you found out you can't post new threads in the master forum! what can you do?

Talvos

n00b
Howdy! New here, and new to the whole arcade scene in general.

I just bought a Sega RingWide w/ Melty Blood and have some really newbie questions related to the PSU.

1) Can I wire the input of the PSU to a standard cable that plugs into the wall? or does it need to go through something else?

2) The board appears to have a place to wire a ground wire to, but it is not being used by the current cable attached to it. Why is this? Should I wire it?

3) I live in the US, but the equipment came from the UK. Should there be concern about different power standards for the input of the PSU?

Sorry about the silly questions in this 'new people who cant post threads' thread. I had no luck finding a manual or guide.

Attached is a picture of the PSU.

Attachments

• ringwide_psu.png
    ringwide_psu.png
    838.7 KB · Views: 158

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've noticed something... that a FEW of you guys registrating on Ng.com are here for Tech Support...

HENCE, I've created this THREAD...

I'm looking at views from members who contribute in this thread for their opinions...

xROTx

PS. I am NOT promising anything... but I will sit down... think about it... and ask some of the lads...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hello N00bs...

You may now Access The Tech Support... forums...

You will now be able to:

1. Create Threads.
2. Edit posts.

...This maybe reversed if I see members spamming the Tech Forums...

xROTx

melaleuca

n00b
Hi I'm new here and I'm looking to post my neo geo four slot cab restore. I basically have zero permission to do anything. I would love some help in the proper direction.

Hi guys! I'm new here and I'm looking to get in with the arcade community, and neo-geo forums seemed like a really good website! I've heard of (and seen) how many people know each other and such, so I've made my account (and now my first post) and I'm working on getting my first cab'. I thought neo-geo forums might be a good place to start. Hope I can blend in quick because everyone here seems like family, but the kind of family that likes to insult each other. :lolz:

When I get my first cab (no matter how long it may be, because it might be a while) I hope I can find help with it here :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Hi I'm new here and I'm looking to post my neo geo four slot cab restore. I basically have zero permission to do anything. I would love some help in the proper direction.
Hi. The second post of this thread has your answer:
Just be yourself and take part in good discussions (preferrably gameplay-related), then everything will fall into place.

Hi, it's me again. I guess I can't edit yet, so I have a question I want to ask. Can you touch a pcb all over without bricking it? You know, like when you're building a computer, you shouldn't do it on carpet, and you shouldn't touch some parts in certain ways or else it will die... stuff like that. I just want to know so I don't make a stupid mistake when I start this stuff and kill a precious pcb. Thanks.

xsq

My advice would be not to worry too much and google a bit on how to handle electronic components.

In my experience mechanically PCBs usually are pretty robust, if you don't handle them rough and make sure not to bend them/let them bend you'll be fine.

As for electrostatic charge - that is a problem, but you don't have to go crazy. Minimize the danger by discharging yourself (touch something grounded, like a radiator) prior to handling and don't wear clothes that build up electrostatically (like wool, synthetic fibres etc.).

My advice would be not to worry too much and google a bit on how to handle electronic components.

As for electrostatic charge - that is a problem, but you don't have to go crazy. Minimize the danger by discharging yourself (touch something grounded, like a radiator) prior to handling and don't wear clothes that build up electrostatically (like wool, synthetic fibres etc.).

Thanks for the info, I just wasn't sure because I've seen people touch their pcb's all over and seem fine about it, but some people say to be careful about discharging it, so thanks for clearing that up. Rubber gloves would take all risk out of the equation though, right? If so, I think I'll wear those as well since I'm a perfectionist. Wait, if so, does that mean that I could (in theory with good enough gloves) touch the monitor-back/chasis without dying? I obviously wouldn't try this though lol.

xsq

I don't know jack about rubber gloves, but if you're really worried, I'd simply wear an anti-static wrist strap.
I also know nothing about monitor work.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
Thanks for the info, I just wasn't sure because I've seen people touch their pcb's all over and seem fine about it, but some people say to be careful about discharging it, so thanks for clearing that up. Rubber gloves would take all risk out of the equation though, right? If so, I think I'll wear those as well since I'm a perfectionist. Wait, if so, does that mean that I could (in theory with good enough gloves) touch the monitor-back/chasis without dying? I obviously wouldn't try this though lol.

No hobbyist I know wears rubber gloves to do any kind of soldering work.
All you need to do is touch grounded metal and you're fine. Keeping things in Anti-static bags and junk are just a bonus.

Hell I pick up my Sunset Riders PCB up all the time without touching grounded metal and nothing bad has come of it. PCB's are designed to be robust. If any minor electrical shock ruined them they would almost all certainly be garbage at this point.

If you're talking about discharging a CRT I highly suggest NOT doing it if you have no idea what you're doing because you are incredibly liable to kill yourself doing so.

Ok, I get it, I didn't know that they were THAT durable. If I was to discharge a monitor, I already know what to do because I've seen a lot of videos, but I still would be very careful and have a video by my side the whole time.

broken5

n00b
Hi all, I just purchased my first arcade cabinet (Neo Geo 2 slot) not long ago and I am in the process of restoring it due to some blemishes and damage that I do not like looking at. Not to mention that I just want this thing to shine like it is brand new!

I have removed the vinyl off of the cabinet and it seems like there is a sheer layer of adhesive on the cabinet. I tried scraping it but it wasn't coming off so I did some google searching and found that I could use goof off to remove it. I have been trying that but it seems like this is going to take forever.

My question is, do I need to remove the thin layer of adhesive? This is something I could not seem to find a clear answer on when searching. Some people are saying you need to remove the adhesive or paint will not adhere properly but others are saying you can put oil based primer on and it will be fine. Then I started reading that it might not even be adhesive but it could be a clear coat which should remain on it to help seal the wood.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Klonoa13

n00b
Hello There! I'm new to the Neo Geo Forum! Hope we can get along just fine and discuss our love for SNK's Neo Geo Games and Hardware! >w<

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hi all, I just purchased my first arcade cabinet (Neo Geo 2 slot) not long ago and I am in the process of restoring it due to some blemishes and damage that I do not like looking at. Not to mention that I just want this thing to shine like it is brand new!

I have removed the vinyl off of the cabinet and it seems like there is a sheer layer of adhesive on the cabinet. I tried scraping it but it wasn't coming off so I did some google searching and found that I could use goof off to remove it. I have been trying that but it seems like this is going to take forever.

My question is, do I need to remove the thin layer of adhesive? This is something I could not seem to find a clear answer on when searching. Some people are saying you need to remove the adhesive or paint will not adhere properly but others are saying you can put oil based primer on and it will be fine. Then I started reading that it might not even be adhesive but it could be a clear coat which should remain on it to help seal the wood.

Thanks for the help in advance!

ALL n00bs have now access to the Tech Support Forums...

Just post all enquiries there...

xROTx

PS. Make sure you put it in the right tech forum tho... the lads get frustrated by that sorta thing...

Eurotimmy

n00b
Hi all, I'm lurking away here, reading and learning but finding my way about the forums without the ability to view attached images is tough.
Each time my issues & consolization questions have answers in the forum I can't see what images people have posted, I get a 'you don't have permission' message.
Any advice when / how I might make it to a status where I can see the images?
Cheers

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I could give you my detailed advice, only it had to be in the form of an attached image... so, why don't you just look at them images while being 'logged in' instead and let the problem solve itself?

dewisp02

n00b
Have a 2-slot gold and a 2 slot red. Which do you guys prefer? The 25" monitor is nice, but I really love the way the gold cab pulls me into the gameplay with its design.

xsq

Have a 2-slot gold and a 2 slot red. Which do you guys prefer? The 25" monitor is nice, but I really love the way the gold cab pulls me into the gameplay with its design.
Hi. Welcome to the forums. You are not what you own.

I only ever played a Knockoff french Cab, so I can't say :(

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
HA do I feel like a NOOB I was wondering why I could not post a welcome post.

I been gaming since the NES days and I remember renting an AES as a kid and really enjoying it. I did some free mod work for a fellow gamer here in Dallas and he rewarded me months later by saying a local guy was giving away a 2 slot mvs cab that needed to be restored. I been researching how to get it restored and a lot of the most important information I have learned has come from here. I really enjoy bringing old electronics back to life so they can be enjoyed by more people.

I am looking forward to being part of this community.

xsq

welcome! Sitck around and once you can, post a thread with some pics of your restore progress ;)

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the welcome I sure will show some pics once I can. This past weekend I spent time cleaning the cab on the inside. There was so much rat droppings it was disgusting.

I have the 2 slot board cleaned and I removed the leaking battery. I can't get the monitor working yet so have no clue how damaged the board is from the corrosion. The NEO-XMC2 has some broken legs that came off at the base so no place to jumper the wires. Not sure if it will work or not. My next step is getting a new power supply for the cab. Right now when I plug it in all I get is the marquee lights turn on but no activity on the monitor.

It's all good though it was free and will be even sweeter once I get the cab working.