bad, albeit with some problems I was hoping I could get sorted on these forums.

This will be my third machine to re-furbish, but my first neo geo.

Hope I can get involved in some threads, but my knowledge is limited ... seems only fair though .. otherwise its like eating and running.

Tony.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So after much thinking, I've decided to go with a consolized MVS instead of going with an AES with a MVS converter. I have to admit that I'm here to hopefully get good deals in the Buy, Sell, Trade Forums, but I'm unable to PM anyone there to barter.

Anyway, is my decision to consolize an MVS a good decision? I'm handy with a soldering iron and I'm not afraid to get soldering on it.

BenTAxeL

n00b
Well this seems to be where all us noobs start out. So hi from Australia.

I recently acquired a 4 slot cab with the dreaded cross hatch issue. After taking the PCB out found the boards to be filthy so I have cleaned them and when they dry I will try re install and see how I go.
Didn't know what to use to clean it so I used boiled water and detergent and the hair dryer to blow out and dry up 99% of the water figure its best to leave them overnight to make sure they're 100% dry.
After seeing the battery thread I removed that to find the back had started leaking but no real damage done to the board and now that they're clean they look good visually at least.

A multi meter to check all the power connectors will be the next bet and some alcohol to clean all the sockets and figures crossed I'll have myself a working machine.

My question is if the board is no good can I replace it with a Jap one and still run my games? Or are the boards regional?

BenTAxeL

n00b
So after more research I answered my own question yes they are regional.
On a lighter note my board now works :) amazing what a good clean will do.
Now onto the Carts. I have 1 that works perfectly in all 4 slots so I can assume all slots work as they should.
I have 1 with good Video but dogey audio in all 4
1 that has vertical lines and crappy sound how bad seems to vary from slot to slot.
And 1 that is all garbled no matter where its placed.

All 4 carts in gets varied results depending on the mood of my machine and where they are.

So give the carts a good clean and go from there again.

Big thanks to all here that have contributed to assisting noobs like myself fix what most would simply junk so far best $100 I've spent in a long time

Lifespan

n00b
Brand new 4 slot owner here. It's working, though the cabinet has seen better days. Are there any good resources for refurbishment like replacement graphics?

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Brand new 4 slot owner here. It's working, though the cabinet has seen better days. Are there any good resources for refurbishment like replacement graphics?

There is a member here called electricgrave who might link you to some.

fatboy

n00b
Howdy folks, another new guy here. I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces here from both heypoorplayer and sega-16's forums. I don't actually own any Neo hardware, the reason I joined up is that I'm building a supergun, and most of My info searches on the net usually point Me here. Seems to be a lot of arcade loven' going on here. In particular, I wanted to ask some questions regarding the audio attenuation circuit most people use for their jamma boards.
There are a lot of hows out there, but no one ever explains the whys, like; Why the 1K resistor going to ground? wouldn't this be like shorting the signal to ground, or does the 1K fix this? Also, on the designs that have an attenuation cut-off switch, the switch usually cuts the 10k in line out of the equation, but there's still a path for the signal to travel back to the 1K/ground line, is this really safe?
My knowledge of electrical design is, obviously, very limited, so I'd like to understand how this circuit works before I plug My Aurail or E-SWAT pcb's to it.
I'm also trying to figure out if some of the attenuation circuits I've come up with will work, like My anything-goes version here:

supergun_audio_schematic_03a.png

I think I'm going to have trouble with this design, because pin L makes contact with the attenuation circuit and it's ground line in ether it's "on" or "off" position, which is a no-no as I understand.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Hi there fatboy and welcome aboard.
Have you checked the tech section of the forums?

Hello, new to the NG community (well I already had a NG CD)...but not new in the retrogaming world...I am Laurent 43, from Belgium....retrogamer for 10 years now, more into 8 bits systems (Atari consoles, Vectrex,....) from common machines to rarer stuff (Creativision, Tomy Tutor, Sord M5,...). I always wanted to collect/play on the Neo Geo BUT I dont like beat'em all/fight games, what attracts me to Neo Geo stuff are the fantastic shmups and other arcade like games (Neo Mr Do,....). Seeing that I am not prepared to invest huge amount of money per game.I thought of buying a NG AES console and a converter to be able to plug MVS games but apparently those converters are quite expensive and everybody told me I should for a AES system+ Supergun. Now my next question is ...is it possible to find a multicart (108 in 1) in AES format? if so, then I can wait to find and buy AES individual games at my own rythm ?

fatboy

n00b
Hey ya' Ratson, I assume You're the same ratson as the one at heypoorplayer, right? Yeah, I've browsed the tech boards, it's a hellava thing though. What brought Me here was a thread in the tech forum that I found through a search engine:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?204537-Wiring-supergun-for-Stereo(neo)-and-dual-mono.

Thing is, when I browse the tech forum, I can't find this thread. In fact, I'm only seeing two pages of threads in the tech forum. I kind of figured there'd be more, considering how long this site's been around. Oh well, still wanted to join anyways. I'm hoping that after My supergun is finished, maybe I can get My hands on a single-slot MVS board and get into the Neo's library. I was watching videos of the Shock trooper series on youtube, looks very Metal Slug-ish, so Me want, Me want baaaaad.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Hello, new to the NG community (well I already had a NG CD)...but not new in the retrogaming world...I am Laurent 43, from Belgium....retrogamer for 10 years now, more into 8 bits systems (Atari consoles, Vectrex,....) from common machines to rarer stuff (Creativision, Tomy Tutor, Sord M5,...). I always wanted to collect/play on the Neo Geo BUT I dont like beat'em all/fight games, what attracts me to Neo Geo stuff are the fantastic shmups and other arcade like games (Neo Mr Do,....). Seeing that I am not prepared to invest huge amount of money per game.I thought of buying a NG AES console and a converter to be able to plug MVS games but apparently those converters are quite expensive and everybody told me I should for a AES system+ Supergun. Now my next question is ...is it possible to find a multicart (108 in 1) in AES format? if so, then I can wait to find and buy AES individual games at my own rythm ?

CMVS would be the cheapest way to go if you don't have room for a complete cab.

Hey ya' Ratson, I assume You're the same ratson as the one at heypoorplayer, right? Yeah, I've browsed the tech boards, it's a hellava thing though. What brought Me here was a thread in the tech forum that I found through a search engine:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?204537-Wiring-supergun-for-Stereo(neo)-and-dual-mono.

Thing is, when I browse the tech forum, I can't find this thread. In fact, I'm only seeing two pages of threads in the tech forum. I kind of figured there'd be more, considering how long this site's been around. Oh well, still wanted to join anyways. I'm hoping that after My supergun is finished, maybe I can get My hands on a single-slot MVS board and get into the Neo's library. I was watching videos of the Shock trooper series on youtube, looks very Metal Slug-ish, so Me want, Me want baaaaad.

Yes the same one from heypoorplayer, if you go to settings and then go to my settings on the left side of the page, choose General Settings, you can change the option of wich threads are shown by changing Default Thread Age Cutoff to Show all threads and you should get the old and dead threads too. Hope this helps. Shocktroopers is indeed an awesome game. Both of them are actually.

fatboy

n00b
Thanks Ratson, the settings change did the trick, I can see all the older threads now. :)

Hello, I'm Chris, 33, from the Netherlands, and I've been an avid retro-gamer ever since they killed the cartridge I guess.
My first time attempt to post a thread failed due to lack of permission, so I guess this is where I ask my question;
I've just started a neo geo mvs collection and what I've noticed is that a lot of the mvs carts have warranty labels placed on the mvs label on the spine of the cart.
So what I would like to know is: what is the best way to remove these warranty labels without damaging the original mvs label.
I realise there will probably be some glue left and some color difference, but what I don't want to do is tear off some of the original label.
So... any suggestions ? Any help / comments would be much appreciated.

gaijinsan

n00b
Hello Everyone, I'm New to the forums here (hence this post).
I've just bought a MVS-1FZ board, the problem is that I seem to be getting a bios problem screen and after installing the UniBios I still get the same screen. I'll try and post a picture but I don't hold out much hope with my forum access ATM. After I've got my logic probe where is the best place to start diagnosing the problem?
matthewalanpowell

gaijinsan

n00b
Hi guys me again. I tried my board again but this time kept and eye on the voltage I was putting through. It was originally putting through only 4.8V so I changed the adapter to a better one and I now get the calendar error. Now for that problem I know can easily find a fix for it.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I guess I'll post here I am new and found this site wanting to consolize a MVS since buying my AES realizing how much games cost for it :lol:

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Hello,
I am glad that I found this post. How can I start/post new threads? Isn't kind of catch 22? I mean you have to be able to post in order to accumulate experience/post numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since this is really frustrating.

^ Yeah I kinda feel you. Bought a nice clean red machine last week, but have to earn my way to PM? I guess I'll play

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
^ Yeah I kinda feel you. Bought a nice clean red machine last week, but have to earn my way to PM? I guess I'll play

its just a way to weed out spambots, flippers, and market abusers from good contributing members. congrats on the big red, but remember you are joining an older established forum and a lot of the long term members dont have the patience for new members who abuse this place. Its only temporary and your restricted time will be over before you know it. it's not a matter of 'playing along' it's a matter of paying your dues- if you dont like it, dont stay. otherwise its a pretty decent group and a pretty active forum.

Fair enough. I tell you this - am I GLAD that I happen to live apparently 15 min from channel maniacs shop in case I have any board problems :D